Demo/ Feed back and update.

At first I didnt like the idea of a no running while firing option, but after trying it I think its going to add a steep learning curve which is a good thing.  Im really liking it so far.

Indeed - we don't need another CS - full running sniper headshots! :wall:

Run or aim & shoot... it should be an OR not a WITH.

Edited by tangovictor

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's important to remember that popularity is what makes game league-worthy; increasing the movement speed (at which one can accurately fire) brings a game closer to being a mainstream shooter, not necessarily a popular one. As an RvS player, you should be keenly aware of what mainstreaming can do to a tactical shooter, i.e. the dreaded "Lockdown" effect. Mainstream? Yes. Popular? Good? League-worthy? Eh . . .

Keeping the movement speed down causes a lot of very specific things to happen, in-game, with regards to firing, positioning, moving, etc. and even tweaks to it can't be taken lightly; it's a question of whether the movement speed makes players play the way GRIN intended, and that won't become evident until after the general release. Personally, the speed 'feels' fine to me, slower than RvS, to be sure, but that's the idea; GR never played in the same manner as RvS, nor should it. Despite them both being considered the same genre, they were entirely different in how they played.

GR1 managed to do pretty well by bucking conventional standards; I'd rather GRAW maintain this approach to its design rather than 'evolve' in the manner that the R6 series did.

I posted this earlier...and I think it got washed over.

I too think the FRAGS need redone....but were we not supposed to be able to ROLL a frag as well as throw overhand?

and

I also thought there was going to be a quick peek type function for peeking OVER top of cover?

HACK

I cannot play the game. Heres my PC specs:

GeForce FX5500 256MB AGP8

Kingston PC-3200 DDR400 1GB

AMD Athlon 64 bit 3200+

I cant play the game at all. No problem loading the starting page. But when click play, i cant see nothing, all in pitch black, i can hear voice and the small screen on my upper right screen. It also lag very bad even when i run at lowest setting and resolution set to 800x600.

I bet this is only due to vid card. Guys need some help, is it okay if i buy ATI Radeon X1600Pro 256MB DDR2 AGP8 for this game. Can this card take it?

---danish

That is becausee you vid card is not supported

There is a "quick-lean-peek" function as well, but you need to walk forward and at the same time press Q or E for the function to appear.

or just tap lean twice. but i swear there was a setting in there that would let you hold the button to lean. i'll have to look again when i get home. it was in the control settings.

I have a pretty good system to play the game. The game is smooth until I try to aim. Like it takes forever. Dunno why. I am so surprised the game runs great on the system I have. I like it.

My system Specs

Amd Althon XP3200+ (2.2Ghz)

2Gigs or DDram (PC3200's at 400mhz Dual Channel)

X700Pro (256MB)

160Gb HD 7200Rpm (IDE)

80GB HD 7200Rpm (IDE)

TFT Samsung FlatScreen Monitor (SyncMaster 712n) 17inch

500Watt PS

I played the demo yesterday until 4 am lol,and I can say it is a good one.I think this game is a great mix between BF2 and GR.With good guns(better than BF2)and also pure infiltration...really great tactical game you will have to play as a team to do the mission.

I think the 5th may ,I will put all those games aside to play GRAW! :)

I played the demo yesterday until 4 am lol,and I can say it is a good one.I think this game is a great mix between BF2 and GR.With good guns(better than BF2)and also pure infiltration...really great tactical game you will have to play as a team to do the mission.

do you play Coop over the net? im in hard with finding someone to play :angry:

I also thought there was going to be a quick peek type function for peeking OVER top of cover?

HACK

there is. When standing, hit V and you will stand on your toes.

Just tried that out....very cool....I guess much like others...I felt there was a quick peek for looking over cover when kneeling.....but the quick stand/drop was working fine....so I wasnt to concerned....but I like the up on toes/standing up straighter function.

