I played PC GR:AW at the I27 event for ages...

Too bad you only got to play one map, Im really curious how many MP maps there are, and hopefully, if there are a good number of forest type maps. I dont want to play strictly in urban maps, There is a rain forest right there begging to be played in!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad you only got to play one map, Im really curious how many MP maps there are, and hopefully, if there are a good number of forest type maps. I dont want to play strictly in urban maps, There is a rain forest right there begging to be played in!

I think there was 5 on the version I played. I'm sure there will be more..

I did play a few maps, church, shanty town and others..

Edited by [FPS].SF Citizen Kained

.SF Citizen Kained,Apr 17 2006, 11:16 AM]

I think there was 5 on the version I played.  I'm sure there will be more..

I did play a few maps, church, shanty town and others..

Would you mind describing them a wee bit? Were they all urban? any Wooded area? How were they set up, four start zones in each corner? What about map balance?

Edited by MissLoki

http://www.fpsforces.co.uk/images/g18.jpg

I miss the hit % and rounds fired etc in the after action statistics... 

Has that really been lifted out from the game?

Ack!

I also thought there was going to be a GR like lobby? I don't see any lobby there, chat or statistics besides points that i'm not sure i would care as much about as i would my stats. I see there is a next match 12 at the bottom..meaning that isn't only the after action... that is the inbetween also.

Time for my 1st negative comment... That reminds me way to much of RVS.

No, like in real life where poeple are not turning a bright orange. HDR sucks... So can I turn it off?

The screen below shows that you can turn the dynamic lights and dynamic shadows off. No need to panic.

http://www.fpsforces.co.uk/images/g5.jpg

silent_op

Dynamic lighting and Shadow are fine. HDR is a totally different thing. Not being able to turn it off is about as bad as those games that force you to play with Overbright.. At that point I sell the game on E-bay.

Its time for my first negative comment as well. Maybe its just the build that we are seeing. But it seems as if this game has very little advanced options to customize the game,graphics,and sound. Where is the AA setting? Where are the HDR settings? Where are the particle debris,bullet marks,dead body settings? How come we cant adjust the opacity of the hud? Or a simple setting to adjust crosshair size,color, or even if it is turned on at all.

Where are the aftergame statistics? :( I thought it should be pretty standard to display the amount of shots fired\hit. Type of weapon each player used. The status of their health when the game had ended. I thought we were going to get to see even more statistcis this time around. Like distinguish which kills were made from grenades,suicides,gunshots and publish them at the end of the game. What about teamkills will those be shown at the end of a round? Dont get me wrong the game itself looks great. But Ive always like a ton of options for my games so I can customize it to my own personal liking. I was under the impression that GR:AW was gonna have a ton of nice options. Unfortunatley the options are extremely basic.

Last question, we will have access to the engine controls via console?

Dynamic lighting and Shadow are fine.  HDR is a totally different thing. Not being able to turn it off is about as bad as those games that force you to play with Overbright.. At that point I sell the game on E-bay.

Post effects (aka Post-processing effects) is HDR/Bloom, and since the screencap shows it at "low", I assume there will be a "medium, high, and off" setting as well.

Dynamic lighting and Shadow are fine.  HDR is a totally different thing. Not being able to turn it off is about as bad as those games that force you to play with Overbright.. At that point I sell the game on E-bay.

Post effects (aka Post-processing effects) is HDR/Bloom, and since the screencap shows it at "low", I assume there will be a "medium, high, and off" setting as well.

No post effects are what you see above a fire in-game, wich would be image distortion. That has nothing to do with HDR.

HDR is what Bo discribed it as. Unfortunatly if not done right, it makes things look blurred and Washed out. Look at the screen shots and see how everything has is either a pale-blue or a washed out-orange tint to it, that's HDR.

Edited by Aaronson

Its time for my first negative comment as well. Maybe its just the build that we are seeing. But it seems as if this game has very little advanced options to customize the game,graphics,and sound. Where is the AA setting? Where are the HDR settings? Where are the particle debris,bullet marks,dead body settings? How come we cant adjust the opacity of the hud? Or a simple setting to adjust crosshair size,color, or even if it is turned on at all.

