3d Stuio Max 5

Sgt. Atoa

The world of MAX is a painfull one lol

It sure is, but there are many great people here who helped me through learning max, and I thank them very much. I am sure they will do the same for you too if you have some questions here and there. I have never read the Max bible, but tons of people think its great. Good luck with max

The Max bible is indeed a good piece of reading but it's in no way needed to learn how to model. It's more a compilation of all the tools available in 3dsm, most of who isn't used when modding GR. It doesn't really go into any depth of how to create your meshes nor does it teach you what tool to use where. All it does is hint at what the tools are good at doing.

I'd say instead of going out and buying it just sit down with the program and start out slow by modeling something simple, don't start out trying to recreate the Sistine Chapel or something similar becauset that will only frustrate you. As you get more familiar with the tools at hand your modeling skill will improve rather quickly.

The Max bible is indeed a good piece of reading but it's in no way needed to learn how to model. It's more a compilation of all the tools available in 3dsm, most of who isn't used when modding GR. It doesn't really go into any depth of how to create your meshes nor does it teach you what tool to use where. All it does is hint at what the tools are good at doing.

I'd say instead of going out and buying it just sit down with the program and start out slow by modeling something simple, don't start out trying to recreate the Sistine Chapel or something similar becauset that will only frustrate you. As you get more familiar with the tools at hand your modeling skill will improve rather quickly.

I agree - to a point. I just used the various tutorials available on GR.net and other sites and just dove in. But many of us are not only learning to use a 3d modeling program, but learning the basics 3d modeling and the technical terminology. I had zero experience with anything remotely similar to 3d modeling. I'm a database guy and build data warehouses for a living - but 3d modeling was completely foreign to me.

I've found the Max Bible to be a well organized source of reference. And, since it can be found in many bookstores and websites at discounted prices its still not a bad idea to have a copy around.

As far as books go, I would suggest going down to the local library and taking a peek at the Max books there.

The Max bible tends to go into a little detail of every tool in Max, but some others with titles like "Max for n00bs, a step by step guide" (for example :rofl: ) cover only the most basic tools, but go into more depth, with examples, tutorials etc

As far as books go, I would suggest going down to the local library and taking a peek at the Max books there.

The Max bible tends to go into a little detail of every tool in Max, but some others with titles like "Max for n00bs, a step by step guide" (for example  :rofl: ) cover only the most basic tools, but go into more depth, with examples, tutorials etc

Thanks for the suggestion

As SnowFella said the book is not all necesary but I would like to have one so I can familiarize with the program in a easier way before I try something like a map

First question

I managed to do the sherman level and the scene center in max

but I have a doubt.... Mikes tutorial show both inside the squares

it this a rule to put them inside the squares or aling above the square?

Im having trouble with Mikes tutorial because my version is 5 and his is 3.1

The scenecenter box should be a X=0, Y=0, Z=0

The shemanlevelheight1.0 should be set near the center at Z=0 or below.

Also you only need shermanlevelheight1.0 if your map is going to have more than one height level.

Another problem

For some reason my box (Room) is 5 times bigger or more than grids below as per Mike tutorial, I made de box 5x5x3.20 but when i finished that i cant see the gridsbecause de box cover all the area

Did I have something wrong with my setup? :wall::wall:

You have an infinate amount of space in a scene. The viewports can me manipulated with the bottom right toolbar, If you need more space, zoom out, or you can use arc rotate to get a different angle to objects in the scene. Press the cube button in that toolbar to center the viewport on your "room". You will also want to change your units from cm to m when modding maps.

Don't woory about the grids, because they can be altered or eeven turned off. Maybe Mike's grid is different sized.

You can change your grid size (the size of each square) by going to Customise > Grid and Snap settings... > "Home grid" tab. Or right-click the Snap toggle button(looks like a magnet). Right click the top left corner of each viewport window to turn off the grid.

Thanks for all the help

Im using Mikes as a reference

One question

I alredy made the doorway and deleted one of the faces and detach the other one

Its normal that from room 1 can see room 2 but from room 2 cant see room1

Well back to tutorial (Portals and grouping) :wall:

One question

I alredy made the doorway and deleted one of the faces and detach the other one

Its normal that from room 1 can see room 2 but from room 2 cant see room1

Yes when you're in 3D Studio.

No if you're in the game. ;)

Yes, you can export without textures. Untextured objects will turn up white in the game.

You can do a door, but it's not required.

A portal works fine (if tagged properly) with or without a door.

Edited by deleyt

My suggestion is to very briefly get to know texturing in 3ds max, and quickly do a quick texturing job. It dosent have to look good, but 1, you get to learn how to do basic texturing and 2, you dont get eye hurtingly white objects in game. And when we mean they will turn out white in game, we really mean white, ie you cant see where your going white. :)

For some reason if a choose lets say box 1 and apply texture to de walls

it wont show the texture the wall turned gray also my floor dont even turn gray by the way I was using a playwood texture

I tried to export without textures and I got one error wich I dont remember right now about the portal

I was ready to try the map in game anyway but The Wife was lets say a little angry about my new hobbie lol

For some reason if a choose lets say box 1 and apply texture to de walls

it wont show the texture the wall turned gray also my floor dont even turn gray by the way I was using a playwood texture

I tried to export without textures and I got one error wich I dont remember right now about the portal

I was ready to try the map in game anyway but The Wife was lets say a little angry about my new hobbie lol

Make sure you have the "View Texture Map" turned on

Link