GRAW PC trailer

Indeed, in Scandinavia English is the second language & obligated to learn in school.

Any who I got a question about the sound part for GRiN_desmond22.

Like you said earlier about creative's EAX being used, but have you considered the dark sides of this feature?

For example:

There are certain settings that can be done within the eax console from audigy 2 where you can remove nearly ALL the ambiance from a game and just hear footsteps.

This is a serious issue for the competitive players who want clean match environments.

Seeing as sound plays a major role in games have you guys approached this problem?

Edited by Deosl

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks pretty hot to me.  Question...Is the entire game going to take place in an urban environment?

For the most part, if the 360 version is any indication, yes.

No. You have elevated terrain aswell.

I guess I stand corrected, but what do you mean by 'elevated terrain'? I don't get that.

Uncle Buck your close to right. I read it as only "City". There are parks (read more vegitation and rough terrain) and hillsides with a few lakes and more mud covered grounds. There are no deep jungles, or moutainranges though so that is correct.

I prefer more natural outdoor environments. This is what GR was about in the first place. Seems GRAW will be lacking this. As cool as they were, I don't want to be stuck in the Embassy and Vilnius the whole game. Too bad, I was hoping for a new game. Looks great other than that if you're looking for those kinds of environments.

There is a question I dont find.

Will you be able to peak and move side to side at the same time. Also when you throw a nade, will you be able to run and throw a nade at the same time?

Cuz in GR1 you couldnt do that, and that was very annoying.

Looks great, cant wait. Only problem I see besides the game itself is the much hated copyprotection Ubisoft is going to use on this. I have experienced StarForce problems myself so I'm not lookin forward to installing another game with StarForce :( But that isn't GRIN's problem. Great work :)

Anyone else think with all these GRIN devs here that they are done? ;)

EDIT: Conserning mods, anyone gonna do a totalt GR1 conversion? That would be great!

Edited by CiASpook

only things left to complain about...

star force, need 1 more kit slot for equipment like grenades

oh and mod tools! we will turn this into the [GR] with our own expansion lol :rocky:

Edited by Prozac360

Looks great, cant wait. Only problem I see besides the game itself is the much hated copyprotection Ubisoft is going to use on this. I have experienced StarForce problems myself so I'm not lookin forward to installing another game with StarForce :( But that isn't GRIN's problem. Great work :)

EDIT: Conserning mods, anyone gonna do a totalt GR1 conversion? That would be great!

I'm a bit worried too. I have never had a problem with Starforce until Lockdown. Suddenly I was experiencing random BSOD's not just in Lockdown but in general.

Took me a while to trace the problem but removed the SF drivers 3 weeks ago and my system has been stable since, not one BSOD.

Read through the whole forum topic, and the thing that kinda bothers me a bit is

u need SLI to run widescreen
:wall:

I dont get it..............if u run 1600x1200 u aint running widescreen ,b ut if u run 1680x1050 u are.........and the resolution is less in total.....

So u cant run it at full spec with lets say a 7800GT card orso and a decent cpu (like 3800+ or a fast pentium) ?

Im talking bout a normal resolution these days , like 1600x1200 orso, since we're moving out of that 1280x1024 which was there already with GR1....

thx

-M-

oh yeah by the way i love the GRIN invasion !!!!

TEAM UP GRIN and get ready for a friendly COOP with omega :whistle::o=

Edited by mordred

Fantastic, Just got into work & found this trailer & Been reading this thread for the last 30mins.

Great work guys, I had faith in you way back & my hunch was right. It looks like you guys have deliverd, sadly I can't check out the sound as my boss would know that I'm not working :angry:

Also a big thanks to you Grin guys for popping in & talking to us your answers mean alot & the fact that it appears you have a bit more time now speaks volumes aswell. I'm really looking forward to this & even if I don't make it into the GR.net v Grin match I hope to play you guys online someday. It's funny you've spent years building the ultimate game, the only worthy successor to GR & people pick up & criticise the smallest of things. :yes: Developing can be a thankless job but I hope you guys feel a warm glow as 90% of us absolutley love what you've done.

ps. I've noticed a few peeps asking the same questions, Common guys read the thread before you ask :whistle:

just got to wait now :wall:

I'm a bit worried too. I have never had a problem with Starforce until Lockdown. Suddenly I was experiencing random BSOD's not just in Lockdown but in general.

Took me a while to trace the problem but removed the SF drivers 3 weeks ago and my system has been stable since, not one BSOD.

This area is a concern, considering the increase in problems over the last couple of months, it is however a Ubisoft and Starforce problem.

Grin does not have any say on how the game is packaged and shiped.

Please remember that point.

Cheers Colin

Nice to see all these GRIN members, good that you let them out of their "working-cave" Bo ;)

And this one is for GRiN_desmond22: Its really hard for us to make much of the sound from the released video. The video is in poor quality(resolution wise), and so is the sound. From what you have told us, it seems that you have a keen detail for sound effects, and thats a very very good sign! So keep up the great work (unless you are done that is... :shifty: )

Oh, and the part about the dropped mags fall to the ground, made a warm feeling inside of me..thats the attention to detail I like...(now just dont make them fade away after 10 sec) :yes::yes:

snipp.....

