GRAW Copyright Protection

When I first reported on GRAW back in August, I was told that it was possible that a less invasive version of Starforce could possibly be used. I had later been informed that the full version of Starforce would be used to protect the game. This had me worried as I brought this up during my meetings with Ubi personnel in Germany. I intimated that as good as GRAW would be that it could hamper sales if used as it has been for the past few games.

I have been since informed by a well placed source at Ubi that GRAW will be Starforce free. This may be due to a recently filed lawsuit in California against Ubisoft for using it, but I also attribute it to the bad publicity (or good depending on how you look at it) that Starforce has received as of late by members both here and at the Ubi forums.

I think Bo was sweating it a bit as he knows that GRAW is kick-ass and that we are pretty happy with what we have seen so far. I am sure he wants his game to sell well and with a copyright protection scheme as problematic as SF seems to be could have hampered sales of his company's game, thus hurting any royalties they may receive from it. Congrats Bo, it looks like it will sell very well now.

At this time, I have no idea what CP scheme is going to be used, but my source informs me it will not be invasive, I repeat, it is not supposed to be invasive. More on that front when I find out.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope the source is a reliable one mate as its neck-on-the-line type posts where thats concerned!

:thumbsup: Thanks for taking time to post about this. After reading all the history on this type of CP I was literaly putting that in my list of reasons to hold off a purchase (realy).

(As if I would actualy doubt anyone who would post such a thing!) :P:D

Phew, thats a real result & the icing on the cake for GRAW me thinks.

So Bo / GRIN Team ... did you have a Starforce logo over the dart board in the office? :devil:

Thank God... i didn't want starforce on our server if it would cause issues for it (unless the server doesn't require the whole install and did not need it)

Pc's i can reload but servers aren't fun (although i can... just a big pain) if issues arose.

i only know what i've read about starforce. lots of people say it's bad, but i dunno if that's just cause they don't like not being able to copy games. I don't particularly like having software on my system that takes control of it.

i only know what i've read about starforce. lots of people say it's bad, but i dunno if that's just cause they don't like not being able to copy games. I don't particularly like having software on my system that takes control of it.

No It's NOT because they like copying games at all, I have been quite vocal for ages as to the intrusiveness of Starforce but until Lockdown had never had any bad effects due to it.

Now after having a stable system for years, the minute ANY Atarforce protected game is installed I get random BSOD's, CD and HD thrashing and sound issues, the minute Starforce is removed I have a stable system again. I don't have any cracked or copied games on my system, I don't even Torrent.

Latest problem was with the Blazing Angels Demo from UBI which has SF.

This news is most welcome indeed.

PS: If SF is so benign then how come at least two of the biggest computer gaming mags in the UK have recently run articles on it?

I never had any problems with SF, BUT I NEVER burn CDs or DVDs with their driver present in my system. Trust me, I don´t like Starforce, but they are the MOST EFFECTIVE copy protection when it comes to casual pirates (aka, friends borrowing a game, making a backup copy etc.).

Anyway, if a game is really good and PROPERLY advertised (and hyped), it DOESN´T need a good and effective copy protection. This has been proven COUNTLESS times, and the last one which did was Elder Scrolls 4 - Oblivion, which has a VERY simple disc check as a copy protection. We all know that this game is selling like hot cakes.

Edited by agentkay

I think it's funny how everyones like "ZOMG Now that StarForce is gone I"M GOING TO BUY IT!" like StarForce is the devil, we've had a big thread about this over on the UBI forums and noones been able to prove that Star Force actually messes your system up,

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc...13/m/9731094224

Enjoy.

Edit: Everyone knows you were going to buy the game even if there was StarForce, don't even try to lie.

Edited by SpecOps.Briggs

I would have bought it, unfortunately if it randomly BSOD'd like it did to my system after Lockdown, then it would have had to be removed.

If I didn't buy software cos it randomly screwed other things up then i wouldn't have had M$ OS's on my HD's for years ;)

I have been since informed by a well placed source at Ubi that GRAW will be Starforce free.

FANTASTIC news WK! That news really made my day.

I just reformatted my main gaming rig and I am purposely not (re)installing Splinter Cell Chaos Theory or Lockdown on it because of problems I had with Starforce on my second system (and no, I don't do anything illegal :P )

I was getting even more ticked off at Starforce yesterday when it took 5 tries for my Lite-On DVD-RW burner to recognize my BF2 disc on my LAN rig, and it never had any probs before I installed Lockdown.