Whats the deal with HDTVs & PCs?

Moezter

OK so I bought a 23" samsung hdtv with the PC hookups. My concern is the resolution which is 1366 x 768. This seems pretty poor compared to other monitors. I'm building a PC to play graw and i dont want to be surprised by the crappy resolution of the game because of my tv.

Is this tv gonna cut it or should i get something like a viewsonic widescreen monitor?

OK so I bought a 23" samsung hdtv  with the PC hookups. My concern is the resolution which is 1366 x 768. This seems pretty poor compared to other monitors. I'm building a PC to play graw and i dont want to be surprised by the crappy resolution of the game because of my tv.

Is this tv gonna cut it or should i get something like a viewsonic widescreen monitor?

Sounds low, but HDTV comes in different flavors. Two base res's and two scans, interlaced or progressive. Sounds like that TV will run the lower 720p or 720i. Basically 1280x720.

720p(i) 1280 x 720

1080p(i) 1920 x 1080

It's still a pretty good res, just not the highest HD is capable of. I'm not sure Xbox360 is more then 720p. Read up on it somewhere but forgot if it can do the higher one.

Edit: for your PC though, it should run at the full 1366 x 768. You might have to add that setting to your graphics card, but it's pretty simple.

Edited by Brettzies

it's supposed to be able to upscale to 1080i but can't really tell the difference

Here's some info for you to look at: 1080p info

Hmm, sounds strange because technically it's 1920 x 1080 res. Honestly, I don't know. The highest res is more used for Films shot on High Def, like the last two Star Wars movies or SinCity. I think it just means your "compatible." In other words, it'll play something encoded in the 1080i format, but you aren't going to get all the lines of resolution. It'll adapt by subtracting stuff out. Just like a tv/dvd player setup trying to play an anamorphic 16:9 dvd.

Edited by Brettzies