GR.net GRAW PC Preview

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job zeroalpha and Colin  :coolspeak:  :cheers:

Buildings

We will find ourselves fighting in and around buildings and ruins; however there are no operable doors on buildings. Bo explained that this is because he did not want to present us with that unrealistic aspect of trying to ascertain which doors are real and which are just there for effect. In my opinion this is a shame as many coop squads including our own Team [GRNET] have devoted quite some time to our “pull and hold drills†and I will miss the suspense of wondering what is behind a door.

All the buildings are full 3D models, no “billboard†style frontages.

Approximately, how many accessible buildings on one map?

In other words. Could you enter a lot of buildings or just a few?

Bo can correct me if Im wrong, but it is about 3 to 5 percent per mission.

The other point is not to look at this as lots of seperate maps, its really one humongous area broken down into mission area objectives.

I think thats the best way of saying it.

Colin

I know Bo  and the rest of the team respect the Tourney side of GR1...

Really good AI and other major improvement`s somtimes come at a cost, I feel after playing this game that the gains far out way any loses, by a long long way.

We may not have to worry about losses as you say. If the modding kit is robust enough, we'll be able to change the game to our liking.

I predict within 2 weeks of release, the modders will have cracked the 4 player co-op limit (if we have a mod kit to work with).

Really good AI and other major improvement`s somtimes come at a cost, I feel after playing this game that the gains far out way any loses, by a long long way.

We may not have to worry about losses as you say. If the modding kit is robust enough, we'll be able to change the game to our liking.

I predict within 2 weeks of release, the modders will have cracked the 4 player co-op limit (if we have a mod kit to work with).

Please check post 42 the answer you seek is there.

Your prediction would be 2 weeks late. :)

I think its all a bandwidth thing.  The AI (Ghosts and Enemy) use up tons of CPU cycles and there is A LOT of info that has to be updated back and forth each second.  What is better, laggy 8 player coop, or smooth 4 player coop?

My 2 cents.

I'm not even going to answer that. You know what the other option is. It's the one you left out.

silent_op

Which one? Playin on console? :rofl: (jokin) But seriously, it was just a speculation, I never played GRAW PC, I didn´t develop it, so the 4 player limit has either to do that:

1. the Ghosts are a 4 player squad in SP-Coop and this way it fits better into the whole story

2. the netcode has hell lot of work to do, due to the advanced AI, and movement possiblities, physics, damage models, and that a certain thing (bandwidth) has to be capped by the "stock" 4 player limit.

3. a reason that I don´t know.

Edit: However, I´m sure there will be ways to optimize the settings, especially on the server side, that will improve performance and allow a higher player count. I´m also sure that GRIN will continue to support their game after release and further improve it. :)

Edited by agentkay

Mexico City… No doors and 5% building access. Oh boi, I knew it

ubi, ubi, ubi <_<

GR is mainly outside fighting, but the thing is when I come across a faked building where the doors cannot be opened or destroyed with a anti tank rocket and the building cannot be entered, that really kills the game immersion imo.

It destroys the impression of physics. That’s why devs and publisher should stick to forest/village or jungle/village situation until they find ways to make all access City maps.

I guess I wasn’t buggin after all.

Now, tell me that the expansion pack is not in a City. Please guys

:fingersx:

Please check post 42 the answer you seek is there.

Your prediction would be 2 weeks late. :)

Yeah, I saw that post as I was running through the thread. Although, if the solution is just a simple XML file edit, I could still be right with my prediction. :D

That's what's so nice about making broad predictions...you're never wrong! :P

(I could never be a developer. I wouldn't know how to set a schedule.)

3 questions for Colin and/or zeroalpha.

1. Regarding city screenshot in the preview. Is that the parachuting part of the first mission?

2. What were the specs of the computer that was used for the presentation? I remember something like medium details on a 6800 but I´m not sure if it was the same event.

3. What difficulty setting have you guys been playing on?

Which one?  Playin on console? :rofl: (jokin)  But seriously, it was just a speculation, I never played GRAW PC, I didn´t develop it, so the 4 player limit has either to do that:

1. the Ghosts are a 4 player squad in SP-Coop and this way it fits better into the whole story

2. the netcode has hell lot of work to do, due to the advanced AI, and movement possiblities, physics, damage models, and that a certain thing (bandwidth) has to be capped by the "stock" 4 player limit.

