Voice through headset like 360?

so the voice comms are gonna be supported by the game?

No. There will be no voice communications built into the game. You will have to use a 3rd party program like Teamspeak or Ventrillo if you want voice comms.

someone just mentioned that there wont be teamspeak support though

someone just mentioned that there wont be teamspeak support though

He's wrong. There is no built in VOIP because of the excellent third party programs out there.

Ok awesome, I havent used team speak in a long time. Do most gamers use speakers or gaming headphones?

Headphones seem to be the preferred choice, mostly due to preventing feedback and open mic noise. A good noise cancelling microphone can help if someone wants to go with speakers, and if you have two sound cards, you can get away with both; speakers for game sound, and a headset for voice, but that's a little more advanced a config.

Just wondering if the game will have an option to enable voice through headset and sound FX from speakers or is this something supported by TeamSpeak or what?

I know this is a little late, but here goes anyways. This is from The translated version of my experiences with the producer tour in The Netherlands:

Original link: http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=32651

There will be no ingame voice communication, a decision which I support. There are enough good external tools available, something which GRIN has correctly taken into consideration.

Source: http://www.graw.nl/community/features/1794/

The entire report is actually a good read on a lot more than just VOIP support issues.

Original link: http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=32651

silent_op

Headphones seem to be the preferred choice, mostly due to preventing feedback and open mic noise.  A good noise cancelling microphone can help if someone wants to go with speakers, and if you have two sound cards, you can get away with both; speakers for game sound, and a headset for voice, but that's a little more advanced a config.

what would be a good headset? DOes inboard sound work for voice and soundcard for speakers?

Headphones seem to be the preferred choice, mostly due to preventing feedback and open mic noise.  A good noise cancelling microphone can help if someone wants to go with speakers, and if you have two sound cards, you can get away with both; speakers for game sound, and a headset for voice, but that's a little more advanced a config.

what would be a good headset? DOes inboard sound work for voice and soundcard for speakers?

You generally do not use onboard sound and a sound card at the same time. That only causes problems in general, though it can be done if you're willing to deal with the idiosyncracies that crop up from it.

Most decent sound cards can send audio to speakers AND a headset if you like, but again, generally you use one or the other.

As for good headsets, there are tons out there. Sennheiser makes some nice ones, but they tend to be expensive for what you get (I have a PC-165 myself), Plantronics fairly recently started making the A.100 (Audio 100) series and they've been reviewed significantly better than their earlier iterations (The A.90 didn't rate so well, but I had a pair and they were a decent set if you ask me). If you have a good sound card, there's always 5.1 headsets as well, the Medusa 5.1 set (**IMPORTANT: NOT THE USB VERSION**) has pretty consistantly gotten good reviews but it's hard to find a store that isn't out of stock, even the company that makes them was out of stock last I checked.

Tom's Hardware Headset Reviews

Out of the bunch they reviewed there, the PC-150's were the lowest rated. They're a decent set, but I'm not sure they're really worth $50 US. I have the same impression of the PC-165 set I've got too, though. Nice set, but I don't think they're worth the $100 they cost me. Maybe I'm just cheap. <_<

Tom's Hardware Headset Reviews

Out of the bunch they reviewed there, the PC-150's were the lowest rated. They're a decent set, but I'm not sure they're really worth $50 US. I have the same impression of the PC-165 set I've got too, though. Nice set, but I don't think they're worth the $100 they cost me. Maybe I'm just cheap. <_<

$35 not 50

I just got a set of Turtle Beack HPA headset. They are 5.1 and have amplifiers in-line for each front, rear, center, and subwoofer plus a master volume. The have a detachable mic and come with a splitter that comes off the sound card and has tails for both the headset and your speakers. They sound pretty good but are fairly heavy. I like them alot. I think I paid 69 bucks for them.....check em out.

I just got a set of Turtle Beack HPA headset.  They are 5.1 and have amplifiers in-line for each front, rear, center, and subwoofer plus a master volume.  The have a detachable mic and come with a splitter that comes off the sound card and has tails for both the headset and your speakers.  They sound pretty good but are fairly heavy.  I like them alot.  I think I paid 69 bucks for them.....check em out.

Confused here. You can use the above headphones for communicating (speak/hear) and use the speakers for sound? I like talking to my team mates but hate not having the sound thur the speakers (5.1) I don't/didn't know it could be done. If the headset works like that,I'm getting them. Anyone also have a LINK to a step by step on how to make my curreny PC do the game sound thru speaks and voice thur headset? (SB AUD 6.1 card)

I use a usb headset with built in soundcard for voip so i can have coms on headset and game sound on my speakers. Used to be a lot of trouble with it earlyer(runing 2 soundcards), but with the new versions of ventrilo thers no problem. Works good on skype too. Havnt used Ts in awhile so i dont know if they have sorted out the problems with running 2 soundcards there. Have used it with Ts and it used to workfine most of thetime but sometimes I had to rebot to make it work right.

My headset is a bit worn out so Im thinking about getting a 10$ card to only use for coms now.

I just got a set of Turtle Beack HPA headset.  They are 5.1 and have amplifiers in-line for each front, rear, center, and subwoofer plus a master volume.  The have a detachable mic and come with a splitter that comes off the sound card and has tails for both the headset and your speakers.  They sound pretty good but are fairly heavy.  I like them alot.  I think I paid 69 bucks for them.....check em out.

Confused here. You can use the above headphones for communicating (speak/hear) and use the speakers for sound? I like talking to my team mates but hate not having the sound thur the speakers (5.1) I don't/didn't know it could be done. If the headset works like that,I'm getting them. Anyone also have a LINK to a step by step on how to make my curreny PC do the game sound thru speaks and voice thur headset? (SB AUD 6.1 card)

I do not think there are any devices to make this possible. However, what is possible is to use two soundcards. For example, if you have onboard sound and an expansion soundcard, you can specify TS to use the onboard soundcard where you would plug in your headset, and for the game to use the expansion PCI soundcard to which you plug in your speakers. If you google, you should find step by step instruction how to do this - I recal an article a couple of months ago describing this. The side effect, I am not sure how much feedback you will get from speakers to your MIC (something I find extremely annoying by the way).

I do not think there are any devices to make this possible. However, what is possible is to use two soundcards. For example, if you have onboard sound and an expansion soundcard, you can specify TS to use the onboard soundcard where you would plug in your headset, and for the game to use the expansion PCI soundcard to which you plug in your speakers. If you google, you should find step by step instruction how to do this - I recal an article a couple of months ago describing this. The side effect, I am not sure how much feedback you will get from speakers to your MIC (something I find extremely annoying by the way).

Windows XP allows you to do this if you have USB headphones. I run one soundcard that powers my external speakers. In-game sounds go to the external speakers. Voice comm (Teamspeak and Ventrilo) goes to the USB headset. It's in the Sound properties of the Control Panel.

EDIT: Actually, some of the greatest realism moments are when you hear fire coming over your buddies voice comm instead of through your speakers. It's very powerful when you hear OPFOR fire and your buddies yelling and getting hit and you hear that in your headset...

The sennheiser's sound great for the size of the headset, however i've gone through 3 pairs in 18 months. Theres like one nano-filament of copper wire inside the cable to the pc, so it breaks inside dead easy, and you can't twist the wires together to fix it coz its coating in some paint. The cynical among you may think this is delibrate, to sell more headsets.... i may agree : ;)

Hence i've got some plantronics this time around, they don't sound as good imho, not bad, slightly more treble, hopefully they'll last longer.