MP Answers

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

grawpcmp01102412ip.jpg

In this picture, lets say by some freak miracle the blue team neutralizes H zone and B zone, and never touches C. Does C automatically go into the neutral state because all supply lines to that zone for the red team were cut off? Or does it stay in red's possession but provide no benefit to their team?

Also, can you spawn in any zone you own or only at your homebase,.. respawn after you die I mean.

Edited by GHOST_Trout

desmond just made me go from ready to fall asleep to ready to run all the way to sweden to get the game.

Question time

1. are the values for the points and such adjustable, like making a weapon cost less or something of the sort? Will we be going insane to try to get points for unlocks it will it be fairly easy?

2. are the maps scaleable like in BF2 so if you dont have to spend a long time running half way across mexico to get some troubly maker trying to get a control point? Or is that one of the reasons you cant capture a zone without it being connected to an existing zone(keep the action on one front?)

Wait... you can't shoot your gun while your moving?! Not that I run and gun but thats pretty harsh if we can't O_O

edit: well in MP... I know you can in SP --- unless you were being sarcastic kekeke

This has been discussed and clarified to its fullest in this thread.

Thats still only MP right, because in the trailers I see you can do it in SP

The control schemes for SP and MP are exactly the same, and how they work and why we decided to have it that way is in the thread I linked. What you think you see in the trailer is a creation of your imagination, trust me. ;)

It is possible to start a co-op campaign and fill only one slot (you) and leave out the three optional AI teammates: That means you play the game alone (even the missions that in single player campaign are non-lone wolf mission) all by yourself - without save points.

THAT is hardcore.

Sweet. I use to play me vs 30/50 AI all the time in the R6 titles and GR1. I'm a sucker for punishment.

Also in the the IGN movies, in the "approaching the president's limo" movie, there is also a quick move to the left while the guy is shooting during the last few secs of the clip. In "moving and attacking", between 1:05 and 1:17 he is also moving while gunning. I don't really see what your saying :\

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/736/736230/vids_1.html

And in the very first PC trailer during the part where they are showing the full cross-com view there are ghosts moving while shooting

Edited by quiznoes

Ok desmond I see what you mean now lol. You mean you can't "sprint" while shooting your gun.

edit: run n' gun usually means move while you shoot in most games, not shoot while you sprint so I couldn't really get what you were trying to say

Edited by quiznoes

desmond just made me go from ready to fall asleep to ready to run all the way to sweden to get the game.

Question time

1. are the values for the points and such adjustable, like making a weapon cost less or something of the sort? Will we be going insane to try to get points for unlocks it will it be fairly easy?

2. are the maps scaleable like in BF2 so if you dont have to spend a long time running half way across mexico to get some troubly maker trying to get a control point? Or is that one of the reasons you cant capture a zone without it being connected to an existing zone(keep the action on one front?)

Haha, first I read that first sentence like this:

"desmond just made me go from ready -> to fall asleep -> to ready -> to run all the way to sweden to get the game."

I was like: "Whaaa?!" (as in Dr Farnsworth)

haha, I guess I'm getting a little tired! :rolleyes:

Anyway, answers:

1. My guess is that it's an easy mod. In any way, it's not a menu option at this point. Getting enough points to move on to heavier weapons is very easy, but you need to keep those tactical points coming in, because each time you die you need to spend some of them on a new set of weapons. It's just to push people into engaging in the battle and not just hide in the back zones like cowards. Being a sniper myself, I can sometimes find it hard to get by, but that all pays off when my 50 cal bullets zing across the rooftops and pop heads on the other side of the map...

2. MP maps are not scalable - it's not like in BF where you would just disable a flag: here the zones are connected by supply lines and those would have to be redrawn if the map should work after you've disabled a set of peripheral zones to make it smaller... that would mess up the tactical layout. Also, you would need to not only disable the effect these zones have on the gameplay (that is, their status as zones that can be dominated) but also seal them off so that people can't even go there.

