what are the chances a series 5 card would work?

I want to install 1GB of ram ( and throw away my old ones ). Should it be 2 sticks of 512 mb each or 1 stick of 1 gb ? My motherboard has an Intel 865 chipset and I have lost the manual. :(

p.s - Spike answered a broader sense question from me but now I have narrowed it down to these 2 options.

I'm probably not the most knowledge person about Intel chipsets around these parts, but it breaks down something like this...

There are three versions of the Intel 865 chipset, all of them support Dual channel DDR, which means you'll want a matched pair of 2 x 512Mb DDR modules. The sticky issue is that the different version of the chipsets support different FBS speeds and thus different RAM speeds.

If you've got the 865P chipset then you can only run DDR 333 (PC2700). If you have the 865G or the 865PE chipset you can run up to DDR 400 (PC3200).

The free CPUz program should be able to tell you the exact chipset flavour.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Remember the maximum speed (333 or 400) that your chipset can support and get a matched pair of RAM modules, meaning you buy a paired set of 2x512Mb sticks which are tested to run in Dual Channel mode. All of the major RAM brands sell matched pairs of RAM for dual channel DDR systems.

Don't stress too much about things like RAM timings (that's the C2-3-3-8 T1 stuff often written next to it). Generally lower numbers are better but they make little real world difference compared to the extreamly high cost of the lower/faster timed RAM unless you're into overclocking and I'm assuming you're not. Just avoid the no-name and value RAM and you should be fine.

Good luck with the upgrade :thumbsup:

Edited by Spike

Thanks Spike, you have been most helpful. :)

One more question, I think mine is a 865p which supports DDR333 and not DDR400. If that is the case, if I buy DDR400, can I still run it ? I know I would only get the performance of 333, but would it work ? ( It is difficult to get 333s these days ).

Thanks Spike, you have been most helpful.  :)

One more question, I think mine is a 865p which supports DDR333 and not DDR400. If that is the case, if I buy DDR400, can I still run it ?  I know I would only get the performance of 333, but would it work ? ( It is difficult to get 333s these days ).

Yeah, DDR400 RAM will work fine, but I'll only run at DDR 33 speeds unless you get creative. I'm running DDR 500 RAM in my system which only supports up to DDR 400, although its running at about DDR 466 speed as I've overclocked things a tad. :o=

go to www.crucial.com or www.kingston.com

Look up the models supported by your board and purchase them. That way you have no question on rather it will work or not

They have memory pickers showing the memory for each manufacturer and model of the mainboard on each site.

what are the chances that a series 5 card would work for GRAW?

if it has shaders 2.0 it should run right?

what are the differences in a series 5 card and a series 6?

a mate got a 5700 card and he runs Oblivion and bf2 on that with no problem.

Maybe you can run Graw. If so, with low settings and fps around 50 i guess.

what are the chances that a series 5 card would work for GRAW?

if it has shaders 2.0 it should run right?

what are the differences in a series 5 card and a series 6?

a mate got a 5700 card and he runs Oblivion and bf2 on that with no problem.

Maybe you can run Graw. If so, with low settings and fps around 50 i guess.

yea i can run bf2 with medium settings with no problems, and it said my vid card wasnt supported also

so im hoping.

Great. Installed the demo and after trying with different forceware versions all I get is no textures. In the gear-selection screen it begins. All I have is black weapons and after the map loaded, same thing, all black, except for the sky, the crosshair und some glasses from cars. Nice, so my GeForce FX 5950 Ultra screwed. Hopefully my new system i'm getting next week doesn't show me anything like that.