Demo/ Feed back and update.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can choose between Audigy 2, Generic Hardware, Generic Software.  I´m using the newest Creative drivers (from January or February this year, v2.008 or something) AND  I installed the newest OpenAL drivers ( available @ www.openal.org ).  Two openal .dll files (OpenAL32.dll/wrap_oal.dll) are placed into the windows/system32 folder. Since they are newer than the ones which came with the demo, I replaced the demo .dll as well. It shouldn´t be necessary, but it didn´t hurt anything and only took a few seconds.  I have perfectly clean 5.1 sound, no clicking or strange noises.  I´m using Windows 2000 Pro/SP4 with all updates and sound accerlation is maxed out in dxdiag.

Did you have problems like not being able to hear your own gun firing at times BEFORE you did the www.openal.org thing. I don't want to install it unecessarily.

No I didn´t have any sound-related problems before, but then again I have updated my sound drivers before installing the demo. I also had an older version of the openal drivers as well and the only reason why I updated them is because I read that people experienced performance gains by using the latest openal drivers. It´s a simple fix and doesn´t take much work, so I did it. :yes:

I haven't noticed that the AI are more difficult because I play so slowly, with the exception of when I had to run and gun the MG guys by myself because team mate 1 decided to run into the middle of the road and die.

Maybe they're much tougher on the hardest setting/after the limo section.

It always seems to be the guy with the light machine gun that has a spack attack, runs round the corners and starts blazing away then dies. Is this just down to minor errors in programming (or whatever it is), or is his character meant to be some kind of impulsive hot head?? :o=

I don't like the way that they sometimes turn round and face you when the enemies are down the road, this was a major problem for me in the original.

I got to within 4-5 metres of a guy (he was on the other side of a car crouching down). I didn't kow he was there and assumed the street was clear cos we'd just had a firefight with a few of the dead guys around him. None of my team spotted him (i'd set the sniper and the support guy both to covering fire facing the direction i was approaching - while the m8 guy was following me) The only reason I realised something was up was because I happened to notice a red blob on the M8 guy's cross com.

My point is:

If the head cam could see it, doesnt that mean the guy could see it?

If the target showed up on cross com, where was the red diamond on my screen?

Sorry, i've been brainwashed by bf2 and i expect instant UAV overflight :rolleyes:

Was it a small bug, or is this kind of thing supposed to happen to make it feel more realistic?

I was impressed by the graphics and movement. I found it easy to find and kill the AI. Its a matter of patients (peek) Its definately GR with all the details and realism. Ran well I didn't find any issues of great concern yet ,but It will take a little time to set up the keys so its faster to execute. I found the weapons accurate and the sound effects great.

AMD 2.4

2 Gig of ram

Nvidia 7900 GT pci express 256

I disabled EAX and now i get sound through my centre speaker, not sure if that was because I also changed comething from 16bit to 24bit in contol panel, though.... But still, i'm not getting the amazing sound that everyone seems to be talking about. The voices seem loud over cross com and more like a whisper when they're next to you. i get the feeling its supposed to be like that.

I'd like to hear my guns blazing like in RvS. There's just no OOMPH at the moment. Maybe I need to tweak something else. Not giving up, though. I've waited too many years for this to right it off in less than 24hrs :D

Installed the open al thing cos it was only about 600Kb, so I'll have to give it a try later and see how it goes.

Thanks

Strapt, do you have a 5.1 system?

Yeah, sorry. I pressed submit then thought oh I should have listed a few specs

audigy 2 nx (it's external, usb, 5.1)

1GB DDR RAM

barton 2800+ running at 2.08GHz

geforce 6800 gt (256mb)

I'm getting sound from my rear speakers, but its quiet. This isn't a game issue it happens like this anyway. The speech comes through fine it's just the effects through the rear speakers :-/

Speaking of effects :rocky: I went back into options/video and did auto detect and it set my stuff to high this time. Things are sluggish but it looks nicer than it did. I blew up the "armoured vehicle" from the back (no bulletproof glass?) with the gl, there was a bang, a ripple effect, it went black and the doors blew off... :) So i fired another grenade but this time from the front.... The thing went BANG, seemed to lift off the ground, i swear the ripple effect was bigger, it set on fire, the traffic light or whatever was above it came crashing down, the teamate nearby got knocked over by the blast (he was ok after the first one so i must have been a bigger blast), the nearby car got damaged (like the the first vehicle after one hit) and another car that was further away had a car alarm that started going off!!!!

