Canadians

magnumkp

I'm thinking of going on holiday to Canadaland for a few weeks in late May/ early June.

Anyone got any super happy fun travel tips? I haven't decided quite were I want to go yet, but I'm leaning towards Vancouver and Calgary (a week in each). That is, unless you can sway me elsewhere.

Thanks in advance.

British Columbia is amazing. Vancouver is alright, nothing sticks out in my mind. I travelled around BC and loved it. The people are just too nice.

Loved it.

God you're making me want to go back.

Vancouver over Calgary. Don't really know to much about either place, but I'd say neither. Instead:

But seriously, if you want to have fun, go to Montréal. It's amazing. I've got a bunch of friends at McGill Uni there and they all love it. I went down to visit, and was blown away by the sheer amount of stuff to do (even if most involved drinking/partying). The nightlife is probably the best in Canada. It's a great place to get away to.

Maybe Quebec City for a day or so too? Never been myself, but i've heard it's really pretty.

I highly recomend Toronto also, but i'm a little biased. There's a ton of stuff to do in Toronto. The nightlife is huge, but probably not as great as Montréal. If you go, check out Kensington Market, the Annex area, Young St., the Beaches area, Queen st. West., St. Lawrence Market on sat., go to some of the great record stores.

If any of this has caught your attention, I can give you some more details. I'm sorry, i don't really know that much about Calgary or Van.

Depends if you're into nature or shopping/nightlife. As above, Toronto and Montreal have more urban attractions, history etc (however, Canada's urban history isn't much compared to Europe though).

However, you can't beat the Rockies close to Calgary or the beautiful coast around Vancouver. I think for a Brit, you may find the West more gratifying (i.e. different than Europe) and people there friendlier (no offense to ppl in Toronto, but this is true)

You won't go wrong travelling East or West. Looks like you'll have to make 2 trips ;)

Check out lots of travel reviews/resources online.

Depends if you're into nature or shopping/nightlife. As above, Toronto and Montreal have more urban attractions, history etc (however, Canada's urban history isn't much compared to Europe though).

However, you can't beat the Rockies close to Calgary or the beautiful coast around Vancouver. I think for a Brit, you may find the West more gratifying (i.e. different than Europe) and people there friendlier (no offense to ppl in Toronto, but this is true)

You won't go wrong travelling East or West. Looks like you'll have to make 2 trips ;)

Check out lots of travel reviews/resources online.

I won't argue. You're right about Toronto people. we often don't say hi to others if we pass 'em on the street. There are great people in Toronto, it's just they all kinda hide/chill in a handfull of sweet places. Coming out to Halifax was a bit of a culture shock. Everyone was so... friendly.

My money still goes to Montreal/Toronto. But yes, for natural scenery, west coast.

If you like to drink,go to Toronto. Otherwise,T.O.sucks. If you prefer "other" forms of impairment,go to Vancouver. Banff is nice,but it's a tourist trap. The scenery on the left coast is amazing and the girls are friendly. Just be careful of the drivers in Vancouver,they're nuts.(disclaimer: I lived there for 25 years)

Edited by Billy Bongwater

I'm thinking of going on holiday to Canadaland for a few weeks in late May/ early June.

Anyone got any super happy fun travel tips? I haven't decided quite were I want to go yet, but I'm leaning towards Vancouver and Calgary (a week in each). That is, unless you can sway me elsewhere.

Thanks in advance.

I live here, but its nothing special. -200 degrees celcius all year round, and i dont know if an american would enjoy living in an igloo. We get a foot of snow every night.

That was sarcasm, but of course you knew that. I havent been out west, but i live in niagara falls, and it is a really cool place. Lots of tourism here.

I've lived in Montreal all my life and, while I have seen the occasional -40 arctic invasion in the january/february slog, I have been through at least as many summer days where it has been TOO hot. Probably the humidity, and the greenhouse effect in the city, but I can recall far more +40 days than -40 days. Guess that's not changing soon.

For the record, the coldest day I've ever experienced was skiing on Mont Ste. Anne at -50 C. Yeah, that sucked.

If anyone is still looking for Canadian travel advice, allow me to suggest this- Montreal beats Toronto and Vancouver hands down for affordability. Truth is, this town is still bohemian (read: Poor) enough to be hella cheap. And as for West Coast "alternative impairment" superiority.... :whistle:

But it's all good, except the 95% that's uninhabitable hinterland :P

PS- I almost forgot, Montreal is the undisputed (by me) North American Capital of Hot Women. Men too, I guess. This is true for several reasons: 1) French population base 2) Rainbow of immigration (all kinds of good) 3) Four universities 4) European fashion (and morals). There's the surplus of strippers/naked professionals too, though I can't figure if that's cause or effect.

Add those up, toss in some post-hibernation summer madness (summer=more grass than snow) and you've got a recipe for whiplash and heart palpitations. Think I'll go outside now :blink:

Edited by mob

Haha, thanks mob. What does concern me about Montreal is my lack of French speaking abilities. Would it cause too much trouble. The best I can do is fromage lapin anglais so unless I'm in a very niche food store I could be messed up.

