SOLD my XBOX

Moezter

I bought the 360 because of GRAW. I have come to realize that no console game will ever have the depth PC games do. It makes sense from the marketing point of view. Console games have to be easy to play and have to put you in the middle of the action. They have to be arcady basically.

I'm using the money I got for the 360 to build a system and play the PC version of GRAW. Does ayone else feels this way?

No. Here is a rule of thumb. If you like gaming, never sell a console unless you have another one that is 100% backward compatible. Sooner or later you will regret it. The 360 is only months old. It may take a year, but eventually you are going to see a 360 exclusive and kick yourself.

I am undecided, and while I disagree with your the description of GRAW being either easy or arcadish, I might end up agreeing that I'd be better off with a souped up PC.

I haven't logged enough hours on it yet to be sure; but so far while I think Live is really neat, the graphic glithes are bothering me. While I love streaming photo's wirelessly to the Xbox via the PC, I am disapointed I can't do the same with movie footage unless I get a new OS (Windows Media Centre). While I like having a 30" display instead of an 18" display, Mrs Rocky ain't so keen on losing the telly for a couple of hours every night. And while I like some of the nice graphics effects the 360 produces, I've got to ask is it worth paying double the PC price for basically the same game?

Those are the pro's and cons I'll be weighing up over the next 4 weeks.

I bought the 360 because of GRAW. I have come to realize that no console game will ever have the depth PC games do. It makes sense from the marketing point of view. Console games have to be easy to play and have to put you in the middle of the action. They have to be arcady basically.

I'm using the money I got for the 360 to build a system and play the PC version of GRAW. Does ayone else feels this way?

Well I bought the 360 just for sports gaming really - well that and PGR3 - that's just awesome! I currently have GRAW for 360 and played it maybe 1 week total of 12-15 hours.... it is now listed on ebay ($44 buy it now if anyone is interested heheh).

I agree it is arcady, and non-tactical in MP mode. Everyone just runs and guns, and it takes about 20-30 minutes of trying to find a decent MP game that isn't full of crappy settings, crappy players, or combo of both. As for the aiming with gamepad - forget it, even if they had the mouse/keboard option available (3rd party mod) I doubt I would like it.

I will however keep my 360 - I love it for many other games. Tiger Woods golf, NHL 2k6, PGR, Top Spin2, Fight Night Round 3, and the upcoming baseball games are worth it to me. Not to mention the crazy Ping Pong game by Rockstar games that is slated... those types of games get addictive for a quick 'jump in and play' session online.

Plus remember there is an add-on HD DVD drive coming for the 360 (via usb) - rumored to be $150 compared to the current $700-800 price point for a stand alone drives coming on the market.

I’m sorry but I have to completely disagree with GRAW being arcade like.

It’s not as tactical as what the pc version will be but it’s far from a battlefield type game….now that’s an arcade game. I only play LMS for the most part and I almost never see run & gun type games. I’m not sure why you guys are having this problem.

I play PC as well and plan on building a new on probably early next year. That said, I can’t think of many PC shooters that are more tactical than GRAW on 360. Not many quality ones anyway.

I think GRAW is excellent and plenty deep. But to each his own ya know…

To be honest I’m a little surprised about the negativity towards GRAW. :huh:

Plus remember there is an add-on HD DVD drive coming for the 360 (via usb) - rumored to be $150 compared to the current $700-800 price point for a stand alone drives coming on the market.

Does that mean MS might offer the HD drive as the standard in the 360 at a future date? IF that is the case, I will wait a bit longer before picking up a 360. I'm really not in a hurry.

Well I bought the 360 just for sports gaming really

Tiger Woods golf, NHL 2k6, PGR, Top Spin2, Fight Night Round 3, and the upcoming baseball games are worth it to me. 

That's exactly where I am with consoles -- sports games and driving games. Those seem to be the two genre's that the controllers are suited for.

I'll by a Playstation 3 when it's released. I have a Playstation 2 now. I own Madden Football, NBA Live, EA Sports Rugby, Tiger Woods Golf, SSX, and on the driving side, Smuggler's Run 2, ATV Offroad Fury 3, and GTA 3. They're all loads of fun, and I wouldn't ditch them for anything, but that's the extent of my interest in consoles -- sports and driving.

--Logos

While I like having a 30" display instead of an 18" display, Mrs Rocky ain't so keen on losing the telly for a couple of hours every night.

Plug it in monitor.

@jchung I dont think it will be integrated hd-dvd, just add-on, cost wouldnt add up (at least until mid 2007, i think)

Does that mean MS might offer the HD drive as the standard in the 360 at a future date? IF that is the case, I will wait a bit longer before picking up a 360. I'm really not in a hurry.

Not as far as I've read - they originally were talking about releasing the core and premium, with a premium + version to include the HD DVD later this year, but that sorta fell apart a year ago when all the sony vs. the world debates came up on who would support which format (blu-ray vs HD DVD) and was recently announced to be only an add-on currently in development.

So no benefit in waiting really. ;)

It’s not as tactical as what the pc version will be but it’s far from a battlefield type game….now that’s an arcade game.  I only play LMS for the most part and I almost never see run & gun type games.  I’m not sure why you guys are having this problem.

To be honest I’m a little surprised about the negativity towards GRAW.  :huh:

The negativity is towards the console ruining a potentially good experience due to the controls, idiot online players, terrible wait times for server listings, ADD play styles of online LMS games i have finally managed to get into, and 'dummed down' version of the game for online play.

The pc version is/has/and will be much deeper, have true flexibility in server abilities, and controls that make the game playable based on skill and strategy, not who's the analog stick king of the pack. Oh, and have a depth of field that is actually visible and 'feels' like it should at a high resolution. 360 version just loses detail out in the sniper ranges compared to pc.

Sorry - I'm not going to simply splap the "I LOVE IT" label on something just because is says GRAW on it :wall: . From what I've seen from the pc version previews - it will be a well earned "I LOVE IT". :thumbsup:

Edited by tangovictor

I have just bought my 360 and going to pick GRAW for it this weekend. Its sad to see that after playing week or so you guys are selling it. I must be the only one who still plays games for single player only. :( I played the original Rainbow Six just last weekend and Ghost Recon is also very much in use, almost daily. But it seems that you are most unhappy with the multiplayer part of GRAW? I sure hope that GRAW wont disappoint me with its single player campaing. Like Lockdown did. But what can I do..I just have to collect them all. So happy that Grin likes it -CLASSIC- :yes:

Not sure if this is how others were thinking when they brought an XBOX 360, but I feel that many people were expecting GR1 (PC) in a console, which it never will be, or was ever intended to be either.

The 360 version of GRAW is a superbly fun game to play PERIOD, with everything you need at your finger tips for enjoyment, whether it's SP or MP that you are after.

The graphics, all be it through a ordinary TV aren't that superb, but once connected to a PC monitor or an HDTV ready TV are superb and equal, if not better, anything else I've seen.

The community itself on the 360 is very friendly, much more so than I have ever found with my PC brothers. That being said, I'm sure much of it is down to the fact that everyone is on comms, although some PC games have the same feature but again I do not get the same "don't know you, but who cares, let's chat and game and generally have fun" attitude.

So even if I only ever play GR:AW on the 360 I would consider it money well spent. Even if GRAW PC is a superb agme I shall still play GRAW 360 style, it's just a very fun game to play and that for me is all that is important.

The negativity is towards the console ruining a potentially good experience due to the controls, idiot online players, terrible wait times for server listings, ADD play styles of online LMS games i have finally managed to get into, and 'dummed down' version of the game for online play.

The pc version is/has/and will be much deeper, have true flexibility in server abilities, and controls that make the game playable based on skill and strategy, not who's the analog stick king of the pack. Oh, and have a depth of field that is actually visible and 'feels' like it should at a high resolution.  360 version just loses detail out in the sniper ranges compared to pc.

Sorry - I'm not going to simply splap the "I LOVE IT" label on something just because is says GRAW on it  :wall: .  From what I've seen from the pc version previews - it will be a well earned "I LOVE IT".   :thumbsup:

I see.

Well I can honestly say there are just as many idiots playing pc games. I couldn’t begin to tell you how many games I have played on PC only to find cheaters and team killers (Raven Shield being one of the worst). Not that xbox Live doesn’t have their share of morons because they certainly do. Really I’ll unplug my headset sometimes if I’m playing with people I don’t know.

And “analog stick king of the pack”? Explain that? How is it any different than mouse? Everyone is using the same analog stick and obviously someone is going to be the better player. So there will also be a “king of the mouse” right? I just don’t get the point with that but it almost sounds like you aren’t used to using the analog stick so maybe you feel you’re at somewhat of a disadvantage…..I don’t know.

Of course the PC version will be deeper/more flexible…most fps (Tom Clancy games) on PC are. At least the single player will be but I’m not sure how the multiplayer will be so much deeper.

I agree with the wait time server list…it’s too long. But it’s not that big a deal imo.

And it sounds like you have already slapped an “I love it” on the PC version. Have you played it yet? Honestly from what I have seen….I am not impressed. I’ll probably be buying it regardless but I see nothing outstanding yet. I have watched the “new” trailer several times now and felt somewhat disappointed. For one thing the graphics, from what I have seen at this point, are not even in the game league as the 360 version. Not that graphics are the most important thing still… The frame rate was absolutely terrible. Why even show a trailer when the frame rate looks like a slide show? Makes me wonder how well the game will be optimized. I also got a very “nothing new” feeling about the pc version. Now that said I’ll wait and play it before deciding. In most cases the clean up the frame rate at the end of development so I have some hope but honestly I almost wish I had not even seen the trailer for the pc version.

Let me put it this way, it went from a “must have” to a “wait and play the demo first”.

I must be the only one who still plays games for single player only.