WOW!

All this because I was trying to get the sound of the armoured vehicle to come through the rear speakers as I turned my head. Got p'd off with it and fired a gl at it :rofl:

graw33zw.th.jpg

you have to go try it cos the screenie wont do it justice!!

Game seems ok for me.

I cannot take a screen shot of the options screen.

When trying to ALT + TAB, out to my desktop, I have no mouse, nor can use any applications.

(I was trying to config my speedpad)

Anyone else not able to Get to Desktop and run another app?

I'm thinking, I'm going to have to run Teamspeak 1st before GRAW.

Played some single player and some co-op using BattleLAN. System specs...

Pentium 3.0 HT

Asus P4S800-DE

2GB Ram

Ati All-In-Wonder X800XL Agp 256MB

On-board sound - 2 speakers + powered sub

For me the game looks and plays just fine. I hadn't even noticed the lack of anti-aliasing until I started seeing the posts here about it. They don't bother me or take away from the immersion. The graphics are a quantum leap beyond GR1 which is all I ask for. Gameplay is dead on, to me it feel like I'm playing a Ghost Recon game. That's the highest compliment I can give. Grin nailed the gameplay.

Feedback and issues:

The squad-leader death resulting in a failed mission in co-op is probably my single biggest complaint. I have posted elsewhere defending it as a design choice, and I stand by my arguements, but I also said it wasn't fun and it isn't. This needs to be addressed. Someone suggested it result in a change of mission objectives to the rest of the team playing to reach an evacuation point. Someone else suggested making it possible for another team member to pick up and equip the Cross-Com. Still another option would be a game mode that replaces objectives that only the squad leader could complete with ones that the entire team can do. Personally, I'd be satisfied if a Tango Hunt mode is added later.

The second issue is teammate AI. In general, it is excellent. However, I have had problems where I will move them using the Covering Fire command, tell them where to go and what firing arc to cover, and instead they will move near that point and face a completely different direction. Since there is no way to exercise fine control over their stance and facing, this needs to be tweaked. The AI should be able to go exactly where told and face exactly where told if it is possible, and only if it is impossible try to do the next best thing.

The angle when laying prone on a curb needs to be fixed. It feels as if the player model is laying as stiff as a board, which is what's causing the weird firing angles.

On the weapons loadout screen, it would be helpful if the currently selected weapon model and configuration would light up and display the model, rather than the currently equiped one.

On the tactical map, a reference grid is needed for multiplayer.

Also on the tactical map, the commander should be able to highlight visible enemies so the diamonds show on the teams' HUDs, at least in Co-op play.

Finally on the tactical map, a quick "zoom to soldier x" option needs to be added so it's easier to locate teammates in trouble.

Server settings:

Need an option to turn off the fly-in and briefing, and have a text briefing show up during the level load delay instead. It's neat and immersive in single-player. In co-op, it gets extremely repetitive.

Need an option to toggle the squad-leader death mission failure.

Need an option to set a number of respawns in co-op. I know most people will balk at the realism of that, but the option should be available for server admins who want it.

I cannot play the game. Heres my PC specs:

GeForce FX5500 256MB AGP8

Kingston PC-3200 DDR400 1GB

AMD Athlon 64 bit 3200+

I cant play the game at all. No problem loading the starting page. But when click play, i cant see nothing, all in pitch black, i can hear voice and the small screen on my upper right screen. It also lag very bad even when i run at lowest setting and resolution set to 800x600.

I bet this is only due to vid card. Guys need some help, is it okay if i buy ATI Radeon X1600Pro 256MB DDR2 AGP8 for this game. Can this card take it?