PS- I almost forgot, Montreal is the undisputed (by me) North American Capital of Hot Women. Men too, I guess. This is true for several reasons: 1) French population base  2) Rainbow of immigration (all kinds of good) 3) Four universities 4) European fashion (and morals). There's the surplus of strippers/naked professionals too, though I can't figure if that's cause or effect.

so true it hurts. Montreal is starting to realize they're quite fit, "they're fit but they know it." Despite this, everyone is still pretty nice and approachable there. :thumbsup:

Montreal also has the best dressed people in the county on average. They always just look good. Fun times to be had.

I lived in T.O most of my life and moved to Halifax for shcool this year. The weather hear is unbelievable. Snowstorms. Brutal Cold. Rain. Sunny. Grey. Everything. Often completely an random. Freezing one day, sunny and warm the next.

Haha, thanks mob. What does concern me about Montreal is my lack of French speaking abilities. Would it cause too much trouble. The best I can do is fromage lapin anglais so unless I'm in a very niche food store I could be messed up.

No worries. I'm an anglo myself, and rarely have to use French (though it never hurts to try). Keep in mind that Montreal is very cosmopolitan, and very much a tourist town in the summer, so most of the people you deal with will have at least functional English. Read up on Quebec cursing, though. While not necessary, it is immensely satisfying (mon sacre crisse de calvaire de calisse en tabernac!).

ha, no asterixes!

Edited by mob

Montreal: Been there, loved it, beautiful, nice people, good times...hope to go back there (brother might even be moving there)

I live an hour south of Toronto so its not like a huge place to me but theres attractions such as The Hockey Hall of Fame and the CN Tower. I've been to Halifax a few times as well...it was in the winter so unless you ski there wasn't much to do i found, also since i'm not legal drinking age :P

As for the west coast, i hear BC is beautiful...i'm hoping to spend a few weeks there a few summers from now hopefully

Where ever you choose hope you enjoy it :thumbsup:

I've been to Halifax a few times as well...it was in the winter so unless you ski there wasn't much to do i found, also since i'm not legal drinking age  :P

indeed. Don't suppose you wanna go to Halifax really. It's all about awesome music/bands/concerts and drinking. A University town if I ever saw one.

Have fun though, wherever you decide to go. Good ol' Canada's a great place to be. :thumbsup:

I just cannot sit in silence and let one of my bro get himself killed or seriously injured. magnumkp, should you decide to travel to Canada.. hem.. maybe there is something you should know.

You probly never heard of this due to governmental censorship and because it is taboo to talk about this in Canada. I will for the first time break the silence surrounding this horrific Canadian secret.

Canada is plague by a biological entity known by the Indian name Wagapini (he who attack, dismember and eat people).

orignal5pn.jpg

And no, that beast does not live only in the forest dude. 538 499 people last year in Canada got devoured by this enormous creature. 272 822 of these victims were tourist that did not know how to protect them selves from this beast. 2517 of them in Montréal alone.

Fortunately for you, I have come across this topic and I’m willing to help you survive your trip to Canada and not become a statistic. You see, the Wagapini doesn’t like the smell of beer but is attracted by perfume (all kinds), so just fallow these simple guide lines:

1. Don’t take a shower or bath for at least 4 weeks before coming to Canada

2. Drink as many beers as you possibly can.

3. Wear many layers of clothing, to look big.

Good luck and be careful man

:bye:

I just cannot sit in silence and let one of my bro get himself killed or seriously injured. magnumkp, should you decide to travel to Canada.. hem.. maybe there is something you should know.

You probly never heard of this due to governmental censorship and because it is taboo to talk about this in Canada. I will for the first time break the silence surrounding this horrific Canadian secret.

Canada is plague by a biological entity known by the Indian name Wagapini (he who attack, dismember and eat people).

orignal5pn.jpg

And no, that beast does not live only in the forest dude. 538 499 people last year in Canada got devoured by this enormous creature. 272 822 of these victims were tourist that did not know how to protect them selves from this beast. 2517 of them in Montréal alone.

Fortunately for you, I have come across this topic and I’m willing to help you survive your trip to Canada and not become a statistic. You see, the Wagapini doesn’t like the smell of beer but is attracted by perfume (all kinds), so just fallow these simple guide lines:

1. Don’t take a shower or bath for at least 4 weeks before coming to Canada

2. Drink as many beers as you possibly can.

3. Wear many layers of clothing, to look big.

Good luck and be careful man

:bye:

Yeah, tell me about it, theyre getting pretty bad this season. I saw a few of em already this year. :yes:

No worries. I'm an anglo myself, and rarely have to use French (though it never hurts to try). Keep in mind that Montreal is very cosmopolitan, and very much a tourist town in the summer, so most of the people you deal with will have at least functional English. Read up on Quebec cursing, though. While not necessary, it is immensely satisfying (mon sacre crisse de calvaire de calisse en tabernac!).

ha, no asterixes!

Watch it Mob,

No swear words on forums .

:lol:

*Not bad.You just need lil practice and youll be fine

:rofl: