Obsidian Edge 2 Officially Announced

Suli

• 1 month later...

Hi all, double update for you here as it looks like you dropped off my spam list for our last interview!

That was with EA Games German Community Manager for Crysis and the English Version can be found here

(click dumpster):

Jan_update_wip2.jpg.jpg

With our previous interviews linked here:

Evogaming Crysis Online

Also a little late, we have released our News Update for January, which amongst other things includes a review of who is on the team, some wip media releases and presents one of our new game types: Defiance

kbarfinal.jpg.jpgbuilding_06.jpg.jpg

Updates:Oct Dec Jan

Cheers

CuZ

I don't think the dumpster's worth showing, it looks awkward and low quality compared to Pro's knife and Stefan's building.

Otherwise, keep up the good work, guys.

Well Sup, I guess you had best close your eyes if ever you use it for cover...

Mind you it looks big enough for a body....

How tall are you again? ;)

Seriously, Im no judge of models, I leave that to the experts, but I must say that I thought that the photo realism and humour in that particular set were spot on.

OESIG.jpg

What exactly didnt you like so that I can pass the comments on to the artist, I know constructive critiques inspire him.

That render you posted of the cardboard box looks excellent, I'm suprised they're the same artist.

Maybe I'm too used to small resolutions and sharp colors, but the dumpster texture just looks muddy and awkward. The wear seems unusually universal and blurry, the diffuse seems to suffer from an utter lack of shading or faked AO, and the various photo overlays and details seem to be fighting eachother and distracting from the overall piece. Just looks rushed and bad to me, I guess. Maybe it's the render. :blink:

Sometimes I'm glad I can't model - so I can just look at the work the Polishing Weevils are doing and think "Gee, their work looks good - can't wait to see it released". Hopefully this time, we'll see the crowds that should have been there for OE1.

Having said that, I know by the dedication of these guys that OE2 is going to way ahead of OE1.

Really looking forward to it - if anything will pull me back into Team v Team battles I would say it will be OE2.

Sometimes I'm glad I can't model - so I can just look at the work the Polishing Weevils are doing and think "Gee, their work looks good - can't wait to see it released". Hopefully this time, we'll see the crowds that should have been there for OE1.

Having said that, I know by the dedication of these guys that OE2 is going to way ahead of OE1.

Really looking forward to it - if anything will pull me back into Team v Team battles I would say it will be OE2.

LOL

Hi Lighty its been a while!

There is something to be said for knowing when not to comment, I tend to keep my own council unless I know exactly what I am talking about. Or if I dont know I might ask, so I can learn! It saves looking like this :blush:

:lol:

Glad you are enjoying what has been done so far, dont forget, we havent relased any of our CryEngine2 work yet, but hope to in the next couple of months. That really does make these scenes come alive! :thumbsup:

Sup, thanks for the clarifications, I passed them onto the artist; Stefan Morrell, hopefully his explainations wont get too lost in my translation 0:) and you can better understand what you are looking at :rocky:

the diffuse seems to suffer from an utter lack of shading or faked AO,

It's rendered in 3DSMax with real ambient occlusion(AO).. No fake AO involved.

and the various photo overlays and details seem to be fighting eachother and distracting from the overall piece. Just looks rushed and bad to me

They're not overlays, it's a real photo of a real dumpster converted to a useable texture map.

------------

IMO that resulted in a carefully crafted model, with photo realistic texture... :unsure:

I guess you just didnt like the way they decorate their dumpsters in New Zealand! :hehe:

But as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, at least you liked the buildings! w00t

Hmm Damage model = multiple hits... Question... what if you are shot in the face? will you drop with one shot?

I don't mind not being killed because of armor plates and getting spun around a bit... but a face shot is a face shot... and if that were not to lead to an instant death you may have a lot of unhappy snipers.

LOL the snipers were the best class in OE1, we gave them a Barrett M82A1 Sniper Rifle. I think its 50 cal?

One shot anywhere=dead from trauma!

I need to check up on our models list to see what we are giving them this time, but rest assured, when we say damage model we are thinking in terms of this process:

What hit me?

Where did it hit me?

What does that mean initially?

What are the long term consequences?

We are still working with the fidelity of the new engine to see how localised we can make the impact eg helmet or face, but where posible, we will try to keep it realistic

LOL the snipers were the best class in OE1, we gave them a Barrett M82A1 Sniper Rifle. I think its 50 cal?

I need to check up on our models list to see what we are giving them this time, but rest assured, when we say damage model we are thinking in terms of this process:

What hit me?

Where did it hit me?

We are still working with the fidelity of the new engine to see how localised we can make the impact eg helmet or face, but where posible, we will try to keep it realistic

you forgot one thing:

OUCH!!!!!!..............

What hit me?

Where did it hit me?

you forgot one thing:

OUCH!!!!!!..............

w00t:rocky:w00t

Heh heh... I was talking of the process in the code, the how we give you the ouch will be implemented at the third step...

For me its the classic payback for the RL user...

Just as they fire, you hit them...

The bullet spins them around so they are now aiming at their own feet....

Boom... Ouchx2 :devil:

What hit me?

Where did it hit me?

So you can kill with 1 shot then....

by ruggs post it almost seemed like you couldn't. It's good to confirm it.

Ah, dont get me wrong, I was talking about how it works in OE1.

The reason for that btw was look at what the Barrett can do:

http://www.biggerhammer.net/barrett/video/

As I say, we are still working with the engines fidelity regarding the damage model.

If at all possible, it will be realistic. As we get closer to release we will be able to confirm what we have done... :)

That dumpster was Stefan's work? I trust his judgment on how the whole thing will look ingame, but I still stand by my assessment that the asset looks so-so at best.

When I said faked AO I wasn't talking about the render. I want to see more shading in the diffuse, is all.

• 3 weeks later...

You need to login.

There is a clue there Lighty ;)

Its weird actually, we are trying to pin down why that happens as the Q&A isnt restricted access, in the mean time you can get to it from our front page without registration...

Where, as it happens, you can find our long awaited exclusive interview with Crytek. w00t

DSC_4306_tn.JPG

Want to build a mod for Crysis? The interview tells you the essentials you need to know ahead of the SDKs release!

www.ObsidianEdge.net

I was registered there a while back, but it seems I am no longer registered. Not my fault.

Huh? PM me your details and I will check on it... cant be having good supporters not having access! :wall:

No comments on either of the interviews guys?

Keep up the great work on OE2 you guys, i seen some footage of the cryengine2 & it is amazing, the physics are stunning this is a true next gen game engine.

So i would like to say thanks to Crytek & the OE2 team for my renewed faith in pc gaming

ave a gooden lads, over & out.