Games Radar Preview + HALO DROP Video

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few minor details but impressive details that I noticed.

1. The running and jump animations are looking live-like and I really like how that Ghost m8 infront of you is checking the chute right before jumping

2. The ramp vibrates a little.

3. The sky is nicely clean and blue at high attitude but once on the ground you can see the dirty smogy yellowish air of Mexico City. It´s a very smooth transition as well.

4. You can see at least one other Ghost freefalling.

5. Right after the chute is pulled and the legs swing up, you can see the greenish belts from the parachute around the legs and belly.

Edited by agentkay

The draw distance is absolutely awseome, I really can't recall seeing anything like that, with no building pop up before. Very cool movie.

:grin1:

Download mirror added at Filefront.

Hey Rocky,

I see on your settings below, you've been playing GRAW for 33 hours now, uh...........something you want to tell us???..............:drool:

Maybe its the 360 version......sorry

Cheers!

Fresh

Edited by Freshmixture

Hey Rocky,

I see on your settings below, you've been playing GRAW for 33 hours now, uh...........something you want to tell us???..............:drool:

Cheers!

Fresh

It claims another one. hehe!

*goes back to hiding in shame* :S

WHEW.....I'm not the only one to nibble at the bait yeah?........... :blink:

Fresh

Hey Rocky,

Cheers!

Fresh

Fresh

I just want to know why he has more time on BF2 than GRAW??? :P

Hey Rocky,

Cheers!

Fresh

Fresh

I just want to know why he has more time on BF2 than GRAW??? :P

thats photoshopped Pic :P

Check out this HALO Jump. This is awesome and really shows off the body awareness feature really well. :drool:

Where's the Jumpmaster, on the wings? Tsk Tsk...

lol thats what i was wondering myself... along with the briefing on the way down.

This isnt a halo jump but check it out...

82nd airborne doing what they do.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3...irborne&pl=true

Edited by Prozac360

Check out this HALO Jump. This is awesome and really shows off the body awareness feature really well. :drool:

That is the coolest thing I have seen...

HOOOOOOOLLLLLLLYYYYYYYY CCCCRRRRAAAAPPPPPPPPP!!!!

GRIN IS NOT PLAYING AROUND! Did you see the hands/finger fluttering? The vest?

The immense map?

I got a wood.....lemme breathe for a little bit.

Where's the Jumpmaster, on the wings? Tsk Tsk...

Out of frame possibly? I guess it was one of those gameplay decisions to not have one. :whistle:

Nope. The HALO Jumpmaster gives the commands. Then when the ramp opens, he inspects it and either hinself or the Safety spots for the Release Point. He either leads the jump or stands by to push everyone and then follows. That was a low jump. Seemed like 12.5. He had to spot for ground references for the release. Otherwisw winds at altitude put you in Cancun.

Also you exit together and group in the air. No spread apart exit times. Landing together is more important than one guy hitting the target. I have only done this over a thousand times. But hey, help WAS offered.

That is the coolest thing I have seen...

HOOOOOOOLLLLLLLYYYYYYYY CCCCRRRRAAAAPPPPPPPPP!!!!

GRIN IS NOT PLAYING AROUND! Did you see the hands/finger fluttering? The vest?

The immense map?

I got a wood.....lemme breathe for a little bit.

The quotes above explain it all............. :rofl:

Fresh

:)  Well, it was still impressive for those of us that do not have the real world experience...

It is a shame that it turns out to be realistically incorrect however...  :(

This is 2013, they are the Ghosts, they have cross com, what is reality in 2013?

Only speculation, only a few played the game and I hear the word "shame" very often about such little things in the game (the XM8, the Abrams, the colors, the Aloe plant physics, ... :wall:). We should wait until we get the game or the demo before complaining about things we only know from screens or videos. :grin1:

:)  Well, it was still impressive for those of us that do not have the real world experience...

