MP Answers

Stalker,Apr 21 2006, 05:19 PM]

Roco, my GR server used an on-board graphics adapter. That ain't special. It doesn't matter if the video card costs $600, $60 or .60 cents if it won't fit in the standard 1U rack-mounted server chassis used by most dedicated server providers (if they would even agree to install it). Also, having to buy a retail copy of the game for each server is just plain ridiculous.

Hence, they will release free dedicated server files which will not require a video card.

I realize everyone is anxious about the release, but c'mon now this issue has been beat to death. Would you rather they held the release until the dedicated server files were ready?

Let's put this issue to rest, please.

The issue has not been beat to death. It's barely mentioned in comparison to some subordinate issues, none of which matter without dedicated server files. What you claim has no verification that I'm aware of. I've asked the question directly in a number of locations and formats, as well as monitoring threads where others have asked the same question, and no one in a position to know has given anything resembling a direct answer. The issue will be put to rest when there is a definitive answer. And yes, I'd rather they held the release until the dedicated server files are ready.

Dawn, my clan is comprised of mostly 30+ folks. We have a short month every so often but historically have been able to easily fund our needs through donations.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stalker,Apr 21 2006, 07:36 PM]

Stalker,Apr 21 2006, 05:19 PM]

Roco, my GR server used an on-board graphics adapter. That ain't special. It doesn't matter if the video card costs $600, $60 or .60 cents if it won't fit in the standard 1U rack-mounted server chassis used by most dedicated server providers (if they would even agree to install it). Also, having to buy a retail copy of the game for each server is just plain ridiculous.

Hence, they will release free dedicated server files which will not require a video card.

I realize everyone is anxious about the release, but c'mon now this issue has been beat to death. Would you rather they held the release until the dedicated server files were ready?

Let's put this issue to rest, please.

The issue has not been beat to death. It's barely mentioned in comparison to some subordinate issues, none of which matter without dedicated server files. What you claim has no verification that I'm aware of. I've asked the question directly in a number of locations and formats, as well as monitoring threads where others have asked the same question, and no one in a position to know has given anything resembling a direct answer. The issue will be put to rest when there is a definitive answer. And yes, I'd rather they held the release until the dedicated server files are ready.

Dawn, my clan is comprised of mostly 30+ folks. We have a short month every so often but historically have been able to easily fund our needs through donations.

Can you explain why you'd rather have the release held?

My clan is also mosty 30+'ers, and I was even a co-owner of a game server hosting company (SquadServers) back in the day. Actually, I still have 3 1U Dual Xeon racks I'd love to get GRAW running on ASAP.

The fact that GR1 would not run sans video card (I believe) was an engine limitation. From what I've gathered by some of the dev team responses, this is not the case with GRAW (correct?). I fully expect the dedicated server files within a few weeks of the release.

Can you explain why you'd rather have the release held? 

My clan is also mosty 30+'ers, and I was even a co-owner of a game server hosting company (SquadServers) back in the day.  Actually, I still have 3 1U Dual Xeon racks I'd love to get GRAW running on ASAP.

The fact that GR1 would not run sans video card (I believe) was an engine limitation.  From what I've gathered by some of the dev team responses, this is not the case with GRAW (correct?).  I fully expect the dedicated server files within a few weeks of the release.

I believe I've also read somewhere in my forum searches that the ded. server files were in the future. It wouldn't make sense for them to alienate a lot of hosting companies.

GR1 ran fine without a video card. The point that I've been trying to make is that any discussion about dedicated server files being released at some as-yet-determined future date is nothing but pure speculation. Several of you are stating it as though it were a fact. It isn't confirmed by any official source. Why you fully expect the files to be released is a mystery to me. If they aren't, your 1U servers are nothing but expensive paperweights as far as GRAW is concerned. You won't be able to run it. Why would I rather wait? I've waited this long. I can wait a little longer to have a game that I know will be viable for my clan and viable for the ladders I admin. I freely admit that my perspective is that of a clan leader and ladder admin. MP is the only thing that matters to the many gamers I serve and the confirmed info that is available as of this posting is pretty grim in that regard.

