GRAW Audio / Effects questions >>

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got some of these headphones Calius,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...0125164-8133459

turns out I dropped lucky, theres a usb version but the ones I bought have a control box and link in to the 3.5 jackplugs in the soundcard and the control box allows you to link in a 5.1 speaker system if you have one, local shop was selling off Videologic ZXR500's for 25 quid so when the missus is away the speakers are on and when Coronation Street is on I use the medusa's, sound is excellent in them mate.

I got some of these headphones Calius,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...0125164-8133459

turns out I dropped lucky, theres a usb version but the ones I bought have a control box and link in to the 3.5 jackplugs in the soundcard and the control box allows you to link in a 5.1 speaker system if you have one, local shop was selling off Videologic ZXR500's for 25 quid so when the missus is away the speakers are on and when Coronation Street is on I use the medusa's, sound is excellent in them mate.

Nice one Crowman ... damn they are nice & real cheap too, Cher-Ching! Them puppies are in the bag! :yes:

Its like 512MB Graphics cards etc ... a future investment for more powerfull games pushing the boundries.

I know that's what Creative -WANTS- it to be like, but I have my doubts that it is anything like that at all. We've seen good reason to keep bumping up the memory on graphics cards, I have yet to see a good reason to add memory to a sound card. Graphics in games have been improving at a steady pace, sounds have not, or at least not nearly at the same pace.

What I'm asking is essentially from the point of view of someone who actually works on audio for games (desmond), are there really any leaps and bounds left to make with game audio to warrant high spec sound cards with onboard memory? Has there ever been a situation where you wanted to do something with the audio, but couldn't because of technical limitations of current generation audio cards with no onboard memory?

My point is, we've all seen games where the advanced graphics options slow things down and prod you to get a more powerful graphics card with more memory, but I can't say I've ever seen (or heard) a situation where turning on advanced audio features slowed things down for me enough to warrant looking for a new card over my current audigy. I have long suspected that it's more a matter of the software technology involved (EAX version and other sound API's being used) rather than an issue with hardware limitations. A -VERY- different situation than graphics cards.

A question about this Medusa headset. How noticeable is the sound for people around you? With my current headset my wife moans like crazy when I'm playing games late at night - she says she can hear every gunshot and explosion. Is that the case with the Medusa, or does it prevent the sound getting out? (don't know how to phrase it better)

Depends how loud you have the sound up mate, the missus can still hear the sound when she's sitting about 8ft away from me but I dont have them up that loud anyway so I can hear when she demands her cup of tea, if you crank them up though you can feel them vibrating, when something explodes next to you and you've got it on loud its not just your ears that let you know, your whole spine tingles. I get more complaints about talking to people on teamspeak than I do about the sound from the headphones

Its like 512MB Graphics cards etc ... a future investment for more powerfull games pushing the boundries.

I know that's what Creative -WANTS- it to be like, but I have my doubts that it is anything like that at all. We've seen good reason to keep bumping up the memory on graphics cards, I have yet to see a good reason to add memory to a sound card. Graphics in games have been improving at a steady pace, sounds have not, or at least not nearly at the same pace.

What I'm asking is essentially from the point of view of someone who actually works on audio for games (desmond), are there really any leaps and bounds left to make with game audio to warrant high spec sound cards with onboard memory? Has there ever been a situation where you wanted to do something with the audio, but couldn't because of technical limitations of current generation audio cards with no onboard memory?

My point is, we've all seen games where the advanced graphics options slow things down and prod you to get a more powerful graphics card with more memory, but I can't say I've ever seen (or heard) a situation where turning on advanced audio features slowed things down for me enough to warrant looking for a new card over my current audigy. I have long suspected that it's more a matter of the software technology involved (EAX version and other sound API's being used) rather than an issue with hardware limitations. A -VERY- different situation than graphics cards.

I was only using that as an example regarding EAX/Creative cards being to audio as what Graphics cards are to visuals. The off the cuff comment of mine using memory was just a metafore for it, nothing more.

You have a good pair of ears and you want posh ear candy ... then thats basicly it. You want decent graphics you get a decent card ... :thumbsup:

Onboard memory on cards to me seem more in line with music applications and Soundfonts etc, as regards gaming its all about the chip & eax version for extra "whizz bang" & audio realismthough it all helps.

As I said before Ive had an audigy 2 when releases, and it has had a few eax updated that have pushed the chip and so far its still great. To me its like a firmware update where each time there were more subtle enhancements you could notice each update, so as regards an upgrade for me Im not in a rush. If you just simply have no card supporting eax then audigy 2 up will do or have the cash x-fi.

*For those who cringe like im some sort of fan boy - I got the card for its use in music creation - "low latency" - I didnt get it for games. Then I played games on it and then I realised about EAX and was very impressed and wouldnt change back.

- The best example is EAX running with Raven SHield audio switched on max .. superb (Oh no ... sounds like a fan-boy RUNNAWAY! .... :wacko: )

GRiN_desmond22 ....i agree you're a sound guy :D

Dude i'm a bit confused about PC GRAW sound developement, in the sense who's doing what. I'll explain, ok there is PCB Productions (sound productions), Tom Salta (music production, main pc GRAW theme & menu) and of course your good self, so did you work with the other sound producers (a combined effort)?. So is PCB doing the in-game character (scott mitchel etc) voice overs, obviously tom salta is doing the music scores and from what i remember you are doing the weapon sounds, walking running crouching material etc sounds. So did you all work together at some point in the sound production of PC GRAW. Do you like Tom Salta's work, PCB has an amazing studio, i'd love to spend a day in that place, do you have access to such high tech equipment at GRiN HQ sweden. So

Simon Viklund (GR:AW PC sound designer) yes? and Adrian J Fernandez-Lacey (Grin.Inc Sound Engineer) yes?.

Thanks GRiN crew, looking forward to playing your game, oh & thanks UBI.

Trident, unfortunately the Medusa's aren't soundproof but I rarely turn them up loudly enough for my wife or daughter to complain any more. In an RvS match my 8 year old did overhear a few choice words during a heated fire fight from a clan mate :blush: so if my girls are around I turn them down a bit...

Hmm, when viewing the trailer and seeing the airstrika it got me thinking about a couple of questions.

Will the F15 have the beautiful intense rumbling from their engines as they pass by or will we just hear the ordinary swisching sound, and will there be a delay between the strike and the sound when you see bombs exploding over a distance? (Most of us are trying to stay closer than 25m when calling in airstrikes and over 200m the delay in the sound is noticeable)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

i've searched and I can't find this quesion anywhere else.

If you are close to an explosion e.g. a tank firing a large round or some C4 going off, will the effect of the explosion render the nearby characters temporarily unable to hear or see properly? I thought this was a good feature in BF2, if you were next to a tank when it was firing. But I think they forgot to add it to the "arty" as well.

Is there anything like this in GRAW, please?

If you are close to an explosion e.g. a tank firing a large round or some C4 going off, will the effect of the explosion render the nearby characters temporarily unable to hear or see properly? I thought this was a good feature in BF2, if you were next to a tank when it was firing. But I think they forgot to add it to the "arty" as well.

Is there anything like this in GRAW, please?

Bo's answer from GRAW grenades:

- Will the player experience any Raven Shield type screen waviness (visual disorientation), due to loud and close blasts (bombs, frags, artillery, etc.)?

Yes - Not the RS effect but a effect GRAW style.

No mention (or question) of whether or not you will be similarly affected by things other than nearby explosions, though.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

what i would like to ask is this, with all FPS games, devs try to implement natural sound, as we know, one of which is footsteps!

now, on OLD gr i could pinpoint footsteps half a map away (not realistic), even if you were in a building, this is also the case in many new games, AA for example has great sound fx, but....there-in lies the problem, you can hear footsteps a mile away, and pinpoint the OpFor quite easily

even in the OpFor is 3 floors up and 5 rooms acroos from you, you can still pinpoint the enemy, this is a BAD thing, as its not realsitic, if an OpFor is walking stealthily, or in a different room, or with a 5foot thick fortress wall between you and him, you shouldnt be able to hear him!

please could you shed some light on the GRAW aspect of Footsteps please desmond, thankyou for your time!

^I too am interested in this as it is true that in AA you can easily hear people walking a long ways off, and even mess with creative drivers to hear people across the entire map. Hopefully GRAW limits footsteps to a certain distance or something of the like.

hey des, will GRAW support EAX 5.0? I just picked up an X-Fi platinum and a set of turtle beach 5.1 surround headphones. This card is amazing. It makes ######ty quality mp3s sound better than cd and cd's sound better than I've ever heard on any system. I'm reading that when used for gaming the X-Fi with EAX 5.0 can produce 128 sounds per second, while its predecessor, the audigy 2 produces only 64. The difference is like night and day. Just wondering and Thanx again for all the hard work!

Edited by RLCSeMPeRFi

there are a few titles that support it now. BF2 and COD2 to name a couple.

List of games and what version of EAX they support.

Notice that Battlefield 2 is marked as "supporting" the X-fi which means it is supposed to utilize the X-RAM, but the EAX version is listed as 3.0. Call of Duty 2 isn't in the list, oddly enough. Going through that list alone, it's remarkable how few games support EAX 4.0 and NONE listed say anything about EAX 5.0.

Edited by TedSmith