---danish

Yes - you should get slightly better performance than my X800pro 256 AGP. And mine runs fairly well with forced AA on. I do get a long initial load time at the 'black screen' after the intro screens however (1 min or so) before the game main menu comes up. maybe this is demo specific?

The video card you have does not meet the minimum requirements. It has to do with the shaders of that card. If you buy the card you mentioned, you would have no issues at all with the card side of things. Good luck and hope you get it worked out.

YAY!!! i will buy the new vid card today and i will send back the feedback for this game!! thx a lot man. Appreciate it.

---danish

PEOPLE!!!

Don't buy a new video card because of this game. The graphics engine looks pretty but it is too old to be causing you guys all this trouble!! The graphics have been poorly optimized that is all.

Something that HAS to be addressed by GRIN whether they like it or not. <_<

First my system:

P4 2.8c @ 3.2

Asus P4c800e

2gb dual ddr Corsair XMS3500 (4x512)

BFG 6800gs - @ 410/1150 all pipes unlocked 84.43 betas

Not as uber as it used to be:(

When I first loaded up & videocard was detected I had slow frames (20ish) so I thought I'd have a play around with the settings, as you do.

I'm getting between 30-60 now which is acceptable & playable on my system & it looks fine, for me anyway.

Here's what I've set in game:

1024x768

Textures = medium

AF = 8X

Effects = Medium

Shadows & lights = off

Post effects = medium

I've also tweaked the .xml file a bit.

I noticed that frames jumped up @10-15 when running (not rendering the weapon) so I changed all weapons textures to low & set sky textures to low too.

Overall I'm happy with it, I knew I wouldn't be able to run it at max with my system anyway, so I'm not going to grumble.

I haven't played SP much as I'm not one for controlling squads, it's MP I enjoy & that is good so far.

Gotta do something about 'game over when squad leader dies' though:/

Some pics, good enough & they lost a bit from .bmp to .jpg:

Swagger

Higher frames without weapon, hence hacking textures

Need to mess with colour profiles, add some DV & gamma?

I'm gonna die :(

Boom!

Edited by DoubleArd

First my system:

P4 2.8c @ 3.2

Asus P4c800e

2gb dual ddr Corsair XMS3500 (4x512)

BFG 6800gs - @ 410/1150 all pipes unlocked 84.43 betas

Not as uber as it used to be:(

When I first loaded up & videocard was detected I had slow frames (20ish) so I thought I'd have a play around with the settings, as you do.

I'm getting between 30-60 now which is acceptable & playable on my system & it looks fine, for me anyway.

Here's what I've set in game:

1024x768

Textures = medium

AF = 8X

Effects = Medium

Shadows & lights = off

Post effects = medium

I've also tweaked the .xml file a bit.

I noticed that frames jumped up @10-15 when running (not rendering the weapon) so I changed all weapons textures to low & set sky textures to low too.

Overall I'm happy with it, I knew I wouldn't be able to run it at max with my system anyway, so I'm not going to grumble.

I haven't played SP much as I'm not one for controlling squads, it's MP I enjoy & that is good so far.

Gotta do something about 'game over when squad leader dies' though:/

Some pics, good enough & they lost a bit from .bmp to .jpg:

Swagger

Higher frames without weapon, hence hacking textures

Need to mess with colour profiles, add some DV & gamma?

I'm gonna die :(

Boom!

Wow! Really! THAT is what I want. You are not pulling our legs now when you write that you got that graphic card, do you.

Well the graphic engine really seems up to date to me with this result!

Perhaps we are lacking Grin around so that we could get good and firm instructions about settings. Now we have to guess how to set up the rigs, or just give up without fooling around with the settings at all.

It's here! Multiplayer matching with GR1 died off soon after the news about the GR2 PC cancellation. Sure there's still those of us who play once in a while, but nothing like it used to be. But since then me and my team have been anxiously waiting for the next GR. I'd like to thank GRIN for their time and committment in the GR3 project. I feel that the GR community almost owes an apology for the pressure we've put on UBI and GRIN to get this game out before it was finished. GRAW has potential, but it doesn't feel like GR1, it feels like a different game.

