Who here intends to play LAN at home?

One of the things I enjoyed about GR1 was the ease of which you could set up a small LAN game at home (or in the office!) for you and your mates...

I read the latest news about multiplayer aspects of GR:AW but can't quite get my head around whether this ease to set up your own server will still be available (I *think* it will).

Does anyone else here like to set up small LANs between your mates at home ~ and how do you read the latest news - will this be a supported feature?

One of the things I enjoyed about GR1 was the ease of which you could set up a small LAN game at home (or in the office!) for you and your mates...

I read the latest news about multiplayer aspects of GR:AW but can't quite get my head around whether this ease to set up your own server will still be available (I *think* it will).

Does anyone else here like to set up small LANs between your mates at home ~ and how do you read the latest news - will this be a supported feature?

The person with the best PC can host a game right? You don't need to setup a dedicated at work.

I used to have little LAN's and having people over from germany or from the north of netherlands. But we usually just played GR over internet then, if you play 2no2-4on4 it's not that exciting. (Multiplayer, Hamburger Hill)

COOP is different i guess, especially on LAN

I used to have little LAN's and having people over from germany or from the north of netherlands. But we usually just played GR over internet then, if you play 2no2-4on4 it's not that exciting. (Multiplayer, Hamburger Hill)

...Yeah - we mainly played the Co-Op - but did enjoy little shoot-outs at 'The Castle'!

...Yeah - we mainly played the Co-Op - but did enjoy little shoot-outs at 'The Castle'!

By the way - has there already been a poll like:

"How will you primarily be playing GRAW?"

( ) SP

( ) MP

( ) COOP

If not, this might be interesting.

Oh and I am a COOP guy myself by the way.

;) Mike

To answer your question about liking or not to set up a small Lan play at home, YES ... definetely. Castle map was a nice map which I really enjoyed playing with my friends. I'm hoping to see a Direct IP play so you can host a server and play with your friends without having to connect to another server first (like it is the case of R6:Lockdown) ...

I definately enjoyed the LAN play -- My brother and I coop'ed all of the missions and later went on to player created missions in the later days [GR] when some of the really detailed coop missions started coming out. That was some massive fun, and I hope to do the same for GRAW. Unfortunately, my bro and I don't room anymore, so we'll have to play over the VPN we've set up between our appartments.

I have said this before and I will say it again, not having dedicated server files will not kill a game. There are many games out there (and old ones too) that are played every day that did not included dedicated server files does not keep someone from setting up a dedicated server. A clan may have to chip in to buy another copy for the server, but it will not break them.

When the GR demo came out, I hosted a 12 hour game with it, I didn't need to set up a dedicated server. Matter of fact, most of the time I spent playing GR was on my own hosted server (White's Knightmare) that people from all over would join, from this forum no less. The same can be done for a LAN, one player can host and the others join in, no need to access a dedicated server somewhere that is actually connected to via the internet and not the LAN.

For the record, GRIN has stated that they will try to add a dedicated server function at a later date.

I am hoping the "non dedicated server" will support an auto timer or a "dedicated" mode.  We leave our server up 24 hours a day... if i left myself logged in all day the game wouldn't start without the above.

Hopefully it will as GR1 had that feature and I used it myself while cooking dinner a time or 2.