Games Radar Preview + HALO DROP Video

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, I know, you guys just want to shine with your military know-how.  :thumbsup:

...but if you see from our perspective, and consider how we fought to get that feature in, the pointing out of flaws in realism and "I know better than you" attitude is a punch in the face to those who worked so hard to get it in there.

I wouldn't go down the "I know better than you road". Nobody else involved is playing that game. ;)

It also isn't a punch in the face, so please don't take it that way. I've been in your shoes many many times so sit back and relax. :D

-John

Hehe, it's hard not to take it a wee bit personal when it's the quality of your creation people are pointing out flaws in - but what could you expect from the fan base of a realistic tactical war sim? I assume you know the feeling very well, being a developer of exactly that kind of games.

It might also be that it's "that time of the month" (post-crunch), so I'm a bit tired and easily irritated. :D

Carry on.

Hehe, it's hard not to take it a wee bit personal when it's the quality of your creation people are pointing out flaws in - but what could you expect from the fan base of a realistic tactical war sim? I assume you know the feeling very well, being a developer of exactly that kind of games.

It might also be that it's "that time of the month" (post-crunch), so I'm a bit tired and easily irritated.  :D

Carry on.

There will always be flaws in games, so accept critism and, if you agree with it, try to do better next time.

Yep, I am familiar with the feeling. :thumbsup:

Enjoy tour time off.

-John

WOW, No jump master? I might just have to cancel my pre-order. No way I buy a game that cant pass the "OMG I HAVE MICROSCOPE LOOK WHAT I FOUND!!!" test.

Nit Pickers are a dime a dozen on any forum you visit, thinking they are shedding light on a important subject, when all they are really doing is trying to show that they know more than anyone else.

Ok...what is a "Jumpmaster"? lol...I like playing these games because I can kill folks...no clue about the little things like that.  :blink:

Jumpmaster is the guy in the plane that gives the OK to jump when he has checked that conditions for jumping is A'OK...

SPYRO: Good video, shows what the jumpmaster does...That looks more like LALO jump though...

Edited by CiASpook

WOW, No jump master? I might just have to cancel my pre-order. No way I buy a game that cant pass the "OMG I HAVE MICROSCOPE LOOK WHAT I FOUND!!!" test.

Nit Pickers are a dime a dozen on any forum you visit, thinking they are shedding light on a important subject, when all they are really doing is trying to show that they know more than anyone else.

Welcome to the party............ it's already over. :lol:

-John

Welcome to the party............ it's already over. :lol:

-John

It might be over, but I can still comment on it. And being a Dev yourself, why would you want to try and down a future customer? Your nit picking and snappy comebacks have done nothing but make me lose respect for you. Ive only read a couple of your post so far in the GRAW forums, and they all seem to be telling us to beware what we are hyping.

You tell Desmond to sit back and relax, when I think you need to heed your own advice.

I think some people missed HF's point, really. There are people on this forum who nitpick about ALOT of things, things people perceive to be "realistic" or not. Alot of people are also saying things look really awesome, and more "realistic", compared to 360. All HF is saying is that this HALO sequence is a not true portrayl of what he does in real life. He has the right to point these things out, and offer an opinion that differs from the now common "GRIN rockzor's" and such.

Now if people cannot debate nicely in response to a realism critique, or a differing opinion, then you may find yourself on a little vaction.

:thumbsup:

I think some people missed HF's point, really. There are people on this forum who nitpick about ALOT of things, things people perceive to be "realistic" or not. Alot of people are also saying things look really awesome, and more "realistic", compared to 360. All HF is saying is that this HALO sequence is a not true portrayl of what he does in real life. He has the right to point these things out, and offer an opinion that differs from the now common "GRIN rockzor's" and such.

Now if people cannot debate nicely in response to a realism critique, or a differing opinion, then you may find yourself on a little vaction.

Well put.

Fresh

Did we say you could not debate? No. But we debate back. I think it is in place to motivate why you take some dev decision. OR we could just be quiet .... but I know you guys don't like that. So same rules apply for you as for us. I don't debate HF knowledge - I put in a different perspective from a dev point.

Im not here to start a flame war, and if I started one then Im sorry - I just took offence to the other developer showing up in here and telling us not slobber all over GRIN and to wait untill the game comes out to be happy.

I just think it is in poor taste for another Dev from another game to tell us not to get hyped up about something we like. I would feel the same way about the GRIN peeps if they were to show up on his game forums and tell him the same stuff.

In all actuality my post was not even directed at HF, it was for the jsonedecker. So sorry HF that post was not directed at you, and was in no way trying to put you down for your comments eventhough it came out that way.

Edited by Judge_Recluse

Yikes...at first I thought he was bent over there to blow chunks...I would be!! :wacko:

Nice video...thanks.