I really like the weapons, and how much variety we have in choosing. I hate the jagged edges, I want FSAA. At distances, the blocky edges make it hard to see the bad guys, unless you have a sniper rifle. Binoculars are definately needed because of the lack of zoom on the guns, which I don't mind, it's realistic, but we need binocs. The sounds are good. Framerates aren't so hot for those of us with old 9800 Pro's, I think adding fog in the cities might improve framerates? I dunno.

The friendlies, I had to shoot them twice in the head with a Scar H to kill them?? Not sure why, but 4 times in the torso or twice in the head. The bad guys are different, usually twice in the torso or once in the head. The knock down animations and explosions are awesome. The lack of blood is depressing. I don't see any blood splatter at all, no blood on bodies, nothing. It's like I'm using darts instead of bullets. I think GR3 needs the same level of blood as GR1 (blood impacts and blood on clothing), don't need the blood on the ground. I'm pretty sure that falls under the T rating.

Enemy AI is pretty smart, friendly AI will walk in front of your LOF while your shooting. I don't like how laying prone, you can't shoot under cars and such, maybe that has to do with the bipod or magazine of the rifle? I dunno. The 1st person view is really nice. The control customization is great, although it took me forever to figure out how to get out of the helicopter. One thing that needs fixing on the control customization, when you set a key to a function, if that key is used for something else, it won't delete from the other function, it will allow you to assign the same key to 2 different functions and neither will end up working (which is why I couldn't get out of the chopper).

Overall, it seems like it has a lot of potential, I honestly wish that it was the same as the old GR with a new location (mexico city), new maps, new UI, new weapons/kits, improved engine, and upgraded graphics/effects. Sadly, it hasn't captured my interest like GR1 did, but I haven't played the full version yet, not till May 3rd. ;)

I would like to humbly request that the first expansion pack takes the Ghosts somewhere that has trees and forests and rural areas. :)

Thanks GRIN.

Edited by HighGround

Played some single player and some co-op using BattleLAN. System specs...

Pentium 3.0 HT

Asus P4S800-DE

2GB Ram

Ati All-In-Wonder X800XL Agp 256MB

On-board sound - 2 speakers + powered sub

For me the game looks and plays just fine. I hadn't even noticed the lack of anti-aliasing until I started seeing the posts here about it. They don't bother me or take away from the immersion. The graphics are a quantum leap beyond GR1 which is all I ask for. Gameplay is dead on, to me it feel like I'm playing a Ghost Recon game. That's the highest compliment I can give. Grin nailed the gameplay.

Feedback and issues:

The squad-leader death resulting in a failed mission in co-op is probably my single biggest complaint. I have posted elsewhere defending it as a design choice, and I stand by my arguements, but I also said it wasn't fun and it isn't. This needs to be addressed. Someone suggested it result in a change of mission objectives to the rest of the team playing to reach an evacuation point. Someone else suggested making it possible for another team member to pick up and equip the Cross-Com. Still another option would be a game mode that replaces objectives that only the squad leader could complete with ones that the entire team can do. Personally, I'd be satisfied if a Tango Hunt mode is added later.

The second issue is teammate AI. In general, it is excellent. However, I have had problems where I will move them using the Covering Fire command, tell them where to go and what firing arc to cover, and instead they will move near that point and face a completely different direction. Since there is no way to exercise fine control over their stance and facing, this needs to be tweaked. The AI should be able to go exactly where told and face exactly where told if it is possible, and only if it is impossible try to do the next best thing.

The angle when laying prone on a curb needs to be fixed. It feels as if the player model is laying as stiff as a board, which is what's causing the weird firing angles.

On the weapons loadout screen, it would be helpful if the currently selected weapon model and configuration would light up and display the model, rather than the currently equiped one.

On the tactical map, a reference grid is needed for multiplayer.

Also on the tactical map, the commander should be able to highlight visible enemies so the diamonds show on the teams' HUDs, at least in Co-op play.

