Question for Serellan on 5.56 vs. 6.8 vs. 7.62

Moezter

Though the question wasn't posed to me, I've got some knowledge on the subject. 7.62x51 is an evolution of the .30-06. The bullet weight varies, but most NATO rounds are at around 150 grains and match grade rounds tend to be near 168 grains. Recoil is massive compared to 5.56, 6.8, and 6.5. The trajectory is much flatter than 5.56, and reports on steel with an authoratative thump. In my experience anything under 500 meters is a target with this round and possible hits on target further out in dead calm.

The 5.56x45 comes in all kinds of weights, but commonly at 55 gr (earliest NATO round), 62 gr (current mass produced for NATO), and 77 gr (for match grade rifles). The rounds are lighter, the recoil is not as great, and the trajectory isn't quite as flat as the 7.62x51. That being said, it's fairly flat out to 200 meters and soldiers train (at least when I was in) to hit targets at out to 300 meters. It's soft on the shoulder and fun to shoot, not to mention cheaper than a lot of its heavier caliber cousins.

6.8 was developed about the same time 6.5 was developed, although for different purposes. The 6.8 is built for close in fighting where a bigger wound channel is at premium. The barrett M468 (named after the M4 and the 6.8mm round . . . a bit of trivia) is the current forerunner for military contracts in this round (unless something changed recently, haven't been keeping up). Trajectory will be somewhere between the 7.62x51 and the 5.56x45 as well as recoil. It is close to impossible to get factory loaded rounds for this ammunition, and the ammo you can get is quite expensive. With infinite resources, I would go with this round for mid-close range engagements. In reality, as a private citizen, it is both cheaper and more practical to go with 5.56x45.

Though you didn't ask about 6.5, you should at least know about it (and maybe wonder why it wasn't implemented). The 6.5 Grendel is a round that is often the nemesis of the 6.8 in flame wars about which round is better. This round has a very flat trajectory and is able to hit targets at longer distances with less drift and drop than its heavier cousins. There's a ton of info on it if you google it, so I'll save the space here.

Enough technobabble about the rounds. It's been my experience that training trumps any type of trajectory/bullet weight/stopping power equation. I've been able to take on M4s decked out with ACOGs and light handloads with a bone stock M14 in competition because I practiced a whole lot more than folks that try to buy their speed. Shot placement > stopping power of a round.

In the game I apply the same principle. Go in there with what you prefer and have fun with it.

I also look forward to Serellan's response.

Isn't there a type-o in the description of the M468 in GRAW?  The description for the weapon says it is a 5.56.  Should say 6.8.  Also, the magazine capacity (28 rounds) dictates that it is in fact a 6.8mm round.  Seems like a silly mistake.

does the fact that its supressed take away stopping power making it equal to a unsupressed 5.56?

Isn't there a type-o in the description of the M468 in GRAW?  The description for the weapon says it is a 5.56.  Should say 6.8.  Also, the magazine capacity (28 rounds) dictates that it is in fact a 6.8mm round.  Seems like a silly mistake.

does the fact that its supressed take away stopping power making it equal to a unsupressed 5.56?

I have no evidence to back this up, but it seems to have more stopping power than the silenced M4 in GRSS. The stopping power to me seems pretty equivalent to any of the other rifleman weapons in GRAW.

Stopping power is an arbitrary term. Yeah there's a difference in velocity because of the way that the suppressor vents the gases, but that takes away from your range more than it does "stopping power." If you hit someone in an area that incapacitates them by cutting off their nervous system or making them have a massive hemmorage (center mass - think aorta, brain stem, heart, pulmonary arteries, vena cavae . . . the big vessels or by causing a wound so big that the body simply cannot compensate . . . remember that relatively small caliber rounds like 10mm can leave an exit wound that you can toss a kitten through), you've essentially stopped them. This can be achieved with any caliber round.

Yes, there's definitely a typo on the M468. Minor qc issue unless they meant silenced M4. The 28 round mags support the 6.8 SPC idea.

Now if you want to compare suppressed 6.8 vs 5.56 . . . well let's look at the data. First off, the 6.8 clocks in about twice the weight of the 5.56 (I think . . . dang now I have to look it up). So you're looking at a 120ish grain bullet vs. a 62 grain round. That means it's got more mass. Then you have to look at the velocities that the rounds are traveling at. Again, I can't think of how fast they're going for subsonic function, but probably proportionally slower than their non-suppressed counterparts. mