Demo/ Feed back and update.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just signed up to post my feedback...

My system comprises an AMD 64 3200+ (OC @ 2.5GHz), 2GB RAM, 7800GT, Audigy 2 ZS, Raptor HD for OS.

I am getting 30-40fps (most of the time, a solid 38). Everything is maxed (except textures which can't go past medium) and running at 1280x1024.

I'm getting no slowdowns, lagginess (including the intro), crashes (except the one from the menu screen).

My complaints

- Why are your guys so ORANGE? It looks crap and spoils the immersion factor for me. It makes me feel like I am playing with those little green army men (except orange of course).

- I wish I could turn off HDR and implement bloom + AA for this game like with Oblivion. Although, at least with Oblivion you don't really notice the jaggies so I prefer HDR on. But, with GRAW, damn, at the res I play at, the jaggies are ridiculous.

- Stupid prone aiming (or lack of).

- changing weapons feels clumsy.

- The enemy seem to be able to see me if one of my hairs is sticking out from a corner!

- Can't get up to the same positions that enemy snipers are. Loses realism points.

Mostly I'm just disappointed with the graphics. They look nothing like I was expecting after being shown all the promotional material.

Things i think need changed.

-Sniper rifle ret doesnt move any making it very easy to kill enemies.

-Id like the grenades to throw when i let go of my mouse button so they dont throw like a girl and land in my face.

-Crouching and not being able to aim up..you have to stand up to aim fully up.

-M9 shoots to slow and Glock18c shoots to fast

-Engine seems unoptimized

-Weapon Loadout- What happens when you have more weapons on the space on the left, no room for a scroll bar?

-Weapon Skin choice..meaning i cant pick if i want a dark colored skin or light depending on where i go..ala you didnt think much about mod support. If i had a snow map but with some urban inside i cant pick from a south african snow camo/ all white/ US snow camo/ etc..etc.

-Lack of thought for future modding- read my weapon and skin feedback.

Also forgot-

- Friendly AI take a whole 30 rounds to kill. I wanted to see how easy it was to kill my friendly AI and after unloading a whole mag of m9 rounds..reloading and unloading another into the AIs head i switched to my scar and unloaded a full mag at this body...he finally died after. ######..this wasnt the helmet either it was in the face.

Not that i wanna kill my friendly AI but if it takes 2 mags to kill one from an enemy gun thats just rediculous!

Edited by GRT

One thing I think needs to be remembered is that we are all starting at ground zero here.

A lot of the things I am reading came about through time and modding effort.

I have several buddies who didnt start playing GR until 2+ years ago.....so as soon as they fired up GR for the first time..they started getting MODS.

The MODS WILL COME>

GIVE IT TIME....and dont expect everything we had.....right now.

HACK

Winnie 3000+

Gigabytenforce 3 ultra

gig of kingston pc 3200

ATI X800xl

Audigy 2 ZS

Game runs great for me @ 1280x1024x85hz everything max ive seen it drop to 20fps but didnt notice any stuttering or slow mo problems.

Ill be buying this for sure just maybe a bigger cpu is needed, overall im loving it some of the old crew and i have been playing it with Hamachi without any real issues Novaman infact ahs it running quite well on a Barton 2500/9600pro

Athlon 64 3000+

Asus K8N

1 Gig Ram

Leadtek 6600TD 256

I was surprised that it runs fairly well on my system (not perfect, but what is?) at 1024x768 with 4xAni, low post effects quality and everything else set on medium, with a few things set on high in the render settings XML.

Apart from the friendly AI controls (I would have preffered a simpler BIA style scheme), I'm really enjoying it.

I hate to say this but I was never a ghost recon fan, but now I am ,I love the graphics I would rate it up there with Doom 3 but it does not scare the hell out of me. I updated my drivers and have no problems, as for the mouse I see no problems with it. The only problems I see are the orange diamond or the diamond… having the number under them is enough for me. The other problem is I would like to be able too change the cross hairs don’t like the one in the game. :D

The demo is pretty good, but there are things I feel could have been better concerning the layout and controls:

- Quick squad commands via the mouse trackwheel are kinda cumbersome; especially since the majority of the time I just use move to and follow.

- There should be an option, like in the original GR1, to disable parts of the HUD via the function buttons at the top of the keyboard. I get kinda annoyed at how the team status bars are floating around because they nerf my perhipheral vision.

- There should be an option to disable the little realtime camera that pops up when you select a teammate or the entire ghost team via the number keypads or tilde, respectively, while not in the tactical overview map. It reduces my already tiny perhiperal vision. It's rather useless anyway.