Limiting these options may be a good thing actually. The less of these, the less chance someone will change something to give them a BIG advantage over someone who did not. In MP that is a good thing that is. Also it uses xml... bet some of the settings is buried from the normal users sight in an xml file somewhere.

Personally I think the HDR looks fantastic, but it's obviously a personal thing. Also, I've not played the game yet so I'm basing my judgement on videos and screenshots only. However, living in a country with seriously hot and sunny days I like the realistic way the lighting changes how everything looks, since thats pretty much how it is in real life. In summer I cannot go outside without sunglasses, unless its raining - the brightness is actually physically painful.

Some games are made with a HDR/Overbright look that can´t be even disabled. Blazing Angels is one of them and Need for Speed Most Wanted is another. Either people like it or they don´t and if they can´t get used to it they should not buy it. GRAW will have a demo, that will help in this regard.

I also like the HDR in GRAW PC, one of the best I saw so far in any game. The only thing I might do is add a color profile for GRAW into the Nvidia color correction tab and increase the blue color channel somewhat and set digital vibrance to low.

I photoshoped a GRAW picture to showcase these settings.

The original GRAW picture:

http://www.ghostrecon.com/uk/images/GRAW_PC_SP_26.jpg

GRAW picture with a stronger blue channel and digital vibrance at low (which is basically around 15% more color saturation):

GRAW_blue_dv_low.jpg

Edited by agentkay

Limiting these options may be a good thing actually. The less of these, the less chance someone will change something to give them a BIG advantage over someone who did not. In MP that is a good thing that is. Also it uses xml... bet some of the settings is buried from the normal users sight in an xml file somewhere.

Personally I think the HDR looks fantastic, but it's obviously a personal thing. Also, I've not played the game yet so I'm basing my judgement on videos and screenshots only. However, living in a country with seriously hot and sunny days I like the realistic way the lighting changes how everything looks, since thats pretty much how it is in real life. In summer I cannot go outside without sunglasses, unless its raining -  the brightness is actually physically painful.

@ ROCOAFZ: I dont see how any of those options I mentioned could give an opposing player an ufair advantage. Whats wrong with having the AA setting in game? How can adjusting the amount of time that particle debris last laying on the ground or the amount of bullet holes that can be in the walls, give an unfair advantage? What would be wrong with be able to change the size and color of the crosshair while in game. Most games give you the option to change between 20 or so different designs. Im aware that it uses XML...but if an option as simple as AA isnt included in the graphics options. Then I doubt the more advanced options that most games have standard will be in the XML. I could be wrong. Its just an observation.

@ Trident-za: I agree that the HDR is awesome. But, for people like Aaronson who dont. We should of had some more options to adjust it. Like the refresh rate of it,(how fast the dynamics of the light move). Or the amount of HDR, from 0-Max. Not only will these kind of small but helpful options solve the complaints of people who dont like HDR. It will also help those who wish to tweak their game to look as good as possible, but still perform well.

With just basic High,Med,Low on a few options, from the ingame menu anyway, there will not be much tweakers can do to improve performance and appearance.

http://www.fpsforces.co.uk/images/g18.jpg

I miss the hit % and rounds fired etc in the after action statistics... 

Has that really been lifted out from the game?

Ack!

I also thought there was going to be a GR like lobby? I don't see any lobby there, chat or statistics besides points that i'm not sure i would care as much about as i would my stats. I see there is a next match 12 at the bottom..meaning that isn't only the after action... that is the inbetween also.

Time for my 1st negative comment... That reminds me way to much of RVS.

I'm not sure but this shot here looks like the lobby and there is a text field maybe for the chat? And it looks like you can spawn into a running game which makes sense if we talking about 2 hour missions and TvT battles.

g20.jpg

Edited by Striker-1991

I'm pleased my post has got u lot chatting. I'll check again for anymore questions tomorrow.

At the end of the day we will all be playing this game in 30days or so. Some will love it some will hate it.

I'm from the old school R6 days and RS and GR1 and its along the same lines.

Its realistic, not a shootemup BF2 style game.

More from FPSFORCES.co.uk tomorrow.

GNight.

CK

.SF Citizen Kained,Apr 17 2006, 04:28 PM]

I'm pleased my post has got u lot chatting.  I'll check again for anymore questions tomorrow. 

At the end of the day we will all be playing this game in 30days or so.  Some will love it some will hate it.

I'm from the old school R6 days and RS and GR1 and its along the same lines.

Its realistic, not a shootemup BF2 style game. 

More from FPSFORCES.co.uk tomorrow.

GNight.

CK

Thanks again, Kained for takin time out and sharin.

GNight.

.SF Citizen Kained,Apr 17 2006, 10:28 PM]

I'm pleased my post has got u lot chatting. 

A lot of (sometimes a bit too detailed) chatting maybe?¿ ;o)

Yep, I'm eager to lay may hands on GR:AW too, I know it's gonna be the best tactical-pc-action since GR1 was released and I'm sure it will the best game for the next 5 years (or more) to come. I know my English is typically Dutch, I know how to handle a real smg and I know that SF. CK did what he could do to make us all happy.

Thanks for your info, your pics and your answers SF-CK. Let's just wait and see what & how GR:AW will be...

Striker... thanks, missed that screenie... looks much better then the other one.

Velocity

Here is the problem... better texture = harder to aquire target then less...

IN GR1 MP all clans run on low settings. Why you ask? Because the textures don't blend in as much and the bushes become paperlike allowing you to pick your enemy out easily in what they may think is cover. Also settings like AA and such increase visibility over a distance. That means the more money you put into your card the better you become... not your skill. I guess you can see a little of what i mean by that.

Striker... thanks, missed that screenie... looks much better then the other one.

Velocity

Here is the problem... better texture = harder to aquire target then less...

IN GR1 MP all clans run on low settings.  Why you ask?  Because the textures don't blend in as much and the bushes become paperlike allowing you to pick your enemy out easily in what they may think is cover.  Also settings like AA and such increase visibility over a distance.  That means the more money you put into your card the better you become... not your skill.  I guess you can see a little of what i mean by that.

I do agree with that, but as long as there is an "absolute minimum" that everyone can scale from in various degrees it would be no different than it is now. There already is an absolute minimum for every setting. Its called the Low setting that you can choose. Whatever the value for the low setting is like for say the number of dynamic lights. Lets just say low = 4 lights for argument sake. So. low=4 med=8 high=16. So, 4 being the absolute minimum you can choose. Id have the option to choose any number between 4 and 16.

Say someone has a 6600GT 128megs. When he puts the dynamic lights setting on high the game is almost too choppy..It runs smooth in some places..but overall not a very smooth and crisp game. When he puts it on medium, he has extra performance left. But he has no setting to try the value of 12, to make it look better than what medium will offer.

Thats just one example of why I like having the option to pick and choose myself of what I want. That is an advanced setting, not Low,Med,and High options.

Or say someone wants to play the game in very high resolutions. The crosshair may seem too small. The player may want to enlarge it. Another harmless option.Or someone like me who doesnt want to play with a crosshair at all. Im definitley wouldnt be abusing any options by not playing with a crosshair. I prefer my games to look as real as possible with the best performance I can get. Most newer games are allowing that through detailed settings.

Lets just say that someone doesnt like the huds opacity. Whats wrong with being able to set the transparency from 0=off to 5=on

With the AA comment, Im sure you are aware that, the AA settings can be changed through your graphics options on your driver program for your graphics cards. So wether its there or not in game, it will still be changed.

My point is as long as there is an absolute and locked minimum to all settings. There is no cause for concern for people abusing it. Because, like I said, there already is one. The low setting.

looks great. teh fact there are multiple gameplay modes(unlike that disappointment called BF2)

are there really only 2 additional MP weapons or is it because its an earlier build or something.

anyone else notice the barrel on the M-8 in that ironsight pic looked longer, like the sharpshooter version?