No you are not. Just dont listen to others. Try it for yourself. Game rocks and its NOT arcade. I really dislike how some ppl describe this game, its almost like having a political pro-pc agenda behind themselves. I saw pc pictures and x360 version looks better.

@Tango; graw x360 has insane depth of field, what are you talking about.

And it sounds like you have already slapped an “I love it†on the PC version.  Have you played it yet?  Honestly from what I have seen….I am not impressed. 

Did you read what I said - "From what I've seen - it WILL BE a well EARNED..." As in - if it is as good as what I've seen thus far.... IF would be the key word. I have played the 360 version and am not impressed with the console experience of a 'tactical' FPS.

If you'd like to argue with my opinion you're going to lose. it's mine... al mine.... muahahahaha. :harhar: If you're not impressed with the pc version great - go have fun on xbox live. :tv:

@Tango; graw x360 has insane depth of field, what are you talking about.

I have a 56" DLP HDTV - can't get much sharper than that. Even on that HUGE screen I pick up far less depth of field 'feel' in MP than current PC games. Maybe you're confused that in the MP version, you lose the blur and field effects that are present in the single player version. The screenshots of the pc version that have been posted show a great detail level at far distances. 720p just isn't going to get to the level of detail the pc can produce. :whistle:

Edited by tangovictor

I have a 56" DLP HDTV - can't get much sharper than that.  Even on that HUGE screen I pick up far less depth of field 'feel' in MP than current PC games.

Well you would probably see mexico in real and said "well i prefer pc version, its more clear", sure monitors have higher res but it doesnt fit reality (which is without 100% clean AF), also in pc MP ghosts doesnt operate in Nicaragua (only in Mexico city, i think).

People are missing the point. If the developers have to wire a game so tight to prevent you from running and gunning, then it isn't going to be realistic. The developers gave freedom to the players and some players use that freedom unrealistically only because no one is there to put them in check.

The problem is the people you are playing with and against do not use coordinated tactics. If you do, then the people playing against you are going to start losing and dying left and right.

The devs made realistic allowances. The fact that the game is run and gun is the fault of the players, not the game. I agree it happens, but be honest about the cause.

Also consider this. How many games will be made for the 360? 5000? 10,000? You are judging the console on an extremely small percentage of the titles that will eventually be produced. I say sell it. The fact is you will eventually regret it. It only takes one exclusive title to make you realize you should have kept it.

I have a 56" DLP HDTV - can't get much sharper than that.  Even on that HUGE screen I pick up far less depth of field 'feel' in MP than current PC games.

Well you would probably see mexico in real and said "well i prefer pc version, its more clear", sure monitors have higher res but it doesnt fit reality (which is without 100% clean AF), also in pc MP ghosts doesnt operate in Nicaragua (only in Mexico city, i think).

:rofl: what exactly is the resolution of reality? infinite? :hmm:

Edited by tangovictor

what exactly is the resolution of reality? infinite?

Well, this argument stretch now in infinite and shows nothing, you didnt even play pc version yet. Only on pc i can see razor sharp textures on 100 or 200 m away; it is visual fiction non reality based.

OK heres some xian shots from past on mp x360;

100_2128.JPG

100_2130.JPG

100_2131.JPG

100_2132.JPG

Edited by Lysander

The problem is the people you are playing with and against do not use coordinated tactics. If you do, then the people playing against you are going to start losing and dying left and right.

The devs made realistic allowances. The fact that the game is run and gun is the fault of the players, not the game. I agree it happens, but be honest about the cause.

QFT. This happens everywhere. If you cant stop run-and-gun ppl its your own fault and not that of the system. Its like CQB in real environment and dickheads with AK47.

Not as far as I've read - they originally were talking about releasing the core and premium, with a premium + version to include the HD DVD later this year, but that sorta fell apart a year ago when all the sony vs. the world debates came up on who would support which format (blu-ray vs HD DVD) and was recently announced to be only an add-on currently in development.

So no benefit in waiting really. ;)

It’s not as tactical as what the pc version will be but it’s far from a battlefield type game….now that’s an arcade game.  I only play LMS for the most part and I almost never see run & gun type games.  I’m not sure why you guys are having this problem.

To be honest I’m a little surprised about the negativity towards GRAW.   :huh:

The pc version is/has/and will be much deeper, have true flexibility in server abilities, and controls that make the game playable based on skill and strategy, not who's the analog stick king of the pack. Oh, and have a depth of field that is actually visible and 'feels' like it should at a high resolution. 360 version just loses detail out in the sniper ranges compared to pc.

Sorry - I'm not going to simply splap the "I LOVE IT" label on something just because is says GRAW on it :wall: . From what I've seen from the pc version previews - it will be a well earned "I LOVE IT". :thumbsup:

I had a go at COD2 on the XBOX360 in a local game shop and i found it hard to aim with the controller, probably need the learning curve there. But beleive me mate there will be just as many idiot players online in the PC version of GRAW.