- We should be able to bind certain quick squad commands to buttons. GRAW has a lot of commands already, but there are still more buttons on the keyboard. It would be nice to bind certain weapons to specific keys as well.

- Give us more flexibility concerning grenades. I know that it's in our best interests to throw grenades ASAP (less exposure to enemy fire and the explosive device gets farther away from you faster), but why do we have to release the spoon? That should be an option. Like holding down the left mouse button should just pull the pin and pull your arm back for the throw and right clicking will release the spoon for cooking it off. Releasing the left mouse button will throw it in all cases.

- Why can't Ghost AI teammates be given hand grenades?

- The lack of any kind of formal aiming device for the grenade launchers, like quadrant or leaf sights. Feels so inaccurate and since we don't have a laser range finder or some kind of training course or picture that tells us what something at 20m looks like so the reticule would actually be useful, bah. I'd kill for a meterstick ingame.

- The M99 sniper rifle is a poor choice for urban combat. Bolt action in an urban enviroment? At least a semiauto rifle if you ask me. It would be better if we could slap an ACOG on a DMR SCAR-H or M8 for a marksman.

- Why is it that a person armed with a 5.56 AR (i.e.: SCAR-L, M8) can take G36 mags and HK21e ammo boxes? If anything, the latter should be reserved for the Mk48. Of course, one could cry that "BUT HK21E AMMO BOXES ARE DIFFERENT FROM MK48 AMMO BOXES". So? G36 mags are different from the STANAG mags the SCAR-L uses. At least they share the same caliber ammo :rolleyes:.

- My teammates should shut the hell up and stop saying that they're "reloading" every five seconds if they run out of ammo. We really need to have some sort of system in place for that. I personally never run out of ammo as I use semi-auto only, but Ghost AI is absurdly trigger happy and never fires on semi anymore. Maybe if the we run completely dry we should be able to swap for a weapon on the ground similar to what they orginally had (e.g.: if you had an Mk48, get an hk21e ASAP, but taken a G36 if you must. Riflemen and snipers take G36s and are happy with them)? At least let the AI do it.

- The option to select additional ammo, in addition to the third slot, for the second slot if we don't want a pistol or secondary weapon. Because pistols are useless as I will well nigh be done reloading by the time I get my pistol out, give or take a second. But that second lets me fire a much more effective weapon, and if you're squabbling over a second, you're basically dead anyway because the Mexicans must be on top of you now and a 9mm isn't going to get them off.

- Option to disable the crosshair for the masochists?

- Give us the option of selecting two out of three of the Ghosts so we can command them at the same time. I attempted to have two ghosts stick together and go around for a flanking manuever during the first encounter with a stationary machinegun, but it was so painfully tedious with all the micromanaging because I wanted to keep one Ghost on follow with me.

- SCAR-H is useless as there isn't any notable difference between the lethality of the 5.56 and 7.62 in GRAW and the ranges are hardly making a difference. The optical attachments are useless as well. I mean, if the SCAR-H could have an ACOG only instead of an M68, then it'd be great fun and fill a good niche between AR and super-long-range-.50BMG-sniper-rifle-we-don't-need-in-urban-combat, but it doesn't. I still have to shoot two rounds at everyone on semi to kill them. It's just that with the SCAR-H I have to reload more often and can't relieve dead Mexicans of their ammo. Also, it kicks more and is less accurate than the SCAR-L? It may or may not be like that in real-life (I don't know), but from a gameplay perspective, there is much sadfacing all around due to that. Which leads me to my next point.

- Ghosts should be able to share ammo if one of them goes dry. It would also be nice as it will allow other Ghosts who are going rather light to carry ammo for other, more laden Ghosts (Like machine gunners, snipers, and in some cases grenadiers). This could be accomplished by allowing human player Ghosts to access their "ammo bag" (the thing you get via the third weapon selection menu) via the in-game weapon selection menu and hold a mag like a weapon. We can give them by tossing them like grenades when we left click. Hold it longer, it goes father, etc.

- Why do I drop mags when I reload? Sometimes I hit the r button accidentally instead of e when I'm leaning and I drop my near full mag on the floor. I propose that we should be able to pick up mags we drop during reload after the firefight by going up to the and "using" them with the "use" button. Of course, this means nothing when you've got a 5.56 AR, but it means a lot when you've go the SCAR-H or MRC.

