x850xt and GRAW

Moezter

I don't mean to spam but I can't find any place with this kind of info. I'm putting a system together with a 3.0 p4 1gig ram and radeon x850xt. Am I only gonna be able to get medium settings?

thanks and sorry if im not allowed to ask hardware related questions

im using my hdtv with 1080 res. The x850xt is supposed to handle component, vga and hdmi so I dont know which one to use

Your card is fine for GRAW at medium settings at least. Don't think about upgrading until you get the game.

Look on your card. Chances are it has a DVI, VGA and S-Video output.

Use DVI. If that's not available, use VGA.

x800 series are 2 models back...

x800

then the x1800 series

now the x1900 series

plus the x800 series are only shader model 2.0... so i would think just medium @ prob MAX 1280x1024, and probs no AA.

That's not the correct way to look at it. If you go by your system (flagship cards), the X800 is "3 models back" (X1900, X1800, X850, X800)

The more appropriate way to look at it is this:

ATI's previous generation was the X300-X850. The X850 was a refresh of the X800. (Most refreshes mean a respin of the tweaked graphics core, possible die shrink and higher clocked core/RAM.)

The latest gen (X1K series) sees the X1900 as a refresh of the X1800.

Im hoping that my X800XT will do more than med settings. Wonder what other game GRAW can compare to to get a idear on how harsh the engine is in this game? My PC runs farcry with ease at 1280 x 1024 with full settings, Run F.E.A.R on most setting highest apart from shadows and a few others. BF2 again most settings highest always at 1280 x 1024.

i've an X800XL 256mb and all actual games run fine at high settings with that card (BF2 at high settings with AA4X and AF4X overall)

so i think that i'll not have problems with GRAW

How can you play BF2 at thoes settings not even I can? your core is at 400 MHz and memory at 500 MHz mine is at 500mhz x 500mhz at clocked at 520 x 540mhz and still cant reach thoes settings? you must have it at 800 x 600 res or somthink or mega overclocked your card?

i hope i can run graw on max on 1280*1024 with 4xfsaa+8xaf+hdr+softshadow on my x1800xt 512mb card that i did buy to run graw on high.

you should be right...

dunno about fully maxxed, but pretty close to it, i think this game will benefit with sli.

if u have 4x AA why put up the reso.. thats wat i dont understand.. and if u go to resolutions above 1280x1024 AA isnt really needed..

I always run my games with 1024x768, but have AA at 4x

I wouldnt have AA at 4x if at that res but was wondering how he could get BF2 to even run that well with his card.

fedayn What memory have you got out of interest is it gamers memory?

Edited by daztrek

@ daztrek, in my other pc i have an ATI x700 pro, i pull off high texture settings @ 1024 768 w/ 2xAA/2xAF (BF2)

yes its overclocked to 480/487 but its not overclocked much at all and still has stock cooling.

dont know why an x800 wouldnt be able to do the same?

Edited by aCid

if u have 4x AA why put up the reso.. thats wat i dont understand.. and if u go to resolutions above 1280x1024 AA isnt really needed..

fedayn What memory have you got out of interest is it gamers memory?

OCZ DDR PC-3200EL 2GB - 1GBx2 Dual Channel Gold *GX* XTC - OCZ4002048ELGEGXT-K

I don't mean to spam but I can't find any place with this kind of info. I'm putting a system together with a 3.0 p4 1gig ram and radeon x850xt. Am I only gonna be able to get medium settings?

I don't know why you received so much negative feedback on this vid card. ATI's X850 is one of the most powerful AGP cards out there. If you get the Platinum Edition (PE) you will definitely be able to run GR:AW on mostly high settings.

Being able to run GR:AW on ALL high settings would require an AGEIA PHYSICS capable vid card...something most players won't have in time for GR:AW...

I don't know why you received so much negative feedback on this vid card. ATI's X850 is one of the most powerful AGP cards out there. If you get the Platinum Edition (PE) you will definitely be able to run GR:AW on mostly high settings.

Being able to run GR:AW on ALL high settings would require an AGEIA PHYSICS capable vid card...something most players won't have in time for GR:AW...

i read an article online on how to overclock the xt as high as the pe

I wouldnt have AA at 4x if at that res but was wondering how he could get BF2 to even run that well with his card.

Having 2GB RAM to run BF2 is very important. I have a 6800GT I thought was running BF2 very poorly (low framerates) until I upgraded my RAM from 512 to 2GB. Besides vastly better load times, the RAM has significantly improved the framerates - like it removed a constraint on the vid card performance.

You can't draw the same conclusions for GRAW from any other game out there. Just wait a few more weeks!!

I don't know why you received so much negative feedback on this vid card.  ATI's X850 is one of the most powerful AGP cards out there.  If you get the Platinum Edition (PE) you will definitely be able to run GR:AW on mostly high settings.

Not sure who has been negative about the X850, but again no one can predict how that card will run the game (besides GRIN) until the game is out. All we can do now is guess.

There is no doubt that the X1900XTX runs approx twice as fast as a X850. GRIN has said there is no card right now that can run GRAW smoothly at all highest settings at a high resolution except maybe a high end SLI rig. You can draw some conclusions from there ...

Of course if you want to play GRAW at 1024x768 with a X850 with all the graphics turned up, it may be able to pull off ... no one knows for sure til the game is out.

GRIN has always been on the cutting edge of graphics ... we can expect to see some really cool stuff when the game is out.

I know this is a video card topic, but your performance would increase greatly if you put 2 gig of ram in.