Finally on the tactical map, a quick "zoom to soldier x" option needs to be added so it's easier to locate teammates in trouble.

Server settings:

Need an option to turn off the fly-in and briefing, and have a text briefing show up during the level load delay instead. It's neat and immersive in single-player. In co-op, it gets extremely repetitive.

Need an option to toggle the squad-leader death mission failure.

Need an option to set a number of respawns in co-op. I know most people will balk at the realism of that, but the option should be available for server admins who want it.

I agree with Rocky that it should have been a game type or an option to be chosen on a server before a game.

Having the entire team get called back because of the team leader's death is absolute nonsense. And its very unrealistic.

I have a feeling this was a leftover from the console version that ubi tried to push GRIN into using for the pc version. Thats my very strong suspicion.

And Bo is really from a special forces unit? Forget special forces, any kind of military unit worth its salt that is trying to carry out a mission will do whatever they have to do to get the mission accomplished.

Game seems ok for me.

I cannot take a screen shot of the options screen.

When trying to ALT + TAB, out to my desktop, I have no mouse, nor can use any applications.

(I was trying to config my speedpad)

Anyone else not able to Get to Desktop and run another app?

I'm thinking, I'm going to have to run Teamspeak 1st before GRAW.

Leave an application (TS etc) open on your desktop and Alt-Tab will work fine.

Well, you can force high res textures. I have done so on my 256mb card and I'm not noticing much of a performance drop at all.

Just open the file "renderer_settings.xml" in the \Data\settings\ directory, and for instance change the line

<variable name="texture_quality_characters" value="medium"/>

to <variable name="texture_quality_characters" value="high"/>

Changing all textures to high might not work out, but I'm using high on characters and buildings and it works just fine.

BIG THNAKS FOR THAT!!!

I've been GR player for years ...but with the new GRAW demo out

I had to register to say.

I've played it on 2 systems and graphically, you will only get the best out of it

with a 512Mb Graphics card.

There are control quirks which are affected by screen resolution... when I set my LCD screen to 1:1 ratio [ no screen filling] mouse control was better.

The lean feature could be better. so too the movment run/walk etc.

It has good possibilities after release with everyone's feedback that a patch will solve contols and add weapons, I hope 3rd partys add-ons like the good old SENSORS and OICW (Objective Individual Combat Weapon) will come back.

During play you still get a feeling of GR1 but it's off target with controls & compatability [ i get EAX problems like others...back yo default].

I think alot of players will be upgrading in the following months. It still deserves 3-4 thumbs out of 5 for initial impact

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Does anyone know if it will be open to 3rd party add ons in the future ??

As I see it the 512 mb on the Gfx card is more important than if the cards is the latest model. Is that correct? A GeForce 6600 SILENT 512Mb costs about 150 $, perhaps that is a price worthy alternative to use, while waiting for next breed of Gfx cards. Any suggestions on this?

I've not read all 19 pages of posts, so if some of my issues have already been raised, then I apologise.

Firstly though, love the demo! This is the first thing I've played for years that has actually challenged me.

Anyway, 3 points I'd like to make:

1. Looking at some of the earlier peoples PCs, they were complaining about performance, yet they had better PCs then me, running on lower settings!?!? I had everything on full, at 1280x1024, and apart from the first 5 seconds, the game runs brilliantly. I'll add my specs to the bottom.

2. Probably been mentioned before, but sometimes, I can't hear my own gun. Most of the time it sounds very distant too, like the gun firing noise is coming from where my bullets are hitting. I'm using 5.1 with a SB Audigy LS.

3. The loading screen (where the little ghost recon logo spins in the bottom right) could do with a progress bar. It's not important, but it would be nice.

Other than that, I can't wait for the game. Unfortunatly it comes out right in the middle of my exams :( .

Thanks GRIN!

CPU: A64 3700+ S939

RAM: 1024MB DDR400

GFX: 256MB 7800GT (x1, no SLi for me)

Sound: SB Audigy LS

I think that's all you need.

Edited by Silent Shark