Say a simple map looks like this, with zones A through L, E being the home base for one team, and H being the home base for the other:

(don't mind the dots, they're just to even out the distances in this fine piece of ASCII art)

A = B = C = D

|| .. || .. || .. ||

E = F = G = H

|| .. || .. || .. ||

I. = J. = K = L

If you disabled a row of zones, so the map looked like this:

A = B = C = D

|| .. || .. || .. ||

E = F = G = H

|| .. || .. || .. ||

X = X = X = X

Then people could move through the "disabled" zones and go straight to one of the key zones in the middle without the enemy team being able to track that movement (remember the flashing on the HUD map when a zone begins to be taken over). It would be like travelling "outside the grid", and the map wouldn't work as nicely.

You see now why scaling DOM maps would be a tricky thing?

I know, a very lengthy description of the reason for not having scalable maps, but I'm all about giving answers tonight, so there you go.

We hope the set of maps included in the retail version provides a good starting kit with an wide array of maps suitable for different numbers of participants. And, as stated before, new MP maps as well as modes are in the making.

I'm not really concerned with not having all gametypes available on release because:

-It's been said that they are being worked on as we discuss this.

-If the respawn settings can be changed, which I believe they are, Domination can also pretty much be TvT Deathmatch to those who want it. Like in paintballing, we usually play CTF but hardly ever get to the flag cuz usually everyone on one team gets taken out, making it pretty much Deathmatch with an objective.

Domination, I think, will also decrease the number of major campers, because while they're sitting there everyone else is out capturing zones and winning the game. Just my thoughts :)

I'm so excited that after so long a wait and pre-ordering (in January!) I'm finally gonna have a chance to enjoy this oh-so wonderfull piece of work by GRIN. Can't wait!! :grin1:

Third, you need to hold the zones to keep the upper hand in the match, so runnin' 'n' gunnin' (ok, there's no literal run and gun so I guess that would be run-and-stop-real-quick-and-shoot) without an agenda isn't really helping the higher goal: To dominate. In other words, in Domination it is very important that you are at the right place at the right time: You need to know where you are needed, and get there fast.

I think you got your wires crossed on what run in gun is, or do you only have 2 game speeds? Walk and Run? Because everygame has a walk or run option and run and gun is applied to the moving around in the "always run" mode. But Im asssuming you guys have 3 speeds. Walk, Run and Sprint. Am I wrong? In Ravenshield you have the option to use "always run" and you can shoot on the move, but you dont move fast. Can you clarify this? I read that whole thread and it didnt mention this, unless I missed it somewhere.

Ok desmond I see what you mean now lol. You mean you can't "sprint" while shooting your gun.

edit: run n' gun usually means move while you shoot in most games, not shoot while you sprint so I couldn't really get what you were trying to say

I hope you don't vote for forcing people to stop completely to be able to fire the weapon? That would be kind of über hardcore. ;)

What would be next? Forcing people to kneel before raising their guns? Hoho.

Well, the walk speed in GRAW is so slow it can hardly be classified as "run 'n' gun" to shoot while walking. That's the nice thing - walking won't get you anyhere fast, but you can shoot while doing it. Running is very fast (at least in contrast to the walk speed), but you can't shoot while doing it, so the two moves really complement each other. Everywhere you go, you have to consider the alternatives: "Whould I run - being a hard-to-hit fast-moving target who can't shoot back, or should a move slowly and thus securing my ability to shoot back at anyone who might spot me before I reach the next cover?"

This is the so-called "micro gamplay" (small, frequently recurring decisions, actions and reactions) that makes it all so heavenly tactical. :thumbsup:

I hope you don't vote for forcing people to stop completely to be able to fire the weapon? That would be kind of über hardcore. ;)

What would be next? Forcing people to kneel before raising their guns? Hoho.

Thats what I was thinking you meant O_O... anyway <3 you sound guy

Desmond22 go to bed, don't you have a girlfriend/wife or something that miss's you. It's 2.45 am and your still watching these boards.

At least I got the excuse my work here is not done so I need to sit and work and occasionally look at gr.net for news.

