ip to ip ?

Getting a game in GR1 was great cause it was quite flexible. You could to go the ubi site which i hardly ever did. GS was good for picking up quick games as was ASE.

When my GS was down though my friend could join or start a game then tell me the ip. Sometimes we did a co op together and i just joined his ip. There was a feeling of freedom in ip to ip play as we didn't have to rely on some server list page to find each other.

These days though it seems ip to ip isn't popular in games. I think many games publishers want to keep a tight control on online play so create their own systems.

How about GRAW PC.

Hmm, i havn't played any games where i wasn't able to connect to an IP.

What games are you mentioning in specific?

Games now seem to be using more of the console and there is no obvious join button but, i just havn't come across one yet, where i could only join through a list. I mainly only play FPS and other shooters though.

Hmm, i havn't played any games where i wasn't able to connect to an IP.

What games are you mentioning in specific?

Games now seem to be using more of the console and there is no obvious join button but, i just havn't come across one yet, where i could only join through a list. I mainly only play FPS and other shooters though.

A few recent RTS games have had ip 2 ip removed or butchered so they dont work including AoE3 and BFME2.

hopefully you will be able to do it all. I really hope there will be dedicated servers. ip to ip is always laggy.

all depends on the host computer! :D

Me and my buddies play ip to ip all the time on GR1. Works perfectly! :yes:

well that's true. But it also depends on the host connection speed. most cable connections will have a fast enough download, but the upload speed is very limited. Whoever is on the host computer always has the advantage as everyone else is a few steps behind due to the lag. I've play ip to ip with someone in the next room and there's still enough lag to give the host an advantage. If it's perfect to you, then great. But I can notice even the slightest difference in connection speeds. The timing just doesn't line up like it should.

Yeah...no idea why they would ever remove IP join from a game. They did it with Letdown. I don't know if this is to force you to use their UBI.com service or what. But one thing that has always been great with the R6 series was what we called the IP Community. We were seperate from the main lobbies of the games sites and we built a community around it with Ladders, etc.

hopefully you will be able to do it all. I really hope there will be dedicated servers. ip to ip is always laggy.

well that's true. But it also depends on the host connection speed. most cable connections will have a fast enough download, but the upload speed is very limited. Whoever is on the host computer always has the advantage as everyone else is a few steps behind due to the lag. I've play ip to ip with someone in the next room and there's still enough lag to give the host an advantage. If it's perfect to you, then great. But I can notice even the slightest difference in connection speeds. The timing just doesn't line up like it should.

Point taken. I've only ever played CO-OP, so I guess maybe it's not as noticable for me.

I just hope it has all options. UBI servers, third party servers and ip to ip.

I don't know about that japanese program but i have a small program called 'Battlelan' it let's my friend create a lan game then i can use it to join his lan game on his ip. Doesnt always work though.

ASE and IP-to-IP would be perfect. GR was super easy to set up for online play ... very few ports had to be opened and I never had any problems hosting or joining. I never bothered installing the UBI 'service' and I'm glad I didn't 'cause it's given me nothing but problems in their other games.

Hopefully GR3 will take after its predecessor in this department :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

To be technical, I dont think ip to ip would be the proper term. What we are talkin about is the difference between dedicated servers and the old r6 style of starting up the game and clicking "host". For co-op i agree this good for a couple of friends.... but for large scale multiplayer this simply isn't possible. Dedicated servers are just that dedicated and have no client involved. Except for those who join it. But as I care very little about co-op ...I say let em have it... :blink::thumbsup:

GR used less data to transfer. So there's no comparison really.

If there is no ip to ip.  i wont be playing mp very much.  I hate the dedicated servers if only cause you have no control of who you play with.

Though if we could rent deicated servers like we can with AA....  Now that would be feasible.

Then why dont you just use the dedicated server option to create a game then set a password and tell all your mates to join up. problem solved. That is if you just happen to have a spare computer to run the dedicated server on :whistle:

Respect the GRIN :D

Edited by GhostSniper

IP to IP is good in gr1.

But, if you play mods and, modded missions its get laggy with 5 to 10 players on.

It works well some times but you are so reliant on your band width.

Three or four of you it’s not a problem.

It is said in GRAW some one hosting will need 512 upload speed.

Or turn down many settings to achieve a decent game.

This will be a problem for a lot of us, but not for too long, Grin together with the community will improve this.

This will be very difficult at first, my upload is only 315, but in time as in GR1 things of the hardware nature get better, I remember GR1 being very hard to host in the early days.

As Bo has said this game is not for a short period to be played, but its designed to reach far into the future.