Prepping for Ghost Recon THree (help)

Hey guys, I thought I make this topic here, can you guys help me out?

I have a radeon 8500, it has been so good playing even new games on full settings or good ass qaulity, but its time to upgrade.

When I tested to see if my computer can handle ghost recon 3, it passed everytest above minimum except video card. So I'm looking to get this card, here

Sapphire ATI Radeon X1600Pro 256MB DVI/VGA/TV-out PCI-Express Video Card

https://www.ewiz.com/desc.php?name=AT-X1600P

But someone told me that I have to have PCIE port in my computer to use this card, hell! I'm no computer buff, I have no idea what PCIE is, but I'm able to provide this

untitled243fq.png

What is PCI? does this mean I can get this card still? I chose it because it can run full settings and is selling at REALY good price.

If I can't get this card, please tell me what card I can get (Preferably ATI) that can run the game on full settings with out being over 150 bucks.

I know for a fact I have AGP, do they make the card I want in AGP? why don't they design it for all three =x, it limits thier market doesn't it?

Edited by XenoSoft

If you have AGP, then it is unlikey you have a PCI-E slot, as only recently could get you get a mobo that featured both.

Your best bet is probably to do what I am going to do, upgrade to the latest AGP card just before GRAW PC is released. There is a new one just out, but I forget which one right now, I'll need to look back my e-mails/magazines.

stop by here and look at the left of your screen:

see the SLOT TYPES?

These is how the graphic cards will fit on your mobo. ( I will be corrected on this issue, watch <_< )

Since we're selecting AGPs this are your choices. Still too many huh?

Suggest going 256MB installed memory. here are your choices

Then you have the ultimate team choice: going ATI or NVidia Geforce.

This is the beginning of many ppls opinion and heated posting :rofl:

My two cents is on BFG Technologies GeForce 7800 GS OC Video Card

MANY MORE PPL will tell you what are your other choices.

Just sit and watch.

Continued Computer Discussion will here

you can still get the majority of cards in AGP, as a huge part of the market doesn't have PCIe.

they dont really make PCI cards anymore because they are rubbish, PCI slots are used for things like modems,wireless cards, sound cards etc.

i think you'll find it hard to get a card for that money that will play the game reasonably at high settings, you might just have to settle for medium settings ;)

a few things i found from a well priced uk website.

BFG GeForce 7800 GS OC 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-016-BG) £223

XFX GeForce 6800 GS Extreme XT Edition 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (PVT40B-UDD3) (GX-065-XF) £165

XFX GeForce 6600 GT 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP) - Retail (PVT43AUDF6) (GX-044-XF) £129

Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 GTO 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-122-SP) £135

PowerColor ATI Radeon X850 XT 256MB DDR3 VIVO TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-058-PC) £187

looking at it AGP wise which is what you most likely have, nvidia is offering you better choices....if you are an ATI fanboy go for the x800 i say.

EDIT

what ive posted are good cards that would run it at the settings you want, looking at the currency rate you want to spend 85 pounds, that might be enough to get you a 6600GT 128MB on ebay or such like, i have it and its a good card, doubt it will run GRAW at high settings though!

also check out the specs of cards because a card might have features but it may not be fast which is what you need for gaming, the nvidia fx series is a good example, lots of features but poor performance in game compared to other cards

Edited by babydave

Suggest going 256MB installedmemory.

why not go 512? i know they have agp viedo cards that have 512 as that is what i ahve (might only be a nevida GeForce 6800 but i got that for $200 and it should be good for a year or two befor i have to get a new card)

Your best bet is probably to do what I am going to do, upgrade to the latest AGP card just before GRAW PC is released.

Thats exactly what I'm doing, I'll be trading in my 6600GT 128MB for something a little meatier...7800GS...OR.............6800GS

Until I upgrade to PCI-E next year this will do as I overclock...........

I would like to say thank you to all who helped me, I just installed my Video Card

( Radeon X1600PRO 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card)

-Test Results-

38sb.gif

Here is a visual update from me, by the way This card is rated as "more than enough for GRAW PC" So I expect it last for at least 6 years for me. Anyway here it is.

----Radeon 8500(Old Card I had )-----

17ib.png

----Radeon X1600PRO(New Card )-----

21vo.png

Thank you again for all your help, this topic done I guess.

AF means Ansiotropic Filtering, it makes textures in the distance sharp, especially low angle textures like the ground. There are different levels of AF, 4, 8 and 16, with level 16 having the highest performance penalty but offering the best texture filtering quality.

I´m not exactly sure where you force it with ATI cards (maybe someone else can help you there better) but it should be in the control panel or CCC (ATIs command control center) where you can adjust the AF levels. Again, the settings should be "application controlled, 4AF, 8AF, 16AF" select 16AF and start the game. You might have to disable the filtering setting in the "ingame settings" to see the full 16AF effect as many games don´t like "forced AF or AA settings" (in the control panel/CCC) AND at the same time different AF or AA "ingame" settings.

A short rule when it comes to setting AA and AF:

1) If a game has AA/AF settings "ingame", use THESE settings and leave the AA/AF control panel settings to "application-controlled".

2) If a game doesn´t have "ingame" AA/AF settings, you can force them in the control panel to your desired/prefered level.

3) Enabling "ingame AA/AF" and forcing AA/AF in the control panel at THE SAME TIME, is asking for trouble like artifacts, or loss of performance. If you enable them at one place (ingame or control panel) you need to disable them in the other place.

Edited by agentkay

I would like to say thank you to all who helped me, I just installed my Video Card

-Test Results-

38sb.gif

Here is a visual update from me, by the way This card is rated as "more than enough for GRAW PC" So I expect it last for at least 6 years for me. Anyway here it is.

17ib.png

21vo.png

BF2 looks good on your X1600PRO, about the same as my X1800XT ss.

1280 X 1024 @60HZ, High settings and 4 X AA: CCC 6.3 factory default.

bf220060323mec5fl.th.jpgbf2200603236rv.th.jpg

I second Ledanek's good advice.  Peformance will help you win a match more than nice scenery.

Doesn´t mean that its bad to educate people what their hardware might be capable of doing, right? ;) I´ve seen so many PC gamers over the years who didn´t even know what AF and AA do, that I started to think that the video card manufacturers wasted resources by adding these features in the first place. lol Xenosoft can always switch it back if he doesn´t like it or can´t deal with the performance penalty. ;)

The pro is a cutdown card, the 1600 series are the worst choice you could have made. You better had bought yourself either a x1800xt, x1900xt or 7600gt, 7900gt oer 7900gtx. This card won't do you much good for the newer games. Really, you should have researched your stuff more:

www.anandtech.com and such.

Cheers

-Test Results-

38sb.gif

17ib.png

21vo.png

BF2 looks good on your X1600PRO, about the same as my X1800XT ss.

1280 X 1024 @60HZ, High settings and 4 X AA: CCC 6.3 factory default.

bf220060323mec5fl.th.jpgbf2200603236rv.th.jpg

XenoSoft, what monitor or lcd/tft are you using may i ask. The X1600PRO ss looks really good and clear. Hear is another ss i took, and i still think your ss looks better, clearer. I'm using a viewsonic vp171b-2 dvi-d.

1280X1024@60HZ, High settings, 100% view distance, 4X AA:+16X AF:, Adaptive Anti-aliasing=Quality. Lol, in places my framerate dropped under 20fps, i'm sure in places it dropped to around 12fps haha. Mind you i had 44 processes running in the background as well, heh heh.

bf220060323185837096xt.th.jpg