This area is a concern, considering the increase in problems over the last couple of months, it is however a Ubisoft and Starforce problem.

Grin does not have any say on how the game is packaged and shiped.

Please remember that point.

Cheers Colin

As I stated in my post also :) Not GRINs problem. GRIN makes great stuff :) To bad they are swedish...tihi

I dont get it..............if u run 1600x1200 u aint running widescreen ,b ut if u run 1680x1050 u are.........and the resolution is less in total.....

You can't compare a 20" 4:3 screen (1600x1200) with a 20" 16:10 screen (1680x1050). The 20" is the diagonal measurement of the screensize.

What you should compare is the vertical pixels, so a 20" 4:3 screen (1600x1200) should be compared with a 24" widescreen (1920x1200) ... at least in my book :thumbsup:

So u cant run it at full spec with lets say a 7800GT card orso and a decent cpu (like 3800+ or a fast pentium) ?

Im talking bout a normal resolution these days , like 1600x1200 orso, since we're moving out of that 1280x1024 which was there already with GR1....

1280x1024 is not a "normal" resolution - i.e. it's not 4:3 which most CRT resolutions used (1280x960). This resolution was not even common when GR1 came out in 2001, as most LCDs then might have been 15"-17" at the time

The beauty of the GR engine was that it detects the supported screen resolutions for the installed monitor and allows for those resolutions in the Options menu. It is very impressive that Red Storm engineers implemented this feature so many years ago before widescreen monitors even showed up on the horizon.

What you have to remember is that when GR1 came out, even the highest end card at the time (GeForce 3) could NOT run the game smoothly with all options maxed (remember having to turn off shadows?).

We are seeing the same thing with GRAW. You will likely won't be able to run GRAW smoothly at 1600x1200 maxed with a single card until at least the next gen, and you'll need at least 512MB video RAM.

What is amazing is the video footage still looks great despite being at medium settings and no PhysX card used. Also, did anyone notice that the video footage is widescreen aspect ratio :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I am seriously considering getting a PhysX card because of GRAW ...

First off, THANK YOU goes out to the entire GRIN team for their obvious continued effort and consideration of PC fans comments and opinions.  It goes a long way knowing you care to take our concerns and opinions into consideration. 

:notworthy:  :notworthy:

Thanks guys, May cannot come soon enough!

So true.. btw: who let the dogz out?? woof woof, woof woof (ubi)..

GRIN rulez! :thumbsup:

this one is for GRiN_desmond22: Its really hard for us to make much of the sound from the released video. The video is in poor quality(resolution wise), and so is the sound.

Yes indeed, but you can always talk about your expectations in the sound area, indicating at least that you have an interest in the game's sound. I have seen almost none of that in my time lurking these forums. :whistle:

Yes indeed, but you can always talk about your expectations in the sound area, indicating at least that you have an interest in the game's sound. I have seen almost none of that in my time lurking these forums.  :whistle:

a question for you:

- in SP and MP i can hear team mate or enemy walking? it's important for MP tactics

Trailer was simply AWESOME, it restored my hope in a true GR sequel.

I like to share my thoughts and question. (Italic)

Bo.

No MP questions answered yet.

If you change a mag before it's empty does it stay as a partially full mag next time you load it or do you always get full mags until the round are all depleted.

If you decide to remove a clip that is not empty you will lose it. It is not pooled.

I liked the 'dumpbag'  in GR1. Half empty clips were put in a 'dumpbag' when you run out of full clips. The half empty clips were recovered from the dumpbag in the state that they were dumped. When all half empty clips were used you were out of bullets. Soldiers don't throw away half empty clips.

In MP is net code 'as good as' GR1?

Do the heavy support weapons have realistic cones of fire or are they made inaccurate to balance game play. You know people almost never took them in GR1 despite others saying they were realistic.

They are quite usefull and realistic for that matter. Support guns are indeed quite accurate - if you have the right stance and shoot in bursts.

In mp does foliate fade so that those in the distance can see us even if we are trying to use a bush as cover?

I would like to know the answer on this Q to. In GR2 when you were hiding in the grass fully covered. Up close they couldn't see you but at a far distance they saw you. The grass just disapeared. I just don't wanna see this happening in GRAW.

Is the sound nice and crisp so for example if there was an enemy in mp laying on the ground five feet away from you behind and obstacle you didnt know but if he rawled a bit you would hear him?

@cr6:

I know that dude, my 20inch widesc = 17inch height. I just wanted to point out that its bout resolution and not widescreen .......

(1600x1200>1680x1050 , so u have less pixels to fill. It has NOTTIN to do wheter u run widescreen or not, its just the res u wanna look at.

thx for the post though ;)

By the way : I LOVED GR1 adapting to the monitor resolution with his old age of 5 years!!! sublime coding at the time.

