GRAW Copyright Protection

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been since informed by a well placed source at Ubi that GRAW will be Starforce free.

FANTASTIC news WK! That news really made my day.

Ain't it great to have well placed sources? ;)

Hopefully, I get some word on what CP scheme will be implemented soon, the only problem is, my source only has my GR.net email addy and I can't check it on the road. :huh:

I just think its stupid that people are whining and complaining about StarForce when noone can prove it does any harm, I'm not "oh I love StarForce" but when millions of people complain about it just because they "heard" about someone that it happened to it's annoying. If your computer is failing loading StarForce, maybe that's a hint you need an upgrade. :ph34r:

I just think its stupid that people are whining and complaining about StarForce when noone can prove it does any harm, I'm not "oh I love StarForce" but when millions of people complain about it just because they "heard" about someone that it happened to it's annoying. If your computer is failing loading StarForce, maybe that's a hint you need an upgrade.  :ph34r:

I can't go into details, but there are more problems with SF than just on the end user side of the equation. Yes, not everyone will have problems with SF, but there are those who have. Aaron McKenna, a reporter with Tom's Hardware Guide, has reported not once, but twice as to problems with SF. Devs have had problems with SF (hmmmmm, this is a new one, but true).

There are enough people having problems with SF that a class action lawsuit has been filed against Ubi for using it. Check out the SF thread in the Computer Discussions forum for more info on it.

I can't go into details, but there are more problems with SF than just on the end user side of the equation. Yes, not everyone will have problems with SF, but there are those who have. Aaron McKenna, a reporter with Tom's Hardware Guide, has reported not once, but twice as to problems with SF. Devs have had problems with SF (hmmmmm, this is a new one, but true).

There are enough people having problems with SF that a class action lawsuit has been filed against Ubi for using it. Check out the SF thread in the Computer Discussions forum for more info on it.

I'm still recovering from the SF thread on the UBI forums. <_<

I read the same conversation/topics you did in GR main forums and hear, I really didn't care I was reading out of shear interest and the fact that I was ignorant to what star force was.

The fact is, I saw many people PROVE that Star Force has poor support for their problems. Also if you think Star force doesn't have any "problems" then your sadly mistaken because all programs have problems, GRAW will have problems---but the difference being Star force doesn't seem to really "care" or at least how the people make it out and we can only go by their experience and Star forces past (that whole leaking a game thing.)

It doesn't look good for them. Also not being able to prove it? I remember someone posting an article by a big time magazine (or I think it was big time, fairly popular at the most I guess) stating that star force "Can" cause problems on your hard rive.

If you think that "Aww I have to put my cd in my drive" is enough reason to cause all these people to lie and make up crap, then I'm afraid your ignorant. There IS a problem!

Also, I do agree with you, a lot of people are probably just jumping on the bandwagon, but also disagree with you to say that "star force" doesn't have problems.

Also, Star Froce has taken a very "high and mighty" aproach to helping their customers. They did a contest, for you to come and prove to them their is a problem and you win..1,000 dallors? Why don't they just HELP? (their in Russia or something?)

Well thats what I gathered from "reading" Just an opinion.

frankly, the whole concept of copy protection is stupid. Every one is hacked in no time and does nothing to stop those with warez. All it ends up doing is ###### off the consumers that pay for it. Like many other illegal activites, those that are legit suffer while the ones breaking the laws laugh. I have to point out the Galatic Civilization game. No copy protection and despite the shock of the publishing community, they continue to have fantastic sales. Time to face it, CP is an old school ideology and publishers need to move on.

Quality game + proper advertising + perfectly timed hype = fantastic sales ..... and that even if the game has NO copy protection.

However, one problem are the casual pirates, therefore is only smart to have at least some type of CP. It can´t be that "average Joe" starts up Nero and makes a perfectly working copy for all his friends.

The future is digital distribution anyway, similar to STEAM. I kind of hate that, I love owning a box and actual disc and not just some online registration.

frankly, the whole concept of copy protection is stupid.  Every one is hacked in no time and does nothing to stop those with warez.  All it ends up doing is ###### off the consumers that pay for it.  Like many other illegal activites, those that are legit suffer while the ones breaking the laws laugh.  I have to point out the Galatic Civilization game.  No copy protection and despite the shock of the publishing community, they continue to have fantastic sales.  Time to face it, CP is an old school ideology and publishers need to move on.

Was Haf Life 2 ever cracked?

Quality game + proper advertising + perfectly timed hype = fantastic sales ..... and that even if the game has NO copy protection.

However, one problem are the casual pirates, therefore is only smart to have at least some type of CP.  It can´t be that "average Joe" starts up Nero and makes a perfectly working copy for all his friends.

