Head bob

I noticed in the I27 thread 'Screen Wobble' was used to simulate movement, walking, running etc. I assume this is what most games call 'Head Bob'.

My question is can this be toggled On/Off?

Some games allow this to be toggled which is very welcome as some games can cause nausea/travel sickness with this option on.

Some games allow this to be toggled which is very welcome as some games can cause nausea/travel sickness with this option on.

Very welcome option and I hope GRAW allows it to be toggled off as I sure as heck wouldn't want to spend $50 on game (which makes me sick enough) that makes me sick when playing. :(

Just a test for all complaining (I know somebody don't like it).

Get a video camera ... press the cam on the side of your head ...

then record some slow moving and running. Even if your cam has

optical stabelizer it will shake. Same is when you running with

goggles. Bo said it is lower shaking in FP than in cross com.

Agreed. I can see why some people might suffer from motion sickness type things, but I'm quite pleased with this feature.

And just where, and who, said please remove it? And who was complaining?

My question was quite easily worded.

Would there be a toggle?

How that would lead to me running around my house with a camcorder strapped to my head is beyond me ;)

I can play HL2 about 45 min max before I had turn it off, due to nausea.

I tried Ginger---but I usually end up ginger ale and vodka and calling it a day.

Seriously, I wish it could be turn off or allow someone to patch it later so it maybe fixed.

Also my 2 cents...later I gotta go look for more pennies on the ground. :grin1:

Would there be a toggle?

How that would lead to me running around my house with a camcorder strapped to my head is beyond me ;)

you guys are funny... :rofl: if someone does run around the house with videocam strapped on their head, please record it and send it to Break.com or post it here so we see this hilarious project. :grin1:

The head MOVEMENT (head bobin sounds gross) can be done subtly so that no motionn sickness is caused. If its done to much I agree, it can cause headaches. Im sure if its not togable, its done correctly and not overdone.

Edited by smokin

Would there be a toggle?

I didn't said you complained, I said "for all who" (in the world who did that often ;)).

I didn't try to answer the question because I can't. I only said that I like it in the current movement in the videos and it is realistic for me unlike the floating movement in other games like HL2.

So here is the next experiment ... grab a gun and ice skating shoes then go to the next frozen lake and have some FPS experience :rocky:.

I noticed in the I27 thread 'Screen Wobble' was used to simulate movement, walking, running etc. I assume this is what most games call 'Head Bob'.

My question is can this be toggled On/Off?

According to the options screenshot. There are no toggles for anything like that. Unless we get to adjust that stuff via the console. Your probably stuck with it.

This is an interesting subject as I too, find excessive head bobbing to be nauseating. While GR has some, it wasn't was as bad as some other games I have tried. One of these was Raven Shield. This was another big complaint of mine as did the death blur when the operative spun around while falling to the ground.

If done properly, it should not cause someone to want to vomit all over the place. I do not recall GRAW being that bad from when I saw it.

I was adding in of what I think would be appropriate.

It's a matter of what the the brain would interpret, rather than a camera.

The camera on the cross coms should shake.

If I am running down the street, if there is constant similarity, everthing seems smooth.

Even the effect of just leaning to the left or right. The ground orientation is still the same. Done wrong in some games when they tilt the ground IMO.

Hmmm, New question. How does the lean and aim look???

I would gripe about the wobble. :rocky:

Personally i love these little shakes while sprint and head bob during walk. It is integrated part of GRAW body awareness.  Of coures it might be togable in SP but it shouldn't  be togable in MP or at least it should be a server option .

yes i do like the headbob :grin1:

i don't care for head bob.

since it's from a first person perspective rather than a camera, it should simulate exactyl what the person would see. ours brains compensate for movement like a gyro, so i don't think shaking while in-character makes sense. as long as it's not exaggerated i don't mind. but best keep it as an option just in case.

i don't care for head bob.

since it's from a first person perspective rather than a camera, it should simulate exactyl what the person would see.  ours brains compensate for movement like a gyro, so i don't think shaking while in-character makes sense.  as long as it's not exaggerated i don't mind.  but best keep it as an option just in case.

The brain compensate it, but you still notice it. If you have a limited view like with ski goggles (or a monitor) then you notice it more.

It is an interesting issue, I don't mind the headbob, I think it is cool and it is part of the body awareness feature. It would be great if games in the future would consider putting an option to turn it off for people who gets motion sickness. My cousin is one of those people. He can't play FPS, after 30 minutes he gets nauseous.

'Simulator Sickness', 'Game Sickness' and 'Nauseogenic' effects due to what's called 'view vection' and 'view self-vection' in combat simulator design are very real, very common and has been exhaustively studied at great expense by the U.S. Navy and Army.

Initially there was a lot of concern that a very high percentage pilots and soldiers that were not otherwise susceptible to motion sickness were puking and soetimes even fainting in combat and flight simulators. This raised the obvious doubts about these peoples fitness to handle high risk missions, multi-million dollar aircraft and that they may have faked their way past previous evaluations of motion sickness.

If you do a a Google search of 'simulator sickness', 'game sickness' you'll find rather a lot of information -- one study shows that as much as 40% of the population that may not be at all susceptible to motion sickness, becomes quickly nauseated if exposed to a first person perspective in a game or simulator with induced 'self vection' or 'view bob and roll' as it's sometimes called by game Developers...

The reason this makes some people sick is quite simple; view bob & roll or vection is not realistic as it's executed in FPS games. In the real world the kinesiology of human movement is very individual (most people bob and roll very little), very complex (compared to simple game bob & roll metrics); and interaction of body, eye, brain (which is also individual) damps movment and creates a very steady visual image in our brains.

In games that force a visual affectation of bob and roll, we are seeing the world through a camera that's locked to some imaginary 2nd person head that has no eye/brain damping and moves with very simplistic mechanics that are both typically not close to any average human, and are often not remotely close to what you as an individual experience...

But our brains can sometimes be easily fooled, if it looks real enough but if something is too distorted our brains try to (but can't) reconcile the difference and look to our middle ears to corroborate the confusing information... In the case of a game this confuses our brain even more telling us something is very wrong, autonomic self-preservation perseveres and makes you sick so you stop doing what ever your doing.

Being able to adjust crude bob & roll metrics and/or completely disable all view vection in any game -- especially one with any premise of realism, scale or simulation is a must have IMHO, there's just too much fact. reference information, and too many people that will get sick and won't play/buy your game to allow otherwise.

:huh:

Edited by Waika

• 1 year later...

I wasted $45 on Call of Duty and could never play it more than 30-45 minutes because of this very thing.

In the GRAW2 demo I have already had to stop playing because of this. I'll wait and see what folks are saying before I make that mistake again and waste $$$ on another game I end up not being able to play.

For those of you that can't comprehend what this is like, reverse your mouse control (Invert mouse) and try to play for 30 minutes. Keep a trash can nearby...