It is a shame that it turns out to be realistically incorrect however...   :(

This is 2013, they are the Ghosts, they have cross com, what is reality in 2013?

Only speculation, only a few played the game and I hear the word "shame" very often about such little things in the game (the XM8, the Abrams, the colors, the Aloe plant physics, ... :wall:). We should wait until we get the game or the demo before complaining about things we only know from screens or videos. :grin1:

When it comes to the game you have to take the good with the bad as regards critiques. In 8 years you are just not going to see a change in a procedure that has been in place for over 60 years. It has not changed because it works. Also there is the fact you pattern a target when you drive a chute and run either a right hand or left hand pattern. Even civilian skydivers do this.

The Jumpmaster moves to the rear first of all to give his commands. You are also getting physical indicators. We have com systems but when you are jumping from a high performance aircraft you do not rely on electronic communications that are taking place inside a flying magnetic field. You give hand and arm signals. Systems fail and men's lives are at risk.

The Jumpmaster is also checks the area at the edge and side of the ramps to make sure there are no safety hazards. Accidents have happened because of an issue such as this before.

At 12,500 feet where there is less room to recover from a small aircraft track error than at 25,000 feet in a HAHO jump, minute calculations matter. The Release Point is calculated and the Jumpmaster actually tells the pilot where the aircraft needs to fly in order to allow men to get out upwind and on track. Otherwise you are screwed. As the aircraft flies, the safety (another HALO jumpmaster) or the Jumpmaster are checking ground reference points by looking out the door or off the side of the ramp. They are making sure the aircraft is flying on track. Blind drops have been done before and they do not work. In 1985 I did one from a Combat Talon and we came down 8 klicks off of target. We have a saying, "The World is our Drop Zone." But that is because you have to come down sooner or later, it just may not be pleasant trying to dodge power lines and hit a small street when your Release Point is improper.

As I said before, you jump together and group together in the air. You wave off and pull and then get in what we call a stack. Even at very low altitudes you line up with the lowest man up front. He sets the traffic pattern. This is just one reason why everyone on the Team has to be well briefed about the target. You can't always bet who the low man will be but we usually have a couple of guys that go into their pull sequence a few hundred feet later so they can set the pattern. Then you stack up and follow those guys down as they set a box pattern that looks like a square bottom letter 'J'.

It is a shame that it turns out to be realistically incorrect however...  :(

When it comes to the game you have to take the good with the bad as regards critiques. In 8 years you are just not going to see a change in a procedure that has been in place for over 60 years. It has not changed because it works. Also there is the fact you pattern a target when you drive a chute and run either a right hand or left hand pattern. Even civilian skydivers do this.

The Jumpmaster moves to the rear first of all to give his commands. You are also getting physical indicators. We have com systems but when you are jumping from a high performance aircraft you do not rely on electronic communications that are taking place inside a flying magnetic field. You give hand and arm signals. Systems fail and men's lives are at risk.

The Jumpmaster is also checks the area at the edge and side of the ramps to make sure there are no safety hazards. Accidents have happened because of an issue such as this before.

At 12,500 feet where there is less room to recover from a small aircraft track error than at 25,000 feet in a HAHO jump, minute calculations matter. The Release Point is calculated and the Jumpmaster actually tells the pilot where the aircraft needs to fly in order to allow men to get out upwind and on track. Otherwise you are screwed. As the aircraft flies, the safety (another HALO jumpmaster) or the Jumpmaster are checking ground reference points by looking out the door or off the side of the ramp. They are making sure the aircraft is flying on track. Blind drops have been done before and they do not work. In 1985 I did one from a Combat Talon and we came down 8 klicks off of target. We have a saying, "The World is our Drop Zone." But that is because you have to come down sooner or later, it just may not be pleasant trying to dodge power lines and hit a small street when your Release Point is improper.