The future is digital distribution anyway, similar to STEAM.  I kind of hate that,

I love owning a box and actual disc
and not just some online registration.

With HL2 you do own the box & disc.

Hopefully, I get some word on what CP scheme will be implemented soon, the only problem is, my source only has my GR.net email addy and I can't check it on the road.  :huh:

Get OFF the road then.... :D

Glad to hear the StarForce debacle is solved.

Protecting your work is fine, but being intrusive is another.

I just think its stupid that people are whining and complaining about StarForce when noone can prove it does any harm,

I used to think like that too, and I didn't have probs with Starforce on my high-end system with a Plextor optical drive.

However, even though SF didn't do any physical damage to my second system with the Lite-On drive, it sure is intrusive and wastes my time trying to get certain discs to be detected, including the Lockdown discs that SF came on <_<:wacko:

I have several EA games with another form of copy protection and I never have problems after installing those games.

Why Ubi chose to use SF is beyond me, but something tells me the people who chose Starforce likely don't even have time to install and play their own games.

yes, HL2 WAS cracked, as was Splinter Cell: CT. With the network of P2P's out there and the godlike search powers of Google, any idiot with internet connection and 5 minutes can find serials, nocds, you name it. there's even sites out there dedicated to describing the process of hacking this stuff for "legal" reasons (total oxymoron, but it's their excuse none-the-less). In todays world there's little difference between the casual pirate and the one making the hacks to begin with.

For every determined game company, there's a more determined group of gamers who feel the publishers have no right to determine HOW they use the game they purchased. Pirates with intent to pirate, WILL.

I frankly pirate every game before I buy it, because like most of you, I'm tired of being jipped out of 50 or 60 bucks for a game full of flaws, broken promises, or just p-ss poor quality (and was seduced into buying it with pretty pics and lots of hype). With the return policy of software these days, this means we the consumer have to eat it and like it. So if there's no demo (and even if there is since developers quite often release a demo thats quite different then the finished product), I'll download the full game and try it. There's yet to be a game I either couldn't crack myself or couldn't get a crack for, and thats the simple and honest truth to it. (Just a note to GRIN: after reading the comments of ZeroAlpha and gang that played it...and because I respect the opinions of that gang GREATLY, you are THE first that I have preordered, ever, in my almost 18 years of PC gaming...so notch that in your bedposts).

Now, understand I'm not promoting piracy. After trying a game, I will either get rid of it or buy it and use it. I believe they SHOULD get their reward for hard work. My point is to say that CP is becoming more intrusive, more controlling, and sometimes more unstable, its aggrivating for legit consumers and most of us (yes MOST OF US) use NoCDs and other hacks to bypass CP as often as we can cause we're sick of it, and the more they force us, the more we end up rebelling (very reminicent of gun and drug trafficing if you ask me).

Again, DEVS AND PUBS, Time to move on to a new line of thinking because this escalation will just continue until everyone loses.

Edited by DonMiguel

I just think its stupid that people are whining and complaining about StarForce when noone can prove it does any harm,

When I see people like Dai San and CR6 posting that they have tracked down issues on their own PC's to Starforce, that's all the proof I need. Anyone who does any reading on the subject and comes away thinking SF does not cause problems, they are burying their heads in the sand frankly.

(Just a note to GRIN: after reading the comments of ZeroAlpha and gang that played it...and because I respect the opinions of that gang GREATLY, you are THE first that I have preordered, ever, in my almost 18 years of PC gaming...so notch that in your bedposts).

:thumbsup: dito,... this game and Oblivion I ordered at the same time, not based on what was being said by anyone, but rather on the info I researched or came accross impressed me. (believe it or not, I did not get OB because or the graphics.)

Edited by smokin

dont try and attack me, I'm not attacking you. and I'm not advocating piracy...I just have to balls to admit it where most of the PC gaming population are shining examples of hyprocrasy. (wonder how many reading this have bittorrent going right now.....). Quality games get my patronage, crap gets my recycle bin. Its really that simple.

to your question: Why GRAW? because I've been a part of the GR community for a very long time and have gotten hundreds of hours of play time, and literally thousands of hours of modding time out of GR1. The mere possibility of that kind of worthwhile investment, plus the fact that people I respect are as impressed with the results of GRAW as they seem to be, then I'm sold on GRAW. Starforce or not.

--------------------------

back to CP discussion

--------------------------

We're lucky here in Aust. because EB Games have a 7 day, no questions asked, money back guarantee so if a game is really cr@p you can just exchange it. I've only used it once with that dreadfull Warhammer 40K Fire Warrior game... but it's nice to know it's an option.