Hollow buildings? No Doors?

Well I was reading the London GRAW interview and the like and they remarked that there would be no doors. Kinda depressing.. I used to spend hours in tactical coop mode with friends doing CQB. Always modding the maps to be harder and a bit more random. Its sad.

So am I to take it all buildings are hollow? Tell me this isnt so. :( There goes rooftop sniping and rpg attacks. sniff...sniff...

One thing it didnt cover, the evil satanic bunny hoppers!!! :devil: This one thing can make or break a game for me. Im planning on modding a no jump zone if I can find a way to do it. Allowing jumping only in zones where needed for entry or exit from a rise or a window for example. If its gonna be like counterstrike aka counter hack..lol.. Ill dump it in with the rest of the wack stuff.:tumbleweed:

Comments... ?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Read more carefully..not all the buildings are hollow, In Each mission map, their is about 5 to 3 percent building access, which I agree with. A map like mexico city? Having even 30% building acess would be hell. To many places to check before moving on, toooo much.

In MP how ever we have no Idea~keep that in mind.

And Modders (map makers) can make their own maps and I have no Idea how to make a map, but I'm assuming you can make your own doors.

Read more carefully..not all the buildings are hollow, In Each mission map, their is about 5 to 3 percent building access, which I agree with. A map like mexico city? Having even 30% building acess would be hell. To many places to check before moving on, toooo much.

In MP how ever we have no Idea~keep that in mind.

And Modders (map makers) can make their own maps and I have no Idea how to make a map, but I'm assuming you can make your own doors.

I'm very sure there will be doors in homemade maps. the BIG question is what will be th e syntax, I read here earlier that GRIN used Maya and 3dsmax..so we'll see.

To be honest I was very surprised when i read that there are no movable doors in GRAW. It is realy hard to find the game without this feature this days :) I dont know if GRAW is going to be a game of the year but it is propably going to be only tac shooter in 2006 without movable doors ;)

PS. Fortunately rest of the preview made me forget about this problem.

Edited by Joseph_Q

You know, the problem is that whenever we hear of something that GRIN is or isnt doing in GRAW we just immagine what GR1 would be like with or without that feature. Without doors GR1 would be... "different" :blink: . But I have confidence that Bo and the boys (and girl(s)?) at GRIN are doing a great job of making a game in which you will never miss the doors. They wont just have a place where there should be one but isnt, they will have the game built with a lack of doors in mind.

You know, the problem is that whenever we hear of something that GRIN is or isnt doing in GRAW we just immagine what GR1 would be like with or without that feature. Without doors GR1 would be... "different" :blink: . But I have confidence that Bo and the boys (and girl(s)?) at GRIN are doing a great job of making a game in which you will never miss the doors. They wont just have a place where there should be one but isnt, they will have the game built with a lack of doors in mind.

I hope You are right but it is hard to imagine urban combat without movable doors :whistle:

Hard for a bunny to hop when it's feet are nailed to the ground. ;)

What about walking off edges?

I must admit i'm also a little sad to hear there are no doors. A backwards step when GR1 had some nice door action. I used to love setting up claymores the other side of doors. Impossible now there are no door 'or' claymores.

However, one step back is very very easy to forgive when you know there are 20 steps forward to compensate.

Doors present all kinds of problems. How fast should they open? Should players be able to fire through them? Will the door or material the door is made from affect the path of the bullet or the stopping power? What kind of mechanic should be used to open them? (RvS style slow opening or just throw that plank to the side and go in).

Then you need to consider the cheap multiplayer kills that'll occur with people camping, (though to be fair, it's not cheap if the other person didn't clear the room correctly). To be totally negative for a moment- wallhacks will also cause issues here, especially if bullets will pass through doors. No one likes to die without seeing their enemy.

On the flip side? It adds a nice tactical challenge to any map as well as being more authentic. It's a tradeoff, but I think it's one we can live with.

edit: Jeez, I joined up in 2003 and I'm making my first post now?

Edited by intimate

I like having doors in buildings and I will be trying to implement them in some way or the other in my maps.

Reading from the available info about the game there should be a way to make it work, although that would mean elements are implied that weren't meant to be used in such a manner :shifty:

Doors present all kinds of problems. How fast should they open? Should players be able to fire through them? Will the door or material the door is made from affect the path of the bullet or the stopping power? What kind of mechanic should be used to open them? (RvS style slow opening or just throw that plank to the side and go in).

Then you need to consider the cheap multiplayer kills that'll occur with people camping, (though to be fair, it's not cheap if the other person didn't clear the room correctly). To be totally negative for a moment- wallhacks will also cause issues here, especially if bullets will pass through doors. No one likes to die without seeing their enemy.

On the flip side? It adds a nice tactical challenge to any map as well as being more authentic. It's a tradeoff, but I think it's one we can live with.

edit: Jeez, I joined up in 2003 and I'm making my first post now?