Now if I can just figure out how to roll a grenage...LOL

Where is my FULL VERSION!!! :g_guns:

HACK

I think I managed to roll a nade once and I think it has something to do with the "C" key, but it only worked once. :strange:

Other small details I noticed:

1) Look at your character thru a Ghosts eyes and press the z key and you can actually see how our character actually moves his thumb and changes the position of the firemode switch.

2) Magazines when they are not empty and changed actually still show a bullet, both when they are in the hand our character AND after they dropped on the ground. When magazines are completely empty they don´t show any bullets either. Crazy details. :wacko:

Edited by agentkay

AMD Athlon 64 bit 3200+

I cant play the game at all. No problem loading the starting page. But when click play, i cant see nothing, all in pitch black, i can hear voice and the small screen on my upper right screen. It also lag very bad even when i run at lowest setting and resolution set to 800x600.

I bet this is only due to vid card. Guys need some help, is it okay if i buy ATI Radeon X1600Pro 256MB DDR2 AGP8 for this game. Can this card take it?

---danish

Yes - you should get slightly better performance than my X800pro 256 AGP. And mine runs fairly well with forced AA on. I do get a long initial load time at the 'black screen' after the intro screens however (1 min or so) before the game main menu comes up. maybe this is demo specific?

AMD Athlon 64 bit 3200+

---danish

Yes - you should get slightly better performance than my X800pro 256 AGP. And mine runs fairly well with forced AA on. I do get a long initial load time at the 'black screen' after the intro screens however (1 min or so) before the game main menu comes up. maybe this is demo specific?

The video card you have does not meet the minimum requirements. It has to do with the shaders of that card. If you buy the card you mentioned, you would have no issues at all with the card side of things. Good luck and hope you get it worked out.

AMD Athlon 64bit 3200 2.15MHz

OCZ 2GB PC4000 Dual

ATI Sapphire Radeon X800PRO 256MB

1024x768 @ 85hz

Window XP SP2

Running the game on highest settings possible bar texture quality where it doesnt give me an option of high!? because my gfx card isnt 512MB? It runs very very well anyway... I appreciate this is only a demo and that some of the things i mentioned might be in the full game before you go flaming me!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How on earth can you run the game on highest settings when my spec is higher than yours and I can only run it at low to med to get around 40fps

XP3700 @ 2.8GIG 218mhz FSB

OCZ 2GB Gold 3200 @ 436mhz

Radion X800XT

Win xp PRO sp1

800 x 600@85hz for game stable.

As already metioned the prone position is rubbish, especially with the sniper rifle, you so high you cant kill anything, lie against a curb and then your at a 45 degree angle (the skys the limit). also very annoying is when your AI Buddys runs out of ammo, he shouts out "reloading" every 10 seconds and wont shut up, i killed him in the end.

EDIT: Game Over!!

thats desertion Capt Mitchell
Huh?? what did i do wrong? and then the game wont quit/end, it just stays at the game over screen. Edited by SRS_Undertaker

How on earth can you run the game on highest settings when my spec is higher than yours and I can only run it at low to med to get around 40fps

i think some people have different ideas of what runs well and what high settings are. i don't think some people actually check the fps. they see that the system runs the graphics, but don't pay attention to how slow or fast the vid lag is. or maybe they just don't care.

i think some people have different ideas of what runs well and what high settings are. i don't think some people actually check the fps. they see that the system runs the graphics, but don't pay attention to how slow or fast the vid lag is. or maybe they just don't care.

Yea maybe. I wont play it less than 45fps depending on mouse movment and speed. 60fps is a nice place to be to alow for the odd drop.

Yea maybe.  I wont play it less than 45fps depending on mouse movment and speed.  60fps is a nice place to be to alow for the odd drop.

that's basically my standard. I go on the eye thing. Since the human eye can only see as fast as 60 fps, I know I'll notice anything below that so I try to get my stuff to stay around 60.

right now at 1024 i'm getting more about 35 area. but i have textures and stuff turned up as high as it would let me.

