Anti Alias setting?

Rocky

Here is a copy paste from a post on Nvidia card forums.

Seems ther eis a way to get HDR working with HDR on Nvidia cards if the HDR is programed in a specific way.

Here it is:

I tend to go with HDR as the lighting effects are worth more to me than AA smoothing at 1680x1050. I did contact Brian Burke from nVidia to see what they had to say about 79xx hardware running HDR and AA and this was the reply:

Quote:

"Two key hardware features present in GeForce 6 and GeForce 7 GPUs that accelerate and enable great HDR effects include FP16 texture filtering and FP16 frame-buffer blending. There are many ways to accomplish AA and HDR simultaneously in applications. Some games like Half Life 2 Lost Coast use an integer-based HDR technique, and in such games, the GeForce 6 and GeForce 7 chips can render HDR with MSAA simultaneously using that method. The GeForce 6 and GeForce 7 series GPUs do not support simultaneous multisampled AA (MSAA) and FP16 blending in hardware (the method used in 3dMark 2006)." 

Dawn

Ah, good info thanks. So this earlier post you made is not so correct?

Nvidia has said HDR and AA at the same time will not be supported until the 8 series meaning the next gen card they put on the market.

Seems like Nvidia can't make there minds up! :wacko:

Yes earlier post IS correct. Nvidia only had HDR working if HDR was programed in a specific way. And that wasnt even possible until the 78 drivers they came out with.

The problem is that most developers use the other way of programing HDR(maybe it's an easier way) so 90% of games that come out today with HDR is not nvidia AA friendly.

I prefer nvidia cards to be honost, but in the HDR case ATI seems to have beat nvidia since they incorporated it into their cards already in the right way.

Nvidia announced some time ago that they wont be using this way until the 8 series arrives. Which should be around the same time as Vista comes out.

Dawn

hehe, yes that would be the summerize of it ;)

BUT...I still havnt seen any of the ATI users come out saying AA works for them.

I would still like to hear something from the ATI users on this issue

Dawn

If AA is not working with HDR in GRAW, then what happens if you turn it off, instead of setting it 4x or such. There should be no difference, right??

I have an 7800gs I'm waiting to install, and don't wan't to if the ATI would be superior.

Anyone want to try this??

If AA is not working with HDR in GRAW, then what happens if you turn it off, instead of setting it 4x or such.  There should be no difference, right??

I have an 7800gs I'm waiting to install, and don't wan't to if the ATI would be superior.

Anyone want to try this??

There is no differnce no matter if you set AA to 4 or off in control panel. It doesnt work with Nvidia.

Dawn

I have the 1900xtx and I have it enabled in the control panel.

It still doesnt have any jaggies removed.

It still looks as ugly as it did before.

So I don't know if ATi needs to release an update to enable it or something.

Really annoying, when you have 4xAA enabled in the control panel, and the jaggies look just as bad as before.

Meh, oh well. I can over look it just fine.

Really annoying, when you have 4xAA enabled in the control panel, and the jaggies look just as bad as before.

Meh, oh well.  I can over look it just fine.

Ahh thats actually good news, cause that makes it sound like it's a GRIN engine problem and hopefully GRIN can issue an update then.

Cause normally ATI owners wouldn't experience this problem with HDR games.

Dawn

Meh, oh well.  I can over look it just fine.

Ahh thats actually good news, cause that makes it sound like it's a GRIN engine problem and hopefully GRIN can issue an update then.

Cause normally ATI owners wouldn't experience this problem with HDR games.

Dawn

lots of ATI owners saying the same thing over in this thread at UBI, no AA

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc...13/m/7521090734

:Db::Korven+Apr 27 2006, 01:27 AM-->

QUOTE(::Db::Korven @ Apr 27 2006, 01:27 AM)
So,

The FPS is choppy and slow already, 15-40FPS and when GRIN gives us AA option it'll increase???  :blink:

I don't think so...

Is it HDR that makes the FPS choppy even with new gfx-cards?

choppy and slow for you, but not for those with uber graphics cards who would like to play without the game looking ugly.