Well if you haven't understood it by now: GRIN will keep adding to the MP even AFTER the game is released. Much based on our dediction to the game.

The argument "ASAP, FIX IT !" and  so on is getting very boring. This is the best game to hit you in years if you miss out - you'll just be sorry.

There is a big difference in Dedicated server and Dedicated server files. The game ships with a dedicated server (for better preformance) from the menu but not with dedicated server files (for your rack servers and so on.) However such files need to be OUTSIDE OF THE RETAIL GAME - If I have to repeat that I will DIE.

As WK said we've been here for over a year - we've heard the please, please and If not ! I'll not ! Getting very very old.

If you feel you need to say you want somehting in the game say so - but stay clear of the threats - it wont bite at all just make us sick.

Now settle down stop thinking we're idiots and enjoy the ride.

Bo's answer about dedicated server files above can be found here.

As I stated previously, any posts related to dedicated server files can be removed at moderators discretion. As seen it has been answered by Bo himself already. Time to stop asking those questions lest this thread get locked even!

What was your original question please?

"Will dedicated server files be their in the game upon release?" This?

The answer is no, it will not be shipped in the game. It will be released. If you are going to ask when? uknown, No company gives dates unless their 100% sure.

I hope thats a straight answer. =)

Edited by XenoSoft

Stalker,Apr 21 2006, 10:54 AM]

Simple questions:

I have several leased dedicated servers. They are in 1U chassis and cannot accommodate a video card of any kind.

1. Will I be able to host GRAW on or about the release date at no additional expense?

2. If not, will I ever be able to, and approximately when?

Sounds cool, but I always found it quite hard to find old farts like myself(30+) who would be dedicated enough and long enough to put up money for that.

Dawn

you must be looking in the wrong spots...most of my clan is over 30 (with a few close & some youngsters sprinkled in) and we have no probs coming up with the $$ for multiple servers....

Stalker,Apr 21 2006, 10:03 PM]

I've given up on a straight answer.

Once again I'm going to say this. The devs do not HAVE to answer anyone's questions. It is up to them to decide if they will or even if they CAN. Them not answering should be taken as a clue that they can't answer.

Harassing won't get you an answer, demanding won't get you an answer, sulking won't get you an answer and even being polite may not get you an answer.

All anyone can do is ask a question and see what kind of response they get. The devs don't owe us any type of communication, we are lucky in that they do post here and answer a lot of questions.

My teammates donate so much a month, 5, 10, 20 bucks, whatever they have.  Everyone enjoys having our own server so much that they keep donating. Sometimes we get donations from non team members that just enjoy playing on our server.

We do the same, going on 6 years now. I have my credit card paying for the server and the team reimburses me via snail mail (money order, cashiers check and in the case of one of ours in Oz, cash).

I have a MP Dom question (and forgive me if it has been asked before but I havent seen it ) its regarding teams and weapons .

Will MP be ghost vs ghost (I think I saw it was US Army vs Mexican Army) and will that affect what team get what weapons? ie. US team get Fn Scar's etc Mexican team get ....w/e M16/G36/AK ?

I have a MP Dom question (and forgive me if it has been asked before but I havent seen it ) its regarding teams and weapons .

Will MP be ghost vs ghost (I think I saw it was US Army vs Mexican Army) and will that affect what team get what weapons? ie. US team get Fn Scar's etc Mexican team get ....w/e M16/G36/AK ?

That would be great but i think that weapons are same for both sides, 8 primary and 4 secondary.

I wish it was Ghost v Ghost. It eliminates the need for having to swap sides to keep the matches fair.

“Tactical points are earned by killing enemies (amount of points dealt depend on if you shot the enemy in your or his zone) and neutralizing/taking over zones. You lose tactical points for shooting teammates.â€

Bo, after spending 50 dollars to buy the game, I don’t want to have to ‘buy’ tactical points in a game to use weapons that, frankly, I’ve already paid my money for the right to use.