Im pretty sure GRiN will still surprise us all in 5years too.........

-M-

The sound is actually something I'm really looking forward to experiencing. It was one of the best features of GR1 and really added to the immersion. I guess it hasn't been mentioned much because it's something we can't really appreciate untill we get our hands on the game/demo ourselves (unless there's some way of providing a good quality 5.1 download ?). The sound so far has been kind of dissapointing but I think that's really down to the quality of the clips not really reflecting what it'll be like in game.

I've noticed Bo dropping a few hints before that the sound is going to something special, and judging by everything else we've seen so far, I think it's safe to trust you on that for now (altough a downloadable clip focusing on the sound would be very nice :) )

The sound is extremely important. Graphics and sound go hand in hand to increase a games immersion. I´m sure we all know FPS where poor weapon sounds made you feel like "what the hell am I shooting with here".

GRiN_desmond22, where you ever at a point where you had to decide that a "realistic" weapon sound sounded too weak and you had to spice it up, or did you do that with enviroment filters. After all a gun shot sounds very different when its fired in a forest compared to an urban/city scene, where a sound of a gunshot is reflected several times?

I watched the trailer maybe a 50 times now and shootout sequence reminds me so much of the Black Hawk Down movie, you can hear the bullets flying, and it "feels" dangerous, and it really shows how much you need to your teammates to lay cover fire for instance.

Edited by agentkay

The sound is extremely important.  Graphics and sound go hand in hand to increase a games immersion.  I´m sure we all know FPS where poor weapon sounds made you feel like "what the hell am I shooting with here". 

GRiN_desmond22, where you ever at a point where you had to decide that a "realistic" weapon sound sounded too weak and you had to  spice it up, or did you do that with enviroment filters. After all a gun shot sounds very different when its fired in a forest compared to an urban/city scene, where a sound of a gunshot is reflected several times?

I watched the trailer maybe a 50 times now and shootout sequence reminds me so much of the Black Hawk Down movie, you can hear the bullets flying, and it "feels" dangerous, and it really shows how much you need to your teammates to lay cover fire for instance.

Indeed, we've been working hard to make the GRAW PC audio profile push the envelope for gaming sound. Considering the game takes place in an urban environment, we have developed sophisticated ways to treat the sound to make the gunshots and other noise behave in a way that really is urban.

Regarding realistic sounds that are too "weak" and need to be mixed to become fatter - happens all the time! The 360 sounds were all made with 3rd person view in mind - so the weapon sound seems slightly muffled since your in-game character is between you (the camera) and the rifle. For GRAW PC we had to mix all the sounds to make you as a player really feel that you're holding that mighty carbine in your own hands! It may have been mentioned before in some developer interview that the bank robbery scene in the movie "Heat" was the model. The sound is BIG!

this one is for GRiN_desmond22: Its really hard for us to make much of the sound from the released video. The video is in poor quality(resolution wise), and so is the sound.

Yes indeed, but you can always talk about your expectations in the sound area, indicating at least that you have an interest in the game's sound. I have seen almost none of that in my time lurking these forums. :whistle:

ok GRiN_desmond22 heres a couple of questions for you c

1) could you tell me a little about what lengths you've gone to to really make it sound realistic. eg. have you a mass of sampled sounds or just a few with filters & effects to make the shots sound out in the open, in allyways, tunnels, hitting stone, Glass, cars, zipping past you ears, hitting flesh, tyres wood etc....

2) is there much music in the game? If so by which artist or did you write it yourself?

3) are there things like interactive radio's etc... I know it's childish but I'd love to turn on a ingame stereo & have some inappropriate music. of course tacticaly it could be a diversion or cover other sounds :whistle:

4) can you tell what your walking on just with your ears? Broken Glass, Grass, Stone slaps, sane etc...

5) Is the music in the choppers?

6) how about wildlife? While sneaking is it possible to disturb Birds? etc.. which might gove your position away?

7) what speaker set up would make a big difference

theres a few questions that came to mind :thumbsup:

Here are my expectations for GRAW-pc. The sound in GR1 was very impressive, just the sound from the first mission in the campaign..where you can hear the wind and the trees ...and the occational flies along with all those small touches that made it all very believable. When wearing headphones, it was like being there if you closed your eyes. Now thats immertion! Besides the ambient sounds, the sounds of the weapons where very well executed as well; when someone opened up for the lead-wall of the m249 it could send a chill down my spine..the sound was that good. You could just hear that the m249 was an evil killing machine :yes:

I would also like to mention the sound of Ravenshield. Although this game never really cought up with me, and had a relatively short life spawn on my harddisk compared to GR, it did something very good; The way the sound was implemented in this game if you had an audigy card was AWESOME. The way the sound could be dampened/twisted/eccoed by walls, small rooms/large rooms, halls, indoor/outdoor etc etc..it all made an impact on how the sound was. It was impressive, very impressive.

These are the sounds that impressed me, and cought my attention, and these are the expectations I have of you and the GRIN team to deliver to us. :thumbsup:

Edited by V.P.