1up Preview

What about this?:

My poor english doesn't help....

The customization of weapons with silencers, grenade launchers, and grips -- like the control scheme -- lets you minimize the impact of the idiocy of the Ghosts and maximize their utility.

Meaning.

Weapons used may be limited but are all relevent to the situation that the Ghosts face in Mexico.

You would not take 60 different type of weapons when 6 or 10 will do the same job.

The balance and customisation is just perfect.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While downloading the video, I noticed something.

Did someone else notice the DOF (depth of field) in the background in this shot?

http://www.1up.com/do/slideshow?pager.offs...558&mId=2818950

Bo, can you confirm that Diesel 6.0/GRAW supports DOF?

There was disscussion about this a while back, i thought it was anisotropic filtering but Bo said that was kindergarten, maybe it's dof than?

Yearh, I remember that conversation, I was therefor hoping that Bo could confirm the DOF since its quite evident in the shot. (unless its some pixelshader trick that makes a DOF-like effect)

Yepp confirmed.

Thanks Bo, thats cool. I can really only come up with 1-2 games for the pc, that has had DOF (simulated DOF). I foresee DOF being used more and more in the future because it looks so good, so its cool that you guys pioneer it. :grin1:

Bo, this is slightly off-topic but after a huge success of GRAW PC (yes I´m knocking on wood ;) ), are you planning to licence your engine to other devs? Your engine seems to be very impressive and supports every "next-gen" feature. The only one I didn´t see in GRAW is motion blur but I´m sure with your skills (the whole GRIN team) you could add that one if you wanted to. It would be interesting to hear what you guys are planning for the future. :)

-The recoil with the MR-C in full auto and while standing is quite obvious and realistic.

Yes . I also noticed that short bursts allowes you to control your rifle but when you use fullauto longer than 1.5 sec your gun goes up drastically. I like that very much :grin1:

yes thats what I thought too. When you fire more than 3 rounds the weapon show such a realistic recoil

I love it :o=

Edited by BigSM

What about this?:

The customization of weapons with silencers, grenade launchers, and grips -- like the control scheme -- lets you minimize the impact of the idiocy of the Ghosts and maximize their utility.

Meaning.

Weapons used may be limited but are all relevent to the situation that the Ghosts face in Mexico.

You would not take 60 different type of weapons when 6 or 10 will do the same job.

I was talking about the bold part, 'idiocy of the Ghosts' ;) . Does they mean that friend AI was not so good?

What about this?:

Meaning.

I was talking about the bold part, 'idiocy of the Ghosts' ;) . Does they mean that friend AI was not so good?

After a hands-on session with the first five single-player missions of their latest game, we think that the Ghosts deep, inherent stupidity may not be a single-player game killer anymore.

Meaning: No more stupid AI like in the other versions.

After a hands-on session with the first five single-player missions of their latest game, we think that the Ghosts deep, inherent stupidity may not be a single-player game killer anymore.

Meaning:  No more stupid AI like in the other versions.

Don't tell me you had any doubts! ;)

It sounds like they are saying the AI are morons but it doesn't matter because of the tactical control. That's the impression I got from the article. If they meant what Agentkay believed them to mean, then either I need to learn how to read, or they need to learn how to write.

I think they need to learn how to write. Just watch the video. The way your team handles itself is amazing. Especially at the beginning when you have that one teammate going up the slope, slowly pushing the enemy.

You guys notice he lost a teammate? What a noob :devil::P

Personal likes about the video:

- The way your teammate AI goes up the slope and slowly moves up as he is suppresing the enemy and then stands up and continues towards him

- The dust flying off walls is pretty amazing.

- The recoil of the weapon is very realistic. You can't just use full auto, you gotta use controlled bursts.

- Haha.. remind me to NOT hide behind a flower pot when I'm playing.\

- "Aqui Estoy," screams an enemy rebel. Means Here I am. A taunt at the player.

- OMG The fuild movement of the AI is so human-like.

- The full screen teammate view is pretty cool. Watch how the player had a peek on the armor and when he switched to his teammates he could see himself peeking still.

- Amazing sound

- Notice how they are being shot at during the Heli insertion and once on the ground the player gets blown up a by a greande. hahaha

- From the looks of it guys, we are no longer going to be inserted in a battlefield where the enemy probably doesn't know we're there until they start dying. It's hostile even before we set foot on the ground.

