How do multiplayer servers work with consoles?

Rocky

With a PC to play online you either host a game locally on your machine and gamers join your IP and you computer runs the game, or you join a remote server dedicated to just running the game for anyone who joins.

How does it work with a console? I read something somewhere about the way the PS3 might be doing things, I have no idea how the 360 does it. Does Msoft run game servers for all the multiplayer titles, or do people (indeed CAN people) host their own games on their consoles?

:stupid:

People can host their own games.

Microsoft does do a lot of stuff on their side, and for several extremely popular -cough-halo-cough- games, they have lines open for that game only. They also run the marketplace, keep track of all of the friends, host the messages, etc, etc,.

But other than that, all hosting in client-side. (i.e., if there's no one hosting a game of GRAW, then no one's going to get to play.)

Depending on the game you're playing, you may not be able to just join an IP or favorite server.

It works PC style on some games, but other games like Halo are entirely random matching, save when playing with friends comes into it.

It also comes down to the Dev's of the game also if they want to add a server.

There have been a number of games where they well host there own servers. (Blackhawk Down, Far Cry, BF2) just to name afew. Yet for the most part it is like gamespy where we all sign in on a home server, but still have full control on who makes the rooms. Yet when it comes to EA they like to force you into any room and can't host half the time, but so far EA is the only one thats gone over board on this.

EA are a bunch of modern-day Nazis. It sucks that they've acquired so many good publishers.

I really wish that they could have stayed independent, and not have been forced into stupid compromises with EA.

Thank God they didn't acquire Ubisoft or RSE. I think I might have shot myself in the head, had they suceeded.

I have some friends that work for EA and I think that the EA upper management has the idea ingrained into them that every game can be built like one of their sports games. So when they buy an independent, they strip it of its corporate culture by consolidating it into one of their mega studios and then ram an unrealistic production schedule down the throat of the production team. They also have a bad habit of upping the team size in the hopes that the project can be done faster. "If we have 50 programmers then 100 could do the work of 50 in half the time. Brilliant" This often results in groups working on the exact same issues multiple times. When large teams are working like this the communications and management has to increase to effectively task the teams to prevent overlap. This doesnt happen and you get games like Pacific Assault, Rising Sun, Catwoman, The Godfather etc...etc

EA are a bunch of modern-day Nazis. It sucks that they've acquired so many good publishers.

I really wish that they could have stayed independent, and not have been forced into stupid compromises with EA.

Thank God they didn't acquire Ubisoft or RSE. I think I might have shot myself in the head, had they suceeded.