- My Ghost AI teammates apparently think I smell funny, because once I start running ahead, they take their sweet time catching up. They could at least stick a little closer to me so that if I find a bunch of hostile natives they don't have to take public transportation to come and see my bullet-ridden body while having the "follow" command active. Ho ho ho, the irony.

- I miss "Recon/Assault/Supress" and "Recon/Assault/At-All-Costs". It's bad enough that the Ghosts aren't very stealthy anymore, but it's worse now that the Ghost AI automatically lights up any enemy they see when I try to sneak around. Even if they can't hit them.

- I played it on Hard, and it was nowhere near as hard as Elite in GR1. There are hardly any enemies to shoot at, even when we get the dramatic music and are told to hold position. The fact that I'm basically superman now as I can take half a clip and keep on smiling doesn't help. Mexicans that can't aim aren't very intimidating either. Apparently all their G36s are some limited edition version that only fires on 5-round burst and comes with an unrifled barrel. Their HK21es are apparently using PVC piping as barrels.

EDIT: Apparently using a word that is synomous with pulling one's arm back to prepare for a throw and cycling a shotgun is censored. Reworded it so it would be understandable.

EDIT2: Spelling.

Edited by SFC.Nublar

Not to excited about the demo as I didn't even finish the mission through last night. Jaggies are awful and the prone shooting really sucks and my soldiers had a bad habit of wanting to walk into my line of fire.  :( My biggest gripe is no soldier switching as I'm not into that whole one hero thing (I'm Batman,I'm Scott Mitchell etc.) and I don't think SF soldiers would be stupid enough to only have one man capable of leading a mission. Mitchell's dead boys and since the rest of you are to dumb to carry on missions over.  :wall: It seems to have a lot more promise than some of the other games I've played (MOH-COD) but it seems about on par with BIA only bigger maps. Will give it another try after work today but as I see it now GR far outclasses it.

After further review. Good game and even somewhat better than my first impression. :) 1. The Mexicans spotting distance leaves a whole lot to be desired as no matter how sneaking I could be some areas seemed to be scripted where no matter what I did they spot me right off the bat and fire away. 2. To me body awareness was a waste of time and effort that should have been spent elsewhere as I really don't see how it adds to gameplay at all. 3. Map was cool but all the buildings seemed way to well kept to me. Cans and cartons everywhere way overdone and seem out of place where everything looks so nice. I know no civilians will be in the game but a stray dog, cat or even a bird might have helped. :rolleyes: GRAW has a lot of good things working for it and GRIN's done a fine job and should be able to refine it even better. I can only hope the mod tools will allow mission scripting as I only play SP. :) Sure I would have rather had a graphics update of good old GR with the best A.I. ever dreamed of but that didn't happen so GRAW might be the next best thing. :grin1:

Had a laugh-out-loud moment...................... :D

Enemy was running down street to opposite side and as I watched him, I aimed my GL toward the wall he was running into.

Hit it just right , grenade exploded on wall..................knocking him t**s over tea kettles, (as the expression goes.......) LMAO....... :rofl:

Never saw THAT in GR1............................kingkat

The power of the SCAR H and SCAR L are not noticeable.

Enemy AI can see you, no matter how sneaky you are.

1 shot center mass with any rifle except the 50 will knock the bad guy down but they always get back up??

I've been shot upward of 6 times before I've been killed?? What kinda body armor am I wearing? Most all body armor cannot protect against 5.56 x 45 under 100m. Maybe I been getting shot in the arms and legs? It would be nice to have the body hit display back so I know where I've been hit.

1 shot center mass with any rifle except the 50 will knock the bad guy down but they always get back up??

I've been shot upward of 6 times before I've been killed?? What kinda body armor am I wearing? Most all body armor cannot protect against 5.56 x 45 under 100m. Maybe I been getting shot in the arms and legs? It would be nice to have the body hit display back so I know where I've been hit.

Ive snuck up behind two enemy and shot them both with my m9

As the story goes the enemy are rogue military? So they would have trama plates under/in their vests.

Military body armor can stop that round..you also have to think its 2013 so the armor may be better then what we have now.

http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,1463..._PArmor,00.html

quote: from Ikillintel

I'm not having any of the problems you guys have posted, from install to the end of the map has been smooth for me. I have all my settings maxed I use my EAX and screen res at 1280 x 1024. I use the same keys for GRAW that I did for GR1. Using the Number keypad helps when changing weapons and opening doors while Ctrl is used for zooming in, arrow keys for movement, , and . for left and right peek all my keys are within fingertips tap ...close together the closer they are together the faster you can react. I use delete to reload. This is the best setup for me... I've played this way since the first rainbow six came out.