GO TO BED!!! :hehe:

Dawn

I think you got your wires crossed on what run in gun is, or do you only have 2 game speeds?  Walk and Run?  Because everygame has a walk or run option and run and gun is applied to the moving around in the "always run" mode.  But Im asssuming you guys have 3 speeds.  Walk, Run and Sprint.  Am I wrong?  In Ravenshield you have the option to use "always run"  and you can shoot on the move, but you dont move fast.  Can you clarify this?  I read that whole thread and it didnt mention this, unless I missed it somewhere.

Ok, here's the basic movements:

When standing straight, you can move in two speeds: Walk (press forward), and run (hold shift + forward). While running you cannot shoot because your weapon is lowered.

Then you can tap the crouch button and go down to a kneeling stance. From here you can shuffle (press forward), and run crouched (hold shift + forward). In this position you cannot sidestep, so you kind of become a smaller target, but not as effectively moving.

From here you can press the crouch button again and lie down flat on the ground. From this position you can crawl (press forward), and sprint-crawl (hold shift + forward). You can only sprint-crawl forward.

Also, you can go from standing straight to lying down with one button, and back again with the same button. On top of this, you can tip-toe (but not move while doing it, only peeking and shooting - very useful), and lean left/right in all stances (straight, crouched, lying).

Hope that clears things up!

Tiny question, I know diamonds are off in MP for enemies, but does the blue diamond show up on teammates?

was wondering if you missed my question, or just not able to answer it atm (sorry for bumping it up again =P)

If I remember correctly, yes you have the markers on your teammates - but only on your teammates. Don't remember if they can be turned off or not. I find them very useful because they help preventing friendly fire, and make synchronized advances on either side of say, a building or an obstacle, possible.

Tiny question, I know diamonds are off in MP for enemies, but does the blue diamond show up on teammates?

was wondering if you missed my question, or just not able to answer it atm (sorry for bumping it up again =P)

If I remember correctly, yes you have the markers on your teammates - but only on your teammates. Don't remember if they can be turned off or not. I find them very useful because they help preventing friendly fire, and make synchronized advances on either side of say, a building or an obstacle, possible.

Good, was hoping they were kept on for teammates, thanks. :)

Ok, here's the basic movements:

When standing straight, you can move in two speeds: Walk (press forward), and run (hold shift + forward). While running you cannot shoot because your weapon is lowered.

Then you can tap the crouch button and go down to a kneeling stance. From here you can shuffle (press forward), and run crouched (hold shift + forward). In this position you cannot sidestep, so you kind of become a smaller target, but not as effectively moving.

From here you can press the crouch button again and lie down flat on the ground. From this position you can crawl (press forward), and sprint-crawl (hold shift + forward). You can only sprint-crawl forward.

Also, you can go from standing straight to lying down with one button, and back again with the same button. On top of this, you can tip-toe (but not move while doing it, only peeking and shooting - very useful), and lean left/right in all stances (straight, crouched, lying).

Hope that clears things up!

Hmm thats interesting. That will definitely change things up a bit. :D I thought we would have a jog mode where we could still move pretty decent with our guns out. I like that though, sounds cool. Thanks for the reply.

Third, you need to hold the zones to keep the upper hand in the match, so runnin' 'n' gunnin' (ok, there's no literal run and gun so I guess that would be run-and-stop-real-quick-and-shoot) without an agenda isn't really helping the higher goal: To dominate. In other words, in Domination it is very important that you are at the right place at the right time: You need to know where you are needed, and get there fast.

I think you got your wires crossed on what run in gun is, or do you only have 2 game speeds? Walk and Run? Because everygame has a walk or run option and run and gun is applied to the moving around in the "always run" mode. But Im asssuming you guys have 3 speeds. Walk, Run and Sprint. Am I wrong? In Ravenshield you have the option to use "always run" and you can shoot on the move, but you dont move fast. Can you clarify this? I read that whole thread and it didnt mention this, unless I missed it somewhere.

So it sounds like the best tactics are having someone run up while the rest of the team covers him and then you basically "leapfrog" the rest of the team......I can't wait....... :g_withgrin:

Remind anyone of Full Metal Jacket...... :o=

Fresh

Edited by Freshmixture