“Tactical points can be exchanged for heavier weapons. Standard settings are set so that you can't afford anything but the M8 and a side arm to begin with, and have to secure a set of supply lines to you earn the right to, say, a Barrett or a SAW.â€

When you are in the Military, they don’t look at “tactical points†to see what type of weapon you can “afford.†They look at the mission and for SF (like Ghosts) usually allow them a weapon choice from a healthy arsenal. As you say Bo, the word “Recon†is in the name, well, as one like you, who has military experience, most Marine Force Recon missions will allow their operatives the choice of selection. Your current mode restricts the operatives from the get go... the opposite of why I wanted to play MP...

“Tactical points are earned by killing enemies (amount of points dealt depend on if you shot the enemy in your or his zone) and neutralizing/taking over zones. You lose tactical points for shooting teammates.â€

Bo, after spending 50 dollars to buy the game, I don’t want to have to ‘buy’ tactical points in a game to use weapons that, frankly, I’ve already paid my money for the right to use. 

“Tactical points can be exchanged for heavier weapons. Standard settings are set so that you can't afford anything but the M8 and a side arm to begin with, and have to secure a set of supply lines to you earn the right to, say, a Barrett or a SAW.â€

When you are in the Military, they don’t look at “tactical points†to see what type of weapon you can “afford.† They look at the mission and for SF (like Ghosts) usually  allow them a weapon choice from a healthy arsenal.  As you say Bo, the word “Recon†is in the name, well, as one like you, who has military experience, most Marine Force Recon missions will allow their operatives the choice of selection.  Your current mode restricts the operatives from the get go... the opposite of why I wanted to play MP...

Its just one mode Semper relax. Variety is the spice of life. Only problem about it is that it is the only MP mode at launch.

wow thats pretty rude. Its a game type. This is meant to reward those who perform well. And add another variable to the game so your game is dynamic and new everytime and not the same old "pick your gun - shoot - die - do it all over again"

This reminds me of people in AA who beg for a weapon you currently hold .....I'll tell you what I tell them ...earn it.

Edited by Xeno

wow thats pretty rude. Its a game type. This is meant to reward those who perform well. And add another variable to the game so your game is dynamic and new everytime and not the same old "pick your gun - shoot - die - do it all over again"

Thats a good point... apart from rewarding performance, it might actually add a lot of variety/replayability to the gameplay, because you are not always using the same weapon.

Thats a good point... apart from rewarding performance, it might actually add a lot of variety/replayability to the gameplay, because you are not always using the same weapon.

Grin have said all along that replayability is one of the key features.

I agree, it also gives the lower spec'd weapons more play value. If you learn to use those ones well you'll be dangerous in the early skirmishes.

For instance, the M-16 in GR1 was pointless in MP. Other kits were simply better, so it may as well not have even been included (in MP at least).

If you don't like the idea it sounds like you can simply set a really high starting number of tactical points and never need worry about it.

So will there be tactical points or was that just an idea? It sounds pretty interesting if thats the case, as it will require people to use skill and teamwork to get weapons that they need/want to acquire.

As well I have a question regarding customization. Will we be able to customize our character and weapons much the same as in the 360 version? I really hope so as that helped create a great deal of immersion. :D

So will there be tactical points or was that just an idea? It sounds pretty interesting if thats the case, as it will require people to use skill and teamwork to get weapons that they need/want to acquire.

As well I have a question regarding customization. Will we be able to customize our character and weapons much the same as in the 360 version? I really hope so as that helped create a great deal of immersion. :D

Yes, there are tactical points in domination mode. Reading even the first page of the thread before replying can really help, you should try it sometime :P

Customize weapons yes, character no. It's first person view only and I doubt you'll run across too many mirrors on the streets of Mexico City so I can't see why you'd bother with it anyway.

Hhaaha thanks, I'm new around these parts. Anyways thats good to hear that it will reward skill, wish we could change characters though, that would be fun like in the 360 version even if you cant see 3rd person.

*Forgot to add: When you get points do they go to a global score or do they only effect the map you are on currently and those weapons?

Edited by emp7re