What doyou think the Dev cost is for GRAW?

At 60 large per pop UBI just made about 21 million dollars on the XBox release of GRAW. i remember Halo2 made over a hundred mill on first weekends releas. So i guess they must have covered their dev costs.

Do you think 21 mil covered RSE's dev costs for GRAW lunchie?

What about GRIN's dev cost for GRAW PC? Anyone care to guess at that (Bo, you're not allowed to play) hehe.

Whatever payment deal GRIN have with UBI i hope its a good one. I wonder if Bo will be driving a Ferrari in May.

At 60 large per pop UBI just made about 21 million dollars on the XBox release of GRAW.  i remember Halo2 made over a hundred mill on first weekends releas. So i guess they must have covered their dev costs.

Do you think 21 mil covered RSE's dev costs for GRAW lunchie?

What about GRIN's dev cost for GRAW PC? Anyone care to guess at that (Bo, you're not allowed to play) hehe.

Whatever payment deal GRIN have with UBI i  hope its a good one. I wonder if Bo will be driving a Ferrari in May.

For the console version of GRAW my conservative estimate for development costs is about......*works some figures on a calculator*.......about $13.50. :thumbsup:

isn't GRIN's HQ in sweden or some ######? why would he ride an american POS like a harley when he can go euro?

Absolutely. He must drive a Volvo.

Man you guys are outta touch. Really, really, rich people don't drive they are driven. He probably has a 4 door super strech Mini-Cooper with a driver, satalite dish (internet and TV), rocket launchers, and of course... a personal masuse.

Guys, things don't work that way. Ubi didn't make $21million last week they *sold* 21 million dollars worth of product. For a $60 game, Ubi (any publisher for that matter) probalby sees $20.. maybe a little more, depends on how distribution is set up.

Then you need to take marketing, which is A LOT, and other overhead into account. I have no idea what they spent on development, but most big developers and publishers these days have teams of 150 people for 2 years on games like these. It takes a hell of a lot more than 300,000 (think closer to 900,000 - 950,000) odd units to break even on development costs, let alone make a profit.

Then you have the case of a 3rd party developing a title and they work off of a fixed contract cost and with any luck some form of royalty that kicks in long after the publisher had made thier money back.

This is a tough business and enev tougher for the independent guys like GRIN.... maybe not, I don't know them personally.... so I wouldn't be shouting Ferrari too loud. Very few developers actually get rich these days. Lot's of publishers do, but that's a whole different story. :P

Guys, things don't work that way. Ubi didn't make $21million last week they *sold* 21 million dollars worth of product. For a $60 game, Ubi (any publisher for that matter) probalby sees $20.. maybe a little more, depends on how distribution is set up.

Then you need to take marketing, which is A LOT, and other overhead into account. I have no idea what they spent on development, but most big developers and publishers these days have teams of 150 people for 2 years on games like these. It takes a hell of a lot more than 300,000 (think closer to 900,000 - 950,000) odd units to break even on development costs, let alone make a profit. 

Then you have the case of a 3rd party developing a title and they work off of a fixed contract cost and with any luck some form of royalty that kicks in long after the publisher had made thier money back.

This is a tough business and enev tougher for the independent guys like GRIN.... maybe not, I don't know them personally.... so I wouldn't be shouting Ferrari too loud. Very few developers actually get rich these days. Lot's of publishers do, but that's a whole different story.  :P

yeh but the cost of development of original content is shared as normally there is no changes to textures/sound fx/music/cut scenes/models/maps etc. so with PC XBOX360 and PS2 being common atm, the only sensible way to compose the figures would be to add all sales profits and all development costs together, which will obviously give the true figure and as the development costs are shared 3 ways thats a lot of profit!!!!!!!

problem is it's like a big huge poker game, the buyin to play is about 300 000 - 600 000 on a typical title, most of that is salaries and the majority of the rest is on advertising and promotion, thats a lot of money to gamble and getting it wrong once has put some significant players out the game, thats why the giants are taking over as only EA Games and the likes can afford to take the risks

Edited by JavaByte_71

yeh but the cost of development of original content is shared as normally there is no changes to textures/sound fx/music/cut scenes/models/maps etc. so with PC XBOX360 and PS2 being common atm, the only sensible way to compose the figures would be to add all sales profits and all development costs together, which will obviously give the true figure and as the development costs are shared 3 ways thats a lot of profit!!!!!!!

problem is it's like a big huge poker game, the buyin to play is about 300 000 - 600 000 on a typical title, most of that is salaries and the majority of the rest is on advertising and promotion, thats a lot of money to gamble and getting it wrong once has put some significant players out the game, thats why the giants are taking over as only EA Games and the likes can afford to take the risks

That pretty much sums it up, except in the last generation, the assets were not as easily shared. That is changing this generation of games though as they are a lot more in line with each other right now.

The over all point being that games are EXPENSIVE to make these days any way you look at it. More so for the consoles as MS, Sony and Nintendo require a licensing fee just to publish a game for thier system. That is usually around $10 per copy.

That is not even mentioning the cost of the development kits to make the dang things. :thumbsup:

-John

The over all point being that games are EXPENSIVE to make these days any way you look at it. More so for the consoles as MS, Sony and Nintendo require a licensing fee just to publish a game for thier system. That is usually around $10 per copy.

I can believe it, all consoles these days are given away at almost half the value of the production value of each unit.

So they've got to make their money somewhere.

Development costs are constantly increasing as the consumer demands more and more gumph (for want of a better word), trouble is they are reluctant to pay for it :)

Ha that poster is cool. Is that Bo?

Wow Jason i didnt know the console companies get as high as 10 bucks per sold game. That's a massive chunk of the cash that's spent on games. No wonder they dump their machines.

Yeah i was only joking about the Ferarri, that was in the day of the break out hit games of the early 80's when a spotty kid could make it in his bedroom and make millions.

It's weird though how movies love to tout their budgets and revenue but games rarely do unless it has some marketing value in it.

So why dont most use a system like Valve's 'Steam'. Surely there are virtually no costs there except maintaining the system. The publisher and dev house get a bigger slice then. No packaging or storage, transportation, retail slice etc.