Can i run GRAW without a soundcard ?

Even if I wanted one (not conviced Ill see/hear much difference) I just realized I dont have the pci slots for it. I have 4pci slots available, one is covered up by a big fat x1900 card and rendered unuseable, I have another pci video card, a tv tuner card, and the last pci slot is reserved for a PPU card when I can affford one and its available.

Not sure if a sound card can fit into a PCIE x1 or 4 though, anyone know?

I realize I speak out of ignorance here, but the info I come accross reguarding onboard sound VS sound card is that sound card is better, ......... just because(not good enough, nor is the logic that it releaves cpu power). Dunno, anyone who has good review or relevant current information reguarding this topic, please share.

As stated earlier, the only onboard sound solution that was worth a damn was the nForce2, but then it was a specific chip and not all of them had it.

Onboard sound utilizes the CPU for audio decoding and such. That puts a big hurt on processing game information. I found this to be true when GR first game out. People complain of lag in games, especially when lots of sounds are created, well using onboard sound is the problem. Using an add in card relieves the pressure on the CPU and allows it to do it's thing instead of both.

I realize I speak out of ignorance here, but the info I come accross reguarding onboard sound VS sound card is that sound card is better, ......... just because(not good enough, nor is the logic that it releaves cpu power). Dunno, anyone who has good review or relevant current information reguarding this topic, please share.

I'd say the fact that we had lots of problems with onboard soundcards (sound rolloff being set to zero meaning all sounds were played at maximum gain regardless of distance to the listener, for example) during development is an argument as good as any to buy a dedicated sound card.

http://www.anandtech.com/multimedia/showdoc.aspx?i=2338&p=1

It's a year old, but it reviews the Intel HD audio onboard solution, Audigy 2, Audigy 4 and something called a Gina3G which is a 2d solution designed for recording and mixing rather than gaming.

http://www.anandtech.com/multimedia/showdoc.aspx?i=2518&p=1

There's one comparing the X-Fi to an Audigy 4 and the Gina3G.

Edited by TedSmith

@GRiN_desmond22: Do you have any experience with M-Audio cards?

I'm currently looking for a new soundcard. I found the M-Audio Revolution 5.1. I'm interested in this card because it supports ASIO 2, and EAX (unlike the PRO cards from M-Audio which do not support EAX :( ).

No I have no experience in M-Audio cards - but I have been meaning to get one for our next project (meaning that even if I haven't used one, I firmly believe it's good). I'd guess the pro ones don't have 5.1 because they're meant for music mixing - which is what I would use mine for.

I don't think M-Audio has any edge when it comes to gaming though - even if some of their cards do have 5.1 output.

Thanks for all the info desmond. I just bought the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS card from Newegg.com to go with my new computer. It was only $69.00 for all interested.

My Aud 2 zs cost me around £90+ a superb card. I just replaced it with the X-Fi em, man what an awesome sound card is the X-Fi em, cost me £70.

No I have no experience in M-Audio cards - but I have been meaning to get one for our next project (meaning that even if I haven't used one, I firmly believe it's good). I'd guess the pro ones don't have 5.1 because they're meant for music mixing - which is what I would use mine for.

I don't think M-Audio has any edge when it comes to gaming though - even if some of their cards do have 5.1 output.

Thanks for the replay :) I was looking for a card that combined Studio quality (for programs like Reason, FL studio etc.) and gaming. But what you say is true (i just read some reviews). I'll get a Audigy then :) and for some more PRO stuff i'll create a second pc with a M-Audio Audiophile :yes:

Thanks for the replay :) I was looking for a card that combined Studio quality (for programs like Reason, FL studio etc.) and gaming. But what you say is true (i just read some reviews). I'll get a Audigy then :) and for some more PRO stuff i'll create a second pc with a M-Audio Audiophile :yes:

I have an audigy 2 since it was released and use it for music (FL Studio) and also gaming and its a perfect balance ... the creative cards with out box is also a bonus for in/outs and such for outboard kit with music creation to top it off.

Got tired of my intergrated sound card not cutting it.

In FEAR and Oblivion, it would make the sounds a high picthed grinding/whirl or cause everyone to start talking in slow motion.

Which was disturbing when I killed someone and they let out a creepy groan.

Try explaining to the neighbors what those loud male groans coming out of your basement were.

:blink:

Ordered this cheap card yesterday from NewEgg.

Just finished installing it, works like a charm.

Can totally do some Karaoke over Teamspeak now.

:devil:

I get by just fine with my on-board sound, might upgrade in the future to an xfi or audigy2, I just dont see the point of spending 70+ dollars on one currently. Plus I usually only use my sennheiser headphones and I never have trouble owning at video games. :)

Ok heres what Anandtech had to say about my mobo

Every board in this nForce4 Ultra roundup uses the Realtek ALC850 codec to provide onboard audio, and this includes the Epox. The ALC850 Codec provides four pairs of stereo outputs, with 5-Bit volume controls and multiple stereo and mono inputs, along with flexible mixing, and gain and mute functions. Two 50mW/20ohm headset audio amplifiers are integrated at Front-Out and Surround-Out, and both amplifiers are selectable for Front-Out, Line-In and Mic-In as a Universal Audio Jack.

You can find more information on the ALC850 at Realtek.

Epox provides a full selection of rear I/O ports. These include 6 programmable audio mini jacks plus optical and coaxial SPDIF out connectors to support the Realtek ALC850. The back panel also includes PS2 mouse and keyboard, 1 standard Firewire (IEEE1394a), Parallel port, 1 serial port, 4 USB, and one RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet.

So will this Realtek ALC850 run with GRAW (like at all, I'm not immediately concerned with having it sound really sweet, thats more of an $eventual$ goal)?