Edited by Lethal.Ambition

Meaning:  No more stupid AI like in the other versions.

Don't tell me you had any doubts! ;)

Me? No chance! :rofl: I´ve been a GRIN/GRAW PC fanboy ever since I saw their commitment and dedication and ambition both with the game AND the community. ;)

I was just responding to =3dS=rOOk who might have misunderstood the 1up article.

Edited by agentkay

I like the new screen at 1up!, the first one in the preview. Nice view out the bird.

The video showed some gameplay, but showed what can be interacted with in the enviornment. Notice that they shot the pot and it broke. When shooting at the wall, pits and pieces flew off the wall and you could hear the ricochets.

Impressive GRIN, very impressive. :grin1:

What about this?:

Meaning.

I'm "a bit" biased but I would say he is not putting the AI on the PC down. But I could be wrong. If you look at the other previews and the guys who played it here it should be quite obvious that the AI is top notch. (OR we bribed everyone and now have to live in a shack.)

Take my word for it the AIs are self aware killers that will put you down hard.

Right off the bat the lighting looks wonderful. Not only the shadows and stuff but there is a quality to the lighting, don’t really know what it is but I think there is some technology being applied here to make it look great. A rich feeling to it.

I personally want the option to totally turn off the wire frame cross com and the info under it. I just don’t want it. I have to say though the way the cross com zooms to full screen then blends out of wire frame is supremely nice looking.

The screen on the right I’m sorry to say is ridiculous. In the middle of a fire fight when some pilot or general has something to tell me why the hell do I need a screen to come up showing his face. Totally unnecessary and a visual distraction from battle. I just pray that I can disable that though it’s not so big a deal as sp action is for me just something to do when there is not much mp going on online.

The bottom left and right HUD icons for stance, gun etc are nice and minimal, but I don’t much like the slanting angle.

Sorry to be ignorant on new gun models so I don’t know what the name of that famas looking hybrid is at the start but I don’t get the scope/sight. It doesn’t zoom in and give you better targeting so why have all that framing blocking a lot of your vision. You just get the red dot which is nice but I’d rather have regular iron sights and a more clear view. Of course I’m talking about guns here not the game cause the game just show the guns the way they are.

I guess it’s poetic licence but I’m not sure why when it goes to tac map over head view the audio sounds distant. Your view is the view of the drone but you would still hear the loudness of the gun battles near you wouldn’t you?

Man oh man the audio is great. The ricochet of rounds on the walls etc sounds cool, but more than that. I always lamented in GR1 how the psychological impact of suppressive wasn’t a factor. In GRAW though when someone gets a hailstorm of zings around them they might think twice about sticking their heads out. Can’t wait to try that out with the saw in mp and see what results I get.

The sprint speed etc seem perfect to me.

The tracers are also perfect (for those who want them in). Not showy at all.

The ret is a bit odd. It’s very small. I can dig that but why make it so detailed. It’s so small that it just appears to be a opaque or clouded circle. If you are gonna have it too small to make out the design of the image then you might as well not have a design, Just make it a dot or a clear circle.

The way and amount of gun jerk is great. It’s gonna take some discipline and short bursts to be effective with our fire.

The vehicle explosion and fire effect is just great. Far far better than the other versions mini nuke design.

Oh don’t get me started on the dust zings from the wall when he shoots it. Fantastic, more visual effects that will make suppressive fire a real factor for once.

That clay pot he smashes with one pistol round is a bit . . er it clashes with the part of the brain that calculates an estimation of what the effect probably would be. Those things are thick and heavy and probably wouldn’t even break at that size.

I know it’s an early build so maybe this is not a factor but when he runs towards the big palm tree it’ seems to adjust it’s texture quality or something at every step. That could be distracting.

A single pistol shot through the palm fronds shakes the whole tree. It would either pass through being so small and fast with only localized quivering or have minimal bransh shakage. Then a grenade blast just near by doesn’t shake it at all.

I have to say that even though I like the look of the weapons and I’m very happy to have weapon view which I missed in GR1, I feel the surface textures of the weapons are a little dull and muddy. I don’t get a metallic feel or even a ceramic one or whatever they are made off. It’s got a real ‘drawing’ feel to it. Maybe this is because the vids are not full res though.

I’ve just written all this chronologically so it’s a but here and there.

All in call the vid is great and shows that GRAW PC is looking like a real worthy successor to GR1.

If you don’t like some of my comments then please give a good counter point rather than having a go at the fact that I have that opinion. Let’s keep it about the points eh.

Look forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts on my observations.

Edited by Poita

Right off the bat the lighting looks wonderful. Not only the shadows and stuff but there is a quality to the lighting, don’t really know what it is but I think there is some technology being applied here to make it look great. A rich feeling to it.

I personally want the option to totally turn off the wire frame cross com and the info under it. I just don’t want it. I have to say though the way the cross com zooms to full screen then blends out of wire frame is supremely nice looking.

The screen on the right I’m sorry to say is ridiculous. In the middle of a fire fight when some pilot or general has something to tell me why the hell do I need a screen to come up showing his face. Totally unnecessary and a visual distraction from battle. I just pray that I can disable that though it’s not so big a deal as sp action is for me just something to do when there is not much mp going on online.

The bottom left and right HUD icons for stance, gun etc are nice and minimal, but I don’t much like the slanting angle.

Sorry to be ignorant on new gun models so I don’t know what the name of that famas looking hybrid is at the start but I don’t get the scope/sight. It doesn’t zoom in and give you better targeting so why have all that framing blocking a lot of your vision. You just get the red dot which is nice but I’d rather have regular iron sights and a more clear view. Of course I’m talking about guns here not the game cause the game just show the guns the way they are.

I guess it’s poetic licence but I’m not sure why when it goes to tac map over head view the audio sounds distant. Your view is the view of the drone but you would still hear the loudness of the gun battles near you wouldn’t you?

Man oh man the audio is great. The ricochet of rounds on the walls etc sounds cool, but more than that. I always lamented in GR1 how the psychological impact of suppressive wasn’t a factor. In GRAW though when someone gets a hailstorm of zings around them they might think twice about sticking their heads out. Can’t wait to try that out with the saw in mp and see what results I get.

The sprint speed etc seem perfect to me.

The tracers are also perfect (for those who want them in). Not showy at all.

The ret is a bit odd. It’s very small. I can dig that but why make it so detailed. It’s so small that it just appears to be a opaque or clouded circle. If you are gonna have it too small to make out the design of the image then you might as well not have a design, Just make it a dot or a clear circle.

The way and amount of gun jerk is great. It’s gonna take some discipline and short bursts to be effective with our fire.

The vehicle explosion and fire effect is just great. Far far better than the other versions mini nuke design.

Oh don’t get me started on the dust zings from the wall when he shoots it. Fantastic, more visual effects that will make suppressive fire a real factor for once.

That clay pot he smashes with one pistol round is a bit . . er it clashes with the part of the brain that calculates an estimation of what the effect probably would be. Those things are thick and heavy and probably wouldn’t even break at that size.

I know it’s an early build so maybe this is not a factor but when he runs towards the big palm tree it’ seems to adjust it’s texture quality or something at every step. That could be distracting.

A single pistol shot through the palm fronds shakes the whole tree. It would either pass through being so small and fast with only localized quivering or have minimal bransh shakage. Then a grenade blast just near by doesn’t shake it at all.

I have to say that even though I like the look of the weapons and I’m very happy to have weapon view which I missed in GR1, I feel the surface textures of the weapons are a little dull and muddy. I don’t get a metallic feel or even a ceramic one or whatever they are made off. It’s got a real ‘drawing’ feel to it. Maybe this is because the vids are not full res though.

I’ve just written all this chronologically so it’s a but here and there.

All in call the vid is great and shows that GRAW PC is looking like a real worthy successor to GR1.

If you don’t like some of my comments then please give a good counter point rather than having a go at the fact that I have that opinion. Let’s keep it about the points eh.

Look forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts on my observations.

Textures, and Models, who gives a poo? no game is perfect, but i do agree with you in several points, and i dont care about Palm tree anyway :rocky:

Edited by capteenix

nice first two replies. One states dissagreement with some points but doesn't actually discuss them and instead cut and pastes my whole post which is right above anyway.

The otherone makes an underhand sarcastic personal attack rather than discussing any of the points.

I did make an appeal to stick to the points i was making. Oh well, i guess it was too much to hope for.