Maybe GRIN left that out by accident. However, if the Ghosts have new high tech gear in 2013, maybe the C130 crews have new high-tech gear to help them spot the ground (do everything the Jump Master currently does).

I'm digging deep here for this one.

silent_op

Yikes...at first I thought he was bent over there to blow chunks...I would be!! :wacko:

Nice video...thanks.

Maybe GRIN left that out by accident. However, if the Ghosts have new high tech gear in 2013, maybe the C130 crews have new high-tech gear to help them spot the ground (do everything the Jump Master currently does).

I'm digging deep here for this one.

silent_op

As I said this was no accident or as pointed out earlier big mistake. It is a matter of having the time to do it and put priority in to do it. For everything you do you need to leave something else behind when developing a game.

Simple really.

Im not here to start a flame war, and if I started one then Im sorry - I just took offence to the other developer showing up in here and telling us not slobber all over GRIN and to wait untill the game comes out to be happy.

I just think it is in poor taste for another Dev from another game to tell us not to get hyped up about something we like. I would feel the same way about the GRIN peeps if they were to show up on his game forums and tell him the same stuff.

I just took offence to the other developer showing up in here and telling us not slobber all over GRIN and to wait untill the game comes out to be happy.

As much as any dev would like to see fans excited over their upcoming product, that's actually pretty good advice to begin with. (and for what little my opinion is worth, I'm kind of tired of seeing some fans punch-drunk-drooling over a yet to be released product one moment, only to be angry claiming "betrayal" when the product doesn't live up to their overhyped expectations)

And second (and I could definately be wrong about this) I don't think John was replying to or dirrecting anything towards desmond or the rest of GRIN so much as he was replying to fan comments, and the presence (and expectation/effect) of "realism" in games. It's possible that desmond may have mistook something for being directed their way, or he may have legitmately taken exception to something all the same, but in all fairness I have yet to see Mr. Sonedecker knock their game. In fact, I even recall him commenting that "that looks hot" when a set of screenshots came out a month or so ago.

But as far as that is concerned, devs are big boys and girls...they're certainly capable of handling such things between themselves.

Edited by GB Crush

Did we say you could not debate? No. But we debate back. I think it is in place to motivate why you take some dev decision. OR we could just be quiet .... but I know you guys don't like that. So same rules apply for you as for us. I don't debate HF knowledge - I put in a different perspective from a dev point.

I wasn't really directing my response to the developers such as yourself, desmond and John. I understand you guys are putting the feature in question, and inclusion of features in general, into a developers perspective. You guys have a lot to do to get simple things in, yet alone something like this. Your responses are totally understandable. HF is talking about HALO from a USSF perspective, which is also totally understandable. Personally, I love reading his comments, and I love reading comments from all of the dev's who come here. It is very informative stuff, heck sometimes I learn more new things on this forum then I did in 2-3 days of course work. I think most people would say they wouldn't want either to stop.

The only problem in this thread is that some people cannot respect someone's statement that the feature is not truly realistic, and resort to insults and digs. That's not cool.

So what did that all mean? People need to respect other people's opinions, and leave the insults at the door. Keep that in mind, and we can have some great, productive, debate.

:yes:

The Herc insertion is a piece of work that will blow your mind, even if it is not as realistic as the real thing, see the coke bit :D.

I am very glad The team had time to put it in, its a very nice touch to convey your hunting ground from so far up.

Many of us will have small tingles on this insertion from past times.

Even if the guy that boots you out is not there.

Debate is good, but with the utmost respect during.

These forums and this one in particular will carry on many conversations over I hope the next few years, please keep it civil at all times.

All parties.

After reading what I posted earlier, I see where everything went wrong.

First I am a firm believer in stating your opinion. If you have gripes about the game, let them be heard, but the same goes for praise as well.

I was upset at first for being told to feel a certain way and not the way I feel now. Im not a guy sitting here slobbering over GRAW, but I am excited and hold my reservation to slobber and or nit pick after the game comes out and I have played it.

As for jsone, I apologize for what I typed, but I was alittle ###### off at your snappy comeback of "me missing the party statement". I was defending a game that I am excited for, and have waited 5 years for, I just chose the wrong way to do so.

Im not typing all of this because I was threatened with a "vacation" Im doing this because I see where I went wrong.

Bo has clearly stated his logic behind the insertions and, as usual, cleared all doubts. Grin has had limited time to incorporate various features and they have done their best.

We also respect Hatchetforce's opinion.

This issue has been clearly resolved and nothing much is left to debate about.

I request the Admins to lock this thread because this one may give rise to some serious misunderstanding.

GR.net has been the most wonderful place to be in with all the admins and developers playing their part well. Let us all maintain that.

Thank you. :)