Mod Announcement - ARVN

Rebar

First, only the server has to turn on the mods in the right order, GR will automatically load the mods for the people joining, so it's no biggie. Well, for most people it's no biggie. You don't have to turn on an opfor mod either, which will give you the NVA enemy.

Next, yes they are stock maps, obviously you have no idea the amount of work it takes to make a map. And I took the stock missions and added random elements. If that's not challenging enough, well don't play those missions. It's a skin and weapons mod, I threw in the missions as a bonus.

If anyone has some constructive critism and/or bug reports, I'll be releasing the final version this Friday, speak up before then.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, only  the server has to turn on the mods in the right order, GR will automatically load the mods for the people joining, so it's no biggie. Well, for most people it's no biggie. You don't have to turn on an opfor mod either, which will give you the NVA enemy.

Next, yes they are stock maps, obviously you have no idea the amount of work it takes to make a map. And I took the stock missions and added random elements. If that's not challenging enough, well don't play those missions. It's a skin and weapons mod, I threw in the missions as a bonus.

If anyone has some constructive critism and/or bug reports, I'll be releasing the final version this Friday, speak up before then.

Tks a lot for the explain and I appreceate all the work you done with 'YOTM'

I was expecting that you will take the same maps(I mean the YOTM ones) for the ARVN missions.But I don't make maps 'you have no idea the amount of work it takes to make a map' hey I was just disapoint a beat sry about that.

Just keep on your good work you can't please all anyway!

Still waiting for feedback, or is it perfect? I'm highly doubting it's perfect, so you all get busy and test it already!

Kudos to the mod team. :thumbsup: RL has limited my time with the mod but I haven't had any probs with any of the skins or missions that I've tried so far. [bTW, try the Cuban beach house mission (ARVN 10) with VC OPFOR & you have proof Charlie DOES surf. Or they at least have surfboards.] :D

I've read the replies and I've worked on many mod projects during the past 3 years (mainly with Sixpence & Jack57) so I know the time & trouble spent even putting a "simple" skin mod together. Anyway, here are a couple thoughts:

- I think many folks thought they'd be able to play as ARVN, ANZACs, etc. against the NVA / VC in YOTM. Considering the many different skin mods, folks like to try out new camo & weps.

- Activating an Allied OPFOR skin should convert the player to VC or NVA. Sure its eye candy but its also a mind set. You are now the "enemy" or rather the local VC freedom fighter fighting for his homeland against the round eye aggressors (blah, blah, blah). Something just isn't right about wearing OD green and shooting your former allies.

And no I'm not a VC sympathizer. Actually I'm a Vietnam-era vet which I'm sure is pre-history for many of you. ;)

duke i joined up right after vietnam,and in to the cold war.

I did 24 years ... mainly surface, flying, & subs mostly in the Caribbean, CENTAM, SOAM, SEAsia & the PAC.

those US uniforms bring back memories.excellant work! :thumbsup:

To all those concerned, I'm sure "gulf01" meant excellent work to the mod team. I don't wish to claim credit as I wasn't involved in this project; but I agree excellent work guys. :thumbsup:

Activating an Allied OPFOR skin should convert the player to VC or NVA.

I wish that were possible, but the GR engine doesn't allow it. Which is why I had to come up with the OPFOR mini-mods to change the AI enemies. It sucks that the server has to go down so that the OPFOR mod can be activated, but it's the only way to go about it.

I wish that were possible, but the GR engine doesn't allow it. Which is why I had to come up with the OPFOR mini-mods to change the AI enemies. It sucks that the server has to go down so that the OPFOR mod can be activated, but it's the only way to go about it.

Rebar, contact me about this...I got an idea :devil:

Rebar, contact me about this...I got an idea  :devil:

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with MP :( but I definitely know its possible, but a drawn out process, in SP. :thumbsup: I worked with Jack57 on Brothers in Arms where the player was a rebel in Panama fighting against the Ghosts. With the YOTM team's approval, its basically replacing the standard soldier CHRs with the VC CHRs, creating new ATRs, providing the proper kits (AK-47s, SKS, RPGs, etc), and slapping the respective RSBs in the right place. If this was done as a separate mod, you could actually play VC against your OPFOR Allied troops. To be honest, I did a little "unofficial" experiment :whistle: and it works though its only eye candy right now since the VC still speak in English (but that could be updated too). To save time I copied the VC CHRs and renamed them using the YOTM CHR names (that way I didn't have to redo any of the standard ATRs). The soldiers did show up in the VC skins but because the CHR used "default" heads, every now & then you'd get a VC with a grunt cover, etc and naturally they all had non-Viet names. IMO, it would be best to have the VC CHRs select a specific head, rather than default, to make sure you don't get any round eyes. :lol:

If this was done as a separate mod, you could actually play VC against your OPFOR Allied troops.

I'm confused by what you mean.

If you want to play the NVA or VC in MP, all you have to do is activate one of the allied (RoK, ARVN, or US) OPFOR sets, then in the server options choose the NVA or VC coop sets.

Ok, here's the final version:

arvn.jpg

Filefront - ARVN Version 1

Version 1 includes the gridded command maps for the YotM maps, and it now shows up on the YotM launcher.

Install notes:

unzip into your mods directory, if it asks you to overwrite click yes. Make sure you read the readme.txt for instructions on how to use it

Edited by Rebar