Personalisation of GR3 character

I always liked personalising my character in a game. It made me feel more like I was actually him (which is a good thing for a game right?)

In Ravenshield and other games it is possible to have an armpatch, in OFP and VBS1 you can even get your own face onto the character.

Since GR3 is all about pulling the player inside the game, I was wondering if it is/will become possible to personalise your character a bit in GR3, and how.

If not, why has GRIN chosen not to implement this (bandwidth maybe?)

Will it be possible in the future through a patch?

Edited by deleyt

An Armpatch would be nice and having your name appear on the back of your uniform. Having your own faces and stuff doesn't interest me much, and I think the gear the ghosts have in GRAW is nice enough.

Edited by Steel1977

Im sure it looks cool.

My preference if you like works a bit like this.

GR1 gets moded new kits, weapons, etc.

At start of game we have a look at the kits, oh yes very nice, kits looks great, great detail on the weapons, etc, 2 mins admiring, and thats it, then you spend hours on the mission and the new map that came with the mod.

You see my point.

To be honest the only thing that I have ever thought that would look cool, on kits is a company insig, like here a GRNET insig, that would be cool.

Sorry if Im a bit of a kit joy killer. :)

We're not talking about weapon customisation because GRiN alrealy took care of that.

We're talking about character customisation.

In GR1 all players of a class looked the same you couldn't tell who was who by looking at them, most clans don't allow IFF so how would you recognise your teammates.

So a name written on the back and chest would be nice. There was a screenshot of a soldier wich name 'Brown' you could clearly see on his back. That would be a nice feature. An armpatch would also be great.

Putting your own face in game could be a problem. Your face won't always match the shape of the characters head, could look pretty weird if it doesn't match lol.

In 360 you could make/selct your own head/face from a dozen head/face models.

GRiN doens't have the time to do this.

But an armpatch and nametag on back and chest I see doable.

[EDIT]

Armpatch ofcourse on the upper arm.

Nametag on back and chest.

Just to make it clear before someone is picking on it

[/EDIT]

Edited by Spyro

Being able to put in a custom face works nicely in ofp and vbs1, you can recognise your teammates without having to rely on the indicator to tell you who is who, while I liked the armpatch system in RVS it didnt really add that much and the patches glowed in the dark which wasnt a good thing.

I could have sworn that I saw some screenies that showed MP customization of character. Anyone else remember this? It was burried deep in the Ubi site. Though it was under PC it could have been for another platform...

Edit: found it and it is from a console version...

REC0N  Apr 11 2006, 05:37 PM Post #1 

Recruit - 3rd Class

Group: Members

I saw by surprice on the original GR:AW hompage that it is possible to create your own multiplayer character, does this also count for the PC version or is this an only console feature?

http://www.ghostrecon.com/uk/ghostrecon3/characters.php

(Roll down the page).

This post has been edited by REC0N: Apr 11 2006, 05:39 PM

--------------------

SAS_Trp_Recon

22nd [sAS] E.V.R

Who Dares Wins

Edited by FWF.Osteo

There are goods and bads to armpatches / names on backs.

The goods are ...easy to distinguish team mates. The bads are enemies can distinguish you easier. Not sure if i like the whole arm / back idea.... I also seee it being abused if not filtered in some way. I can only imaging what some clans will chose for it.

While I always like the idea of customization, I think it doesn't have to be a logo on the back or an armpatch - just the name. Have a look at this:

grawpcsp267af.th.jpg

See the name ("Brown" in this case) on the soldier's back? Maybe GRIN could find a way to let you enter your name, then the game generates a dynamic texture with your name on it and applies it to the individual model in coop or MP. Wouldn't that be a nice feature for an add-on or maybe even a patch? IMO it would certainly add something to the realism and the atmosphere in GRAW.

Edited by Vth_F_Smith

The name would be cool if players don't abuse it.

That brings on another question... Will GRAW support ASCII? I hope to GOD it doesn't.

ASCII names are annoying and cause problems with stats and other things in xml. Hopefully it will be keyboard keys only.

I have never wanted to personalise GR1 dont see the point, thats me though.

Yes, that's you.

Good thing about options is, that you can choose not to use it.

GR1 gets moded new kits, weapons, etc.

At start of game we have a look at the kits, oh yes very nice, kits looks great, great detail on the weapons, etc, 2 mins admiring, and thats it, then you spend hours on the mission and the new map that came with the mod.

You see my point.

No, not really. You're missing the point.

It's just fun adding something personal to the character.

Besides, it's functional aswell.

During matches/tournaments you want to minimize comms as much as possible and an armpatch or a name on the back would reduce "who's standing next to me right now?".

I've spend quite some time getting a really nice camo-painted face for VBS1 once I learned how to do it.

Others did the same and it all just added to the fun, even outside the game.

We even made a gallery with everyone posting their screenshots. It's hilarious and that's what gaming is about: having fun.

Modding faces in games is a personnel thing.