As I said before, you jump together and group together in the air. You wave off and pull and then get in what we call a stack. Even at very low altitudes you line up with the lowest man up front. He sets the traffic pattern. This is just one reason why everyone on the Team has to be well briefed about the target. You can't always bet who the low man will be but we usually have a couple of guys that go into their pull sequence a few hundred feet later so they can set the pattern. Then you stack up and follow those guys down as they set a box pattern that looks like a square bottom letter 'J'.

I'm not into sky diving and I think the jumpmaster can give commands through cross com in future. I mainly wrote about the "shame" wording and complaining before playing the game.

LOL ... great intro to game but was a little bit calm with when responding/talking back to crosscom while hurtling toward the ground as if he was walking along.

Also would you realy be able to concentrate in that cross-com or hear it that well while diving?

Aaah, its a game and not the main point of the whole thing, nice eye candy though.

Hmm...some people still don't get it, its still just a game ;) If everything was to be as in real life it would be no fun to play...Great work by GRIN to make it good and realistic, but not to realistic :) They have some artistic freedom in their work...

I'm not into sky diving and I think the jumpmaster can give commands through cross com in future. I mainly wrote about the "shame" wording and complaining before playing the game.

No. No Jump Commands through coms. It really isn't a subject for debate. Anyone that has done this for a day understands why it isn't done now and won't be for 50 years. If you can't accept that something for which you have been waiting may have some errors in it then the conversation is pointless. It isn't like finding out that your sports idol does crack.

It is a game. But you are being one sided. So much has been made about the accuracy in this title - plenty of people have even decided to use the 360 as a whipping boy to demonstrate their misguided beliefs. Espousing positive ideas about realism is great but you shouldn't demonstrate reluctance the first time a counterpoint to all of that surfaces. You either want to talk about a title before release or you do not. Splitting hairs to only discuss the good is a little hypocritical. And it is a feature we have now seen.

Am I nuts or is the image distorted due to the explosion's shockwave? (notice distorted lampposts)  :shifty:

Mhm...Shockwave and heat would be distorting the image...

As for the coms while jumping, this has been used several times already. Example is people doing speed skydiving use coms. So they use it...

EDIT: Is the HALO sequence interactive or just an intro?

Edited by CiASpook

Am I nuts or is the image distorted due to the explosion's shockwave? (notice distorted lampposts)  :shifty:

As for the coms while jumping, this has been used several times already. Example is people doing speed skydiving use coms. So they use it...

Skydiving is a lot different than a precision high risk military operation. Look, you can live in pretend land if you want. An error was made in the game. I am not out to hammer the title. It was something I actually made a side comment about. But if people want to believe things do not work the way they really do then they can have at it. I have been jumping my entire career. I also have the foresight to see where technology is going and jumping without a Jumpmaster doing his job at the ramp, giving hand and arm signals, just isn't one of them.

Skydiving is a lot different than a precision high risk military operation. Look, you can live in pretend land if you want. An error was made in the game. I am not out to hammer the title. It was something I actually made a side comment about. But if people want to believe things do not work the way they really do then they can have at it. I have been jumping my entire career. I also have the foresight to see where technology is going and jumping without a Jumpmaster doing his job at the ramp, giving hand and arm signals, just isn't one of them.

I wasn't saying that it is in military use. I just pointed out that it is in use, nothing else. I know the military ways of doing things, and they will not implement coms in skydiving as long as there is no need for it and its not 110% safe and tested up the wazzo. So no disrespect :) I know what you are saying is true, I just pointed out something else :)

I wasn't saying that it is in military use. I just pointed out that it is in use, nothing else. I know the military ways of doing things, and they will not implement coms in skydiving as long as there is no need for it and its not 110% safe and tested up the wazzo. So no disrespect :) I know what you are saying is true, I just pointed out something else :)

It's all good. Besides, we all know that most people are not getting the title for the cutscenes. :thumbsup: Personally I am not getting it for the game either, but rather the mods that follow.