You obviously thought long and hard about your reply ;)

Wish some others would do the same :rofl:

I heard there was no jumping in the game at all...

As a avid player of EA's 'Battlefield 2' can I just say this about the 'no jumping'...

GOOD!

Unless you have played a tactical FPS like BF2 that allows players to jump (uninhibited) you cannot understand what a game spoiler that is!

Multiplayer on GR:AW would turn into the shocking 'bunny hopping' fest that it has on BF2...

EA has had to do a patch to combat this 'cheat' (which is what it is), but it still isn't perfect.

I think Ubisoft/GRIN have done exactly the right thing.

I heard there was no jumping in the game at all...

Unless you have played a tactical FPS like BF2 that allows players to jump (uninhibited) you cannot understand what a game spoiler that is!

Multiplayer on GR:AW would turn into the shocking 'bunny hopping' fest that it has on BF2...

EA has had to do a patch to combat this 'cheat' (which is what it is), but it still isn't perfect.

It takes on a whole new light when you hark back to early Counter-Strike, (I feel like I'm dirtying the good name of GR when I mention CS here).

The game was ruined to the point where people could bunny hop quickly enough to push to either the objective or to catch the other team just as they were arriving into the midfield defensive positions. I come from QuakeWorld, where bunny hopping is totally acceptable, and I wouldn't have it any other way, but there's absolutely no fun in having a realism game ruined to the point where the developer has to patch the jump mechanism in order to fix things.

In CS, they added an extreme slowdown after landing from a jump (which was still exploitable to bunny hop at first!). It's probably better to remove the entire system than to take it back and offer up a fixed version which will only annoy people and have them wishing for old times.

Also, in GR, we didn't need no stinkin' jumps, (although the ability to step over 4 inch high walls would have been welcome!

Who needs doors when You can slide and face left or right as you do, this will lead to some great room entry and cornering techniques once mastered!

There are some talented modders out there so i'm sure someone will mod doors.

:rofl: A door mod :rofl: No offence dudes, it just made me laugh that's all.

Hard for a bunny to  hop when it's feet are nailed to the ground.  ;)

What about walking off edges?

I must admit i'm also a little sad to hear there are no doors. A backwards step when GR1 had some nice door action. I used to love setting up claymores the other side of doors. Impossible now there are no door 'or' claymores.

However, one step back is very very easy to forgive when you know there are 20 steps forward to compensate.

If you remember, the size of the maps is out of this world. so actually, having no doors is ok as you have numerous possibilities of sneeking and peeking, hopping and popping.

With so much cover and concealment..I could care less about doors.

I have to say that not having doors is not a game killer. With the size of the maps that GRAW will have, making all the buildings enterable would be hard on PCs as there are more polys to be drawn. The other big thing and Intimate (welcome to GR.net too) touched on this, but it would give people more places to camp that could possibly make it harder to route the camper out. Case in point, the hotel on Emabassy in GR. Once someone got in there, there was no way to get them out unless you were very lucky. I remember one match I played in on TCZ shortly after GR came out, we lost 3 team members and the round after we figured out the last person on the other team was holed up in there. It took us 2 hours to play that round trying to figure out he was in there. John, as much as I like your levels, that little bit stunk some, sorry my friend.

With GRAW not having doors, it will keep people from getting such an advantage I believe. We will have buildings we can enter and reach the roof which is fine with me, I just need to make sure that I have someone with me to cover my 6 while I am sniping.

I think that the conversation at GRIN where the decision was made go with no doors on buildings with interior modelling may have been as simple as:

All right, guys.  Only 3-5% of building interiors will be modelled.  If we give them these large urban maps with hundreds of doors, and they have to walk up and try to open 400 hundred false doors in order to find the 12 that will open, they're going to fly to Stockholm and cement all of our doors, drawers, and cabinets shut to teach us a lesson.

At first, it seemed odd to me, but as I think about it, it's really quite practical, especially in a large urban setting. I say -- good decision. :thumbsup:

Buildings with no doors!

Ridiculous. Thnx to the GR community AGAIN for being able to imply them at least.

:sheep:

ok....Rediculous.....

why not take a little walk around Vilnius (m10) and count the doors that you can open on that map and pop back on here with your answer?

Buildings with no doors!

Ridiculous. Thnx to the GR community AGAIN for being able to imply them at least.

:sheep:

ok....Rediculous.....

why not take a little walk around Vilnius (m10) and count the doors that you can open on that map and pop back on here with your answer?

There are many maps with no doors, but they suit it. There are also plenty of maps with doors that would not be the same without. Surely there could be a few maps with doors on, using doors to are a great assett for CQB and also for scripting as doors open or close.

Most maps are clear which doors open and which do not just by looking at them.

<_<