Its not in GRAW. PC.

If you get the option to do this at a later date, this will be a personnel choice, for people who mod it and people that download it.

The times that one would actually look at a team mate in a game is minimal.

Why because if you play correctly you should not be that close.

I know for sure in this game you take yours off what you are covering to look at your team mates face, you will end up dead.

But what the hell if you want to mod the hell out of Johns Face go for it, Im sure it will be a lot of fun. :D

In VBS1 when you zoom in from a few 100metres away and recognise the face it all adds to the experience, especially when its bright blue eh Nightcrawler? All pretty conjectural at the moment cos we dont know whether it will be in, its one of those "oooh thats pretty" things that after using it you forget how useful it is in recognising your mates.

In more 'social' games, it makes more sense to put this kind of customization into a game, such as MMORPG's. But for a tactical shooter, I don't see the need and I don't really desire it.

You are not socially interacting with the characters in the game, whether they be AI or a Player. You are trying to kill them. :devil:

As a child my friends and I used to run through the woods with fake guns and play war. It was great fun. As an adult my friends and I still do this but we don't run through the woods with fake guns...we run through a GR map as a unit toward an objective and attack those who appose us. It's even greater fun! One of the things that makes it so much fun is character modding. There is nothing more exhilarating than looking to my side (in game) and seeing the FACE of my friends and the arm patch of our unit and the Alias we all go by emblazened across their backs... B E A S T, W R A I T H, R E N O and me D I A B L O. Dang, now I want to play. Unfortunately, it's not as easy to get together with these guys as it was when we were children!

I'm all for character modding and deeply hope that we will see this ability in the near future.

Mods are the way to customize a game to your liking. GR provided possibilities in this reguard, and if GRIN is good about support with mod tools including plugins etc., GRAW will be just as good if not better.

So here's to GRIN giving us the proper tools to mod with. :g_cheers:

Cant help but notice no one from GRIN has chimed in on this.

Colin did GRIN tell you flat out that face modding is not available?

You can put me on the side that definately wants to be able to mod my chr. Its the one question I have been asking for months.

I guess guys playing on a LAN with people they dont know would not need and or want this......but playing with my COMPANY....its a very important part of our gaming experience.

Nothing is better, and more fun than instant visual recognation of your best friend in game.....not trying to read his vest (although we did put NAMES on VEST)....not putting your crosshairs on him to see if its your buddy..but just looking at him...and going..Yep...there is Diablo

If its not in right out of the box...fine...but I would hope they get on it ASAP.

and to answer another thread....yes....putting my face over someone elses "bone structure" did cause the face to look different than before....but with as many "shells" as there were out there for GR1...just took finding the right one to make it look as close as possible.....in an ideal world....they would put multiple face shells in game (ala the Madden Football franchise)....and then you would import your face into game..and choose the shell that best fit......It would also be good to do with body types...Im a bigger guy than RENO....it would be good if that would also be available to easily tweak.

and easily is not even necessary.....I know many didnt find it that easy to face mod GR1.....just make it possible...and let the modding community take over.

HACK aka BEAST

Modding your multiplayer face would be good, but it would most probably be abused. We'll end up fighting alongside Cartman and ######. "Oi!!! Gaddamnit its a bad kitty!!!"

But I reckon;

1) a place for a country flag on the arm;

2) a place for a squad patch; and

3) your name across the back, like in that screenshot;

should be in the game. I'd be surprised if this hasn't been considered. They've adressed just about everything we've asked question about.

Armpatches were an excellent feature of multiplayer RvS. Especially for screenshots and website graphics etc.

putting my face over someone elses "bone structure" did cause the face to look different than before

teehee.

Edited by tonytwotoes

I agree with Deleyt. It may not be essential to the game, but it does add to it. It's not really about seeing yourself either, as much as it is seeing your oponents or teammates. Sorry to bring up the x360 version, but they do have a nice character customization setup for multiplayer.

It's just a cool thing really, not to the point where people are wearing clown suits, just real gear that fits their look. Could possibly make modding easier as well, in terms of adding not replacing, but if it's not built in, oh well, it's something I can do without if it meant delivering the product faster.

an arm patch imo would nice ...such as rvs. its not so much for the person playing as it is for others. Even thought this isnt a mmo it still has a very social community. Not to mention its little things like this that make clans fun. If none of this stuff mattered then while ur at it drop clan tags. cause I mean whats the point right ...you know who is in your clan why should anyone else care? whats wrong with extendin the idea of a clan tag to an arm patch. As far as making the gamne lag .... that makes no sense. There are many things in graw that will effect your performance ....a low quality image for your arm patch is the least of your worries. :huh:

Arm patches are a sound idea, R6 had them, and for identification I think they would be a cool option. As for putting your own face in the game..............errrr.....what the blazes? Keep the gimmicks gentlemen..... I 'm sorry are these the EA forums.........? I'll be spending more time playing the game than trying to get my face on a character................