Need opinions

Ruin

I'm in need of a new rig. My parents refuse to let me buy my own parts and build up so we've reached a compromise.

I've narrowed down my search to two computers. I don't know much about specific brands/models.

The differences aren't much and each is better than the other in one area or another. Please take a look at the following:

Comparison

I will be adding a Gefore4 Ti4200 to either one no matter what.

With integrated graphics on both of them, I'm not sure if you can disable them to add a GF4.

'Tween the two, I'd pick the emachines. Faster, cheaper.

I'd poke around and try and find a similarly priced machine with an actual video card.

Add another stick of 256 to either machine you get.

Nice to see ya around again XO. :):hehe:

What about a Radeon?

I have a stick of 256M DDR RAM just laying in a static bag. No clue on the speed, but I bought it last summer for for about $45.

I'll keep looking... Although I dont recall seeing many in my price range with an actual Vid card...

I haven't got much experience with Radeons. Both NVidia and ATI have their superfans. My only experience with ATI was with an integrated Rage3D chip in my 233MHz Aptiva. Royal pain in the neck.

I've been more or less out of the 'tech loop' since I left the forum last year.

Only suggestion is research, research, research.

And don't let those blue-shirted ###### talk you into something you don't want. If you get a slick one, they'll make you doubt the claim they're not comissioned.

According to the Best Buy statistics, there's one agp slot. I wish you luck in finding jumpers to disable the onboard graphics chip, though. May or may not be there.

With regards to brand quality, well, emachines is (I believe) the BB 'valu' brand. Compaq makes 'alright' computers (I'm on a Compaq now), but are pretty much reviled.

According to the Best Buy statistics, there's one agp slot. I wish you luck in finding jumpers to disable the onboard graphics chip, though. May or may not be there.

He doesn't have to go through that he can disable it through the BIOS, thats how I disabled my onboard graphics.

Unless your looking for the top card available (Ati of course) pick which ever you want. They both seem pretty balanced as far as price and performance. I prefer Ati, but thats a personal preference based on experiance.

Of those two, I'd have to say emachines as well. Since they do have an unoccupied AGP slot, you will be able to disable the onboard, with through bios or a jumper. Last ditch effort before buying a PC, know anyone/place that builds PCs from parts? Perhaps your parents would agree with that? Anything built from seperate brand-name components, imo, is better than a prefab.

Thanks for all of the help guys.

I personally prefer the cheaper faster one too.

I priced other machines, and even building form scratch... all told, it's in the neighborhood of $650 to $750... I think my parents will like this better.

:)

Home I'm not too late here. I have 3 Compaqs, and they are/were all "pieces." You CAN disable onboard video on almost every computer through BIOS or Device Manager like I did. When I was flying back from Las Vegas I was reading some articles on eMachines computers. They (PC Upgrade IIRC) said that they really do have all the parts listed and if you are using for a business or just simple word proccessing and internet browsing you'll be fine. But they said Gamers Beware. They are crap for gaming. Do you have any Word, Powerpoint, Excel or Publisher files? If so then without converters you cant open them with MS Works. :( (Unless you go ilegal but yeah). http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=112030...at=490&scat=491 I would recc saving up another $100 and getting this. Then you can 1. Sell that GFx card or 2. Use it as a backup or put it in another system. It has much more ram and it is of course gonna be the right speed. Has a nice lil AMD 2400- and plenty of HDD space

Sounds good Stinger, but unfortunatley my parents have me on a STRICT budget. The two I have are about as high as I can go.

I'll see what I can do. When we go to the store on Sat or Sun, I'll bring the names of all 3 computers and see what they say to each.

So far though, I'm liking the eMachines the best.

I personally have a hard time figuring out how one can be better for gaming than another. I't'd make sense for it to be dependant on parts, not manufacturer. :wacko::blink:

As far as Microsoft Office... thanks to my uhhh... Syrian Friends, I have that on 2 CDs. :D

Sounds good Stinger, but unfortunatley my parents have me on a STRICT budget. The two I have are about as high as I can go.

I'll see what I can do. When we go to the store on Sat or Sun, I'll bring the names of all 3 computers and see what they say to each.

So far though, I'm liking the eMachines the best.

I personally have a hard time figuring out how one can be better for gaming than another. I't'd make sense for it to be dependant on parts, not manufacturer. :wacko::blink:

As far as Microsoft Office... thanks to my uhhh... Syrian Friends, I have that on 2 CDs. :D

Okay, I know what its like to be on a budget and those computers arent bad...stay away from Compaq if you can though. The quality matters on brand name because diff brands put diff parts into their rigs. And my buddies at Compaq for example, they ripped out my AGP slot...you can tell where it was but they ripped it out those....another story nm. And My MS Office XP Professional is on one disc...I mean I dont have any thing illegal :ph34r: <---darts away in ninja costume Just tell us what you get and we'll spruce it up...OH ANOTHER THING, you need to find out the amount of Watts the PSU has so you can make sure it is capable of running your GF4 Ti4200 ;) Really ask the people to find out cause you could get stuck with a pos no-name one with low wattage.

What wattage would I need?

Also, my dad says "No tinkering" so I'd have the BestBuy guys put the card in for me (I'm not about to fry another mobo, 2 in 6 months is enough).

Also, I have a nice 60G HD here... that'd I'd like to either put in this computer or just copy and paste over. Could the guys there do that for me?

Not sure if Best Buy puts in parts other than what are sold in there store and are in box cause of risks to them and being sued or them messing up etc. Man, you should tell your dad that to further your computer education you need to tinker a bit lol. What are you doing with the old box? I think 350 Watts and up would be fine for it. But I wouldnt go below by much for sure. And I think Best Buy sells PSU's so yoyu could get one there, preferably made by Antec. Thats more money though and Best Buy really rips you off for installing it... :(

What are you doing with the old box?

You mean my 20lb doorstop? :)

Well, I guess I'll have to see what happens on the weekend. I'm hoping all will go well.

I just need to be back up and running ASAP.

Just a couple of ideas here (both require internet access), you could use it as an FTP for hosting various files, make it a dedicated server for some game oh and you could do some distrbuted computing thing i.e. SETI or there is one on Folding Proteins (cures for Cancer and Parkinsons), and another for Genomes (no idea I just tun the Folding one). My parents have a nice door stop down here which I am gonna start an FTP on here in not too long. Just dont toss it away though. ;)

On the subject of PSU's. 300 Watts is just fine for a PSU. The computer that I have has a 300W PSU, and it has 6 case fans, one PCI fan, a GF4 Ti 4400 with dual turbo heatsinks/fans. 300 is just fine, although the computer your getting most likely will have 250W, which will be fine. (I used to have 250W, and it caused no problems.) Good luck Ruin, hope you like your new computer.

Edited by Crimson

250 isnt enough, 300 maybe but still may as well get a nice one that'll last a couple years. Just my other 2 cents. But the PSU (200 watts) that came with my Compaq will not power my current rig. I've tried it and it acts like it will then it always freezes on the loading part.

A poorley made 350W PSU is not as good as a nicely built 250W PSU.

Thats why I told him to get an Antec PSU...and yes those are High Quality.

And I think Best Buy sells PSU's so yoyu could get one there, preferably made by Antec.

And yes before you buy it check with the dumb sales rep what the wattage is on the PSU. I seriously doubt it is over 200 Watts. And I can guarantee you that it isnt high quality.