Can you actualy proove that this game is running smooth showing screen shot of settings and fraps fps, as it almost seems imposible that your rig can achive it.  my rig is over double your spec on gfx and cpu and barly get low to med at 1024 x 768.

your rig:

Ikillintel

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Barton  Mine(Sandiego 3700+ @FX57 2.8G)

Gigabyte GA-7N400 PRO2

3Gigs Kingston PC3200 DDR Gamer

160 Gig Maxtor HD 7200 RPM

Audigy2 X-Gamer Pro ZS

ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB  Mine (X800XT 256m)

Diablo CDRW & DVD drives (Blue light)

Spiderman Gamer case custom graphic's & paint

all the pretty red, blue & yellow neon lighting and fans.

550 trueblue pwrsply.

Yeah sure... I'll try to have them posted later this evening man. I have nothing to lie about. :thumbsup:

The body armor looks like that new Dragon Skin stuff.

Edited by Aaronson

Some more feedback/questions...

1. I also noticed that there's little to no difference between the SCAR-L (5.56 x 45 mm) and the SCAR-H (7.62 x 51 mm, although it says '45' on the weapons selection screen)... I think that has to be fixed, as right now the SCAR-H is basically a SCAR-L with a lot more recoil a a lot less ammo.

2. I more than twice would shoot an enemy in the head with the SCAR-H and he wouldn't die, even when he was just wearing a hat. Center-mass shots also are very ineffective even at medium ranges.

3. The Ghosts seem to be able to take a lot of damage before dying (I made a test and it took four 7.62 mm rounds to the head to kill one of my teammates, at close range), so how will this work on MP TvT? I suppose everyone will have the same amount of "health", but will it be more like the Ghosts on the Mexicans? (I'm hoping the Mexicans...) Also, I think everyone should fall to the ground when shot, like your teammates and the Mexicans.

4. I already brought this up, but I'm afraid it probably went unnoticed, so here it goes again: when Auto-reload is OFF, there's no animation of your character pulling the trigger, and there's also no "dead man's click" sound. That helps identifying that you're out of ammo. Also, the weapon part of the HUD should turn red when you're out of ammo.

Now on the positive side, the animations look great (a lot of amazing details, like being able to see yourself changing the firemode on the weapon even from your teammates' perspective) and I really like the HDR, it really captures the bright sunlight in a big city (I live in Sao Paulo).

I just wish I could get a better framerate, I hope it gets improved.

EDIT: Formatting.

Edited by SAF_Night Scope

quote: from Ikillintel

I'm not having any of the problems you guys have posted, from install to the end of the map has been smooth for me. I have all my settings maxed I use my EAX and screen res at 1280 x 1024. I use the same keys for GRAW that I did for GR1. Using the Number keypad helps when changing weapons and opening doors while Ctrl is used for zooming in, arrow keys for movement, , and . for left and right peek all my keys are within fingertips tap ...close together the closer they are together the faster you can react. I use delete to reload. This is the best setup for me... I've played this way since the first rainbow six came out.

Can you actualy proove that this game is running smooth showing screen shot of settings and fraps fps, as it almost seems imposible that your rig can achive it.  my rig is over double your spec on gfx and cpu and barly get low to med at 1024 x 768.

your rig:

Ikillintel

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Barton  Mine(Sandiego 3700+ @FX57 2.8G)

Gigabyte GA-7N400 PRO2

3Gigs Kingston PC3200 DDR Gamer

160 Gig Maxtor HD 7200 RPM

Audigy2 X-Gamer Pro ZS

ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB  Mine (X800XT 256m)

Diablo CDRW & DVD drives (Blue light)

Spiderman Gamer case custom graphic's & paint

all the pretty red, blue & yellow neon lighting and fans.

550 trueblue pwrsply.

Yeah sure... I'll try to have them posted later this evening man. I have nothing to lie about. :thumbsup:

I wasnt calling you a lier m8 just that there lots of people saying their system is running sweet when others are saying with higher end systems its not running hardly at all.

Theres little proof as of yet from people that rekon its realy smooth on lower end systems, me thinking that their idear of smooth is barly playable with bad mouse lag. If they like it lat way its fine but its giving wrong info to otheres that want real smooth game play consistant 45 - 60fps. At 30 - 40fps its real slow on the mouse for my speed of gameplay.