3. a reason that I don´t know.

Edit:  However, I´m sure there will be ways to optimize the settings, especially on the server side, that will improve performance and allow a higher player count.  I´m also sure that GRIN will continue to support their game after release and further improve it. :)

Really though, I'd bet the reason for the default 4 player co-op in the single player Mexico City campaign missions is most likely very close to your first hypothesis.

1. the Ghosts are a 4 player squad in SP-Coop and this way it fits better into the whole story (UBI ? <_< )

I trust in GRIN. If Bo told ZeroAlpha that the co-op number can be modded up to a number that would be based on a PC's capabilities, then I take his word for it. GRIN has shown us (without even a demo yet) just how much their vision of GR:AW goes hand-in-hand with our own.

I'm sure there are still GRIN GR:AW team members working even at this moment. ;)

silent_op

xml based config files cool.... modabilty :)

limited building entry, not a problem, can understand time constraints and the detail thats involved in doing internal enviroments.

That said though i have to disagree with Bo's statment about confusion about which doors open etc, half the fun is in learning a map, it's also part of the skill factor in being able to quickly adapt to your enviroment.You don't know if the door is open in real-life or if the occupant locked up well when they left. ;)

That report reads like a dream, and i'm drooling just waiting to see what that first paradrop looks and feels like, already have the vision in my minds eye and i don't think i'll be disappointed.

All of them, probably. The game's still in development.

Loool, well i know that feeling we were supposed to release our global product this week, but last minute bug fixing has pushed it back to next week.

If it counts for anything, GRIN i know the feeling :thumbsup: just keep plugin at it, your doing a swell job.

"Co-op is so important to my group, we only play co-op. Having 4 player co-op out of the box is going to kill a lot of activity on our server (possibly just leave the server empty)."

I think its safe to say that this will be modded (with other things) before half of us even have the game installed.

"Co-op is so important to my group, we only play co-op. Having 4 player co-op out of the box is going to kill a lot of activity on our server (possibly just leave the server empty)."

I think its safe to say that this will be modded (with other things) before half of us even have the game installed.

@DonMiguel - I would think if anyone could do it you guys can! :)

....so hurry up and get to work on those doors and building interiors.... :P:D

Great Preview, very detailed and in-depth. It is by far the best recent review I have read of the game. It answered most questions I had before the read. The only thing left that I would like to know. Is what were the system specs on the machine you played it on. From those system specs what type of performance were you receiving? Thanks again for a great review.

3 questions for Colin and/or zeroalpha.

1. Regarding city screenshot in the preview. Is that the parachuting part of the first mission?

Yes

2. What were the specs of the computer that was used for the presentation?  I remember something like medium details on a 6800 but I´m not sure if it was the same event.

YES

3. What difficulty setting have you guys been playing on?

It was on Easy for a bit, Bo had it on God mod to show us a lot of stuff because he was getting killed too much.

Very nice report guys. Well done.

I totally get a vibe that it's going to be a fantastic game and a worthy sucessor to G1.

This does however support my theory (er described as a hysterical conspiracy theorty on the news page last week . . ahem) . . . . that Microsoft had some concern that such a key game as GRAW PC would outshine the 360 version and therefore weaken many pc players incentive to buy a 360. Map size three times larger, features all over that seem just so superior to the 360's. Why 'wouldn't' Microsfot worry??? Makes sense that they would scramble to offer UBI some incentives to delay the PC version by a few months.

Aaaanyway. It was a great report. A couple of questions.

1. Are 'alllll' keys re asignable? Some games reserve some keys. I like to use Ctrl to lean left but some games use a Ctrl+? system for certain hot keys and don't let us assign certain keys the way we want. Please tell me it is completly open.

2. I know we cant jump but are there edges that we can walk off such as roof tops etc or has the map been designed so it's never an issue?

3. Does even the sniper rifle have a set zoom or does it have a two stage like the M98 in GR1?

4. is it true that a tactical reload result in your dropping the mag and losing the rest of those rounds?

Great Preview, very detailed and in-depth. It is by far the best recent review I have read of the game. It answered most questions I had before the read. The only thing left that I would like to know. Is what were the system specs on the machine you played it on. From those system specs what type of performance were you receiving? Thanks again for a great review.

Thank You, I will find out the full spec on the machine.

It was set on medium detail, looked really good, and played as smooth as a ### bottom. :)