I want my eyecandy but can I have it?

daztrek

Ok people I like my eyecandy and want ghost recon AW to look at its best. Naturaly im gona put the settings to max. 1280 x 1024,32bit.

Now we all see the required specs but just like F.E.A.R my specs ran realy bad with it. How forgiving do you think the engine will be for GRAW?

My pc specs:

DFI lan party UT.

120gig barracuda IV sata.

Tagan 480w psu

2 X 512 CRUCIAL 3200.

3700+ San diego @2.8gig (WC)

ATI x800xt, 256 (WC)

SB Audigy plat.

Im looking at memory or GFX card but dont see how I should have to upgrade my gfx card being ive only just upgraded to this.

You have only just upgraded which is fair enough, but to be frank you have upgraded to what is now (at best) a midrange graphics card. To run this game with all the bells and whistles BO has already stated that you will need a 512mb card.

An ATI X1900 series or NVidia 7900 series should be able to run it at more than acceptable levels.

Im looking at memory or GFX card but dont see how I should have to upgrade my gfx card being ive only just upgraded to this.

Yeah... You could have JUST upgraded to a 500Mhz Intel with 128MB of RAM and an 8MB video card.... Doesn't mean it's the latest and greatest hardware.

I don't mean to be ignorant or anything. But that's how it is with today's hardware.

I just got my x1900XTX and it should rock GR:AW :)

I would suggest an x1900XTX or a 7900GTX (not the GT version, it's only 256MB).

CPU is fine, and if you could, get 2x1GB sticks of PC3200 RAM.

And if you upgrade to an x1900XTX or 7900GTX, you will have to get a new power supply.

One with 30A on the +12v rail is required for the x1900XTX.

I learned that the hard way, and I'm still waiting for my PSU to come. (It's torture, having this card sit here doing nothing for over a week lol :wall: )

No one should pay the extra money for a 1900XTX. The 1900XT is an identical card with slightly lower clocks. It can be overclocked to XTX clocks without difficulty.

Absolutely. Proc is more than fine. Memory -- a 2GB kit can be purchased for under $200 in the U.S.

And if you upgrade to an x1900XTX or 7900GTX, you will have to get a new power supply.

He may or may not need a new PSU.

He's got the watts -- ATI recommends 450. And as far as the amps go - 30 on the 12v rail - that's for single-rail setups. His has dual 12V rails with 20A per rail, and that's actually extremely high.

Thus, whether or not he would need a new PSU would hinge on the manufacturer -- Tagan -- which is a company that I don't know anything about. His PSU is close to the minimum at 480W, so if Tagan is a company that produces junky PSU's that only look good because of high rated specs that the PSU can't actually maintain, he would need a new one.

The spec themselves, however, are enough for an ATI 1900 series card.

For the record, I recommend Enermax, OCZ, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic. Also, anyone buying a new PSU should definitely get one with dual 12V rails.

Yeah... You could have JUST upgraded to a 500Mhz Intel with 128MB of RAM and an 8MB video card.... Doesn't mean it's the latest and greatest hardware.

I don't mean to be ignorant or anything. But that's how it is with today's hardware.

I just got my x1900XTX and it should rock GR:AW :)

I learned that the hard way, and I'm still waiting for my PSU to come. (It's torture, having this card sit here doing nothing for over a week lol :wall: )

I hear what your saying guys but I cant afford to keep upgrading ever time a few new game comes out. It seems a gfx cards life expired very fast.

As regarding the 500mhz intell exsample when I upgraded which was less than 6 months ago my pc spec was at the high end of the scale. Im not a person mind you that awaits for the release date and gets a new one the very day it comes out.

It seems the gfx cards are not far enougth ahead to enable you to get a good 2-3 years out of it. It seems that from DX9 is where this started going silly.

On the older generation GFX cards like dx7-8 you could have the card in your pc for a good 2 years and could play all games.

I got the Nvidia 5950fx reviews everywhere showing its speed and quality. That cost me £277 lasted me 3 months till I noticed most games can only play at 1024 x 768 no AA ,AF still ahd no choice in keeping it. I got the ATI 9800 XT again was a good jump cost over £300 lasted me 1 year till games pushed it too hard. This card X800XT only about 6 months its truly gutting. How long till the X1900XT is outdated and games are pushing it to its limits? Hell should I just go for a SLI setup and have be done with it?

In the UK the prices are way way over the top.

Thanks for your honnest replys.

Your card is fine, don´t upgrade until the DX10 cards hit the market.  The only sacrifize you might have to make is the highest texture detail setting and "maybe" dynamic HDR which most likely requires a video card that supports Pixelshader 3.0.

Im happy to play it at 1280 x 1024 with highest on most settings but Il never play a game with mouse lag theres no point. Some game engines look nice yet play so smooth. The BF1942 looks fantastic at 1600x 1280 full bots and settings.

I have found that ATI can play at low frame rates and dont feel it like the other Nvidia cards at the same frame rate.

You know what its like though when you get into the gfx settings you cant help but wack everythink up full just to see. :(

Im happy to play it at 1280 x 1024 with highest on most settings but Il never play a  game with mouse lag theres no point.

That card will not run GR:AW at 1280x1024 on high settings.

Also, 2GB of RAM over 1GB will help your computer avoid framerate drops in resource intensive games.

Your card is fine, don´t upgrade until the DX10 cards hit the market.  The only sacrifize you might have to make is the highest texture detail setting and "maybe" dynamic HDR which most likely requires a video card that supports Pixelshader 3.0.

Im happy to play it at 1280 x 1024 with highest on most settings but Il never play a game with mouse lag theres no point. Some game engines look nice yet play so smooth. The BF1942 looks fantastic at 1600x 1280 full bots and settings.

I have found that ATI can play at low frame rates and dont feel it like the other Nvidia cards at the same frame rate.

You know what its like though when you get into the gfx settings you cant help but wack everythink up full just to see. :(

I think you´ll be able to play it at 1280. What setting exactly you´ll be able to pull off is almost impossible to answer unless one of the devs decides to break their NDA which I don´t think will happen. ;) The game and demo can´t be far away, maybe it will go gold this week or maybe next, but its not far away, I can almost smell it. :D Just be patient and try out the demo and what settings you can pull off there. Thats really your best option unless you have a bag of money, then you can go ahead and buy the fastest video card on the market right now. ;)

Nvidia has a hidden (can be enabled by Coolbits) D3D setting "max frames to render ahead" which is normally set to "3", but some games, like for instance Oblivion need that value to be lower, or even set to "0" to get rid of any mouse lags. I never used ATI cards because I was always happy with the green team (yes I didn´t buy a 5series card :P ) and honestly, both sides have their issues, let it be blocky shadows or weird visual issues (texture flashing, rendering issues) on ATI, or shimmering, lower quality AF on Nvidia. These problems should belong to the past once Vista and DX10 hits the market, due to the stricter rendering rules and driver certifications. :) And finally, buy whatever you think is best for you, its your money after all. ;)

Edited by agentkay

TBH my friend, people will happily recommend this product or that product, spout all kinds of figures they have read and tell you that you can tweak this and tweak that. When it comes down to it we will always be playing hardware catchup, it's the nature of the beast. If we don't want to play we can always jump ship to the Console side :starwars:

To answer your original question again, your not gonna play GR:AW @ 1280 x 1024 with everything set on max with your current card. Whether you can play it at an acceptable level without another upgrade is entirely down to you when you actually play the game.

Tagan PSUs are good, very efficient.

Tagan make quality psu, never had a problem with them. I'm using a 530 easycon series, does the trick. Then again i have used one of those cheap QTEC psu's in a a8v dlx, amd64 3400+, 1gbyte 3200XLPRO, 6800gt, 10k rpm hdd etc, not a problem, ran like a hot knife through butter, lol. I only upgraded because of the hype, ###### got sucked innit.

Seeings you guys are on the topic. This is what I am thinking of buying ...

PROCESSOR:

AMD ATHLON 64 3700+ Retail Box 939

MOTHERBOARD:

ASUS A8N32-SLi DELUXE NVIDIA nForce4 True Dual PCI-Ex16 SLI SATA Dual Raid Dual GBLan 8 Ch. Audio

GRAPHICS CARD:

XFX 7900GT EXTREME 256meg DDR3 550MHz Dual DVI TV-Out SLI Ready Model: PV-T71G-UDPR

RAM:

CORSAIR TwinX 512meg x 2(1gig) XMS3200 400mhz Matched Pair

SOUND CARD:

SoundBlaster AUDIGY 2ZS PLATINUM Retail box 24bitSampling, 108db SNR, 7.1

POWERSUPPLY:

ANTEC (USA) 550watt ATX TRUE POWER TRUE CONTROL 2 Fans Gold Plated Connectors P4 Supported

How is this going to run? Any other suggestions for parts or brands? I don't really know anything about computers.

Edited by tonytwotoes

PROCESSOR:

MOTHERBOARD:

ASUS A8N32-SLi DELUXE NVIDIA nForce4 True Dual PCI-Ex16 SLI SATA Dual Raid Dual GBLan 8 Ch. Audio

GRAPHICS CARD:

XFX 7900GT EXTREME 256meg DDR3 550MHz Dual DVI TV-Out SLI Ready Model: PV-T71G-UDPR

RAM:

SOUND CARD:

POWERSUPPLY:

ANTEC (USA) 550watt ATX TRUE POWER TRUE CONTROL 2 Fans Gold Plated Connectors P4 Supported

How is this going to run? Any other suggestions for parts or brands? I don't really know anything about computers.

I can say that the 3700+ is a good chip and well worth the money I got mine at the max of 3 gig stable but it is water cooled.

PROCESSOR:

MOTHERBOARD:

GRAPHICS CARD:

RAM:

SOUND CARD:

POWERSUPPLY:

If you can afford it, get 2GB of memory (2 X 1GByte) with cas latency of 2.

PROCESSOR:

MOTHERBOARD:

GRAPHICS CARD:

RAM:

SOUND CARD:

POWERSUPPLY:

If you can afford it, get 2GB of memory (2 X 1GByte) with cas latency of 2.

I know there is 512mb versions of the 7900gt coming out if they are not already on sale from gainward and another nvidia partner i cant think of at the moment. I know the gainward cards are on overclockers.co.uk so should definately be on sale or getting close to it in america...... :)

You also might want to consider the creative x-fi sound card now that you can pick them up for around 70 pounds..

Respect the GRIN :D

Edited by GhostSniper

RAM:

Today's most demanding games are making good use of 2GB of RAM. With 1GB of RAM, you will occasionally stutter. Even if you have the fastest videocard on the market, if you're CPU & Memory get sucked up by physics/AI for a split second, that's a split second that your videocard isn't receiving data, and your game may stutter. This is only occasionally, and it won't in any way makes the game unplayable, but it's nice if it never happens, so if you can afford the extra GB, get it.