I know this was mentioned before somewhere, but another nice detail is being able to fire your chamber round when reloading from a mag that wasn't completely empty.

BUG: I think, (please comfirm) that the MP5SD allows you to fire unlimited rounds while reloading...anyone else see this?

Also, when you reload you physically toss your old clip, and physics are applied ;)

I uninstalled BF2 while I was DL'ing the demo, had not played it in over a month anyway.

Does anyone else have the issue with it detecting your sound harrdware and software as "GENERIC" in the demo?? I have a SB AUDIGY II ZS.

I uninstalled BF2 while I was DL'ing the demo, had not played it in over a month anyway.

Does anyone else have the issue with it detecting your sound harrdware and software as "GENERIC" in the demo?? I have a SB AUDIGY II ZS.

i don't have that exact issue, but I am getting scratchy sound with EAX turned on. I'm going to try resintalling my drivers and see if that helps. I'm also running the aud 2 zs.

Ok, this is my feedback on the demo:

9/10

What a great demo! I am having a blast with this : )

Controls: The controls "feels" right, hard to explain, but the mechanics in this game are just fine. The sliding moves continue to grow on me 8/10

AI: Oh man, ive seen my AI teammates do some of the most impressive moves ive ever seen in a game, the AI takes better cover at times than some real-life people do :rofl: . The friendly AI has come a looong way since GR1 AI. The enemy AI is a bit more tricky to comment on, I have been flanked so thats a start and they suppres pretty good, I would have to do some more testings before placing a final verdics on the enymy AI tho'. But for the friendly AI its 10/10

Sound: Desmond, what a great job you have done! When I first shot the scar-h, my jaw dropped : ) Cool how the sound is cast between the building-blocks. The ambient sound is good as well, I hope that the full version will have it more diverse tho' (depending on the level) Most important; the sounds are convincing and potent! 9/10

Animation: Everything looks as it should, the way soldiers sometimes take the bullet looks fantastic (anyone shot a soldier while he's in full speed?) The reload animations amaze me, I cant think of a game that has done it as good as you guys! Congrats! 9/10

Details: The dropped mags, the chopper insertion, the tactical reload, the way the team covers, its all sweet. 9/10

Graphics: Its good, nothing over-the-top, but thats ok with me. 8/10

Realism: Without getting too much into details, I think you did a very good job on balancing, and thats a hard thing to do. 9/10

Here are the letdowns:

-It has been mentioned a 100 times before; the aiming while prone...it just doesnt feel right when you cant aim lower than this.

-The music got turned off pretty quickly.

-This game requires a very fast pc.

-The dead bodies dissapear, thats a total immersion killer for me : /

-The bullet holes dissapear, thats a shame because bullet holes gives that "its a war-zone" feeling to a scene : /

-The emty bullet shells dissapear instantly, atleast leave them for a 30 sec period.

Great demo, cant wait for the full game to arrive :grin1:

V.P.

I'm seriusly getting ###### with my teamate AI. This could be a dealbreaker if not fixed in the full version. I swear the next time one of them pushes me out of cover or walks out into a hail of bullets then acts surprised that he got shot, I'm shooting them myslef.

*SIGH*

I wanted to write a very long and detailed post about my views of the demo. From the graphics to the gameplay to the feel of the game. But my mind is just a jumble right now. But I think I will save my full detailed and longggggggggg review until the final game comes out. And I will buy it.....for ol times sake.

The short of it:

Nice game but its not GR.

Doesn't have "IT". If you need to know what "IT" is...you will never know.

Despite the bugs the graphics are "nice" but the engine chosen is just too old. Its gonna end up biting GRIN in the butt.

Gameplay seems fun and technically its non-linear but the commander's hand holding of the team makes it might as well be linear as a railroad track.

Bottomline: Fun....but it doesn't have the legs to last. Its a good game and a solid effort in and of itself but its not GR nor is it a true sequel. As long as you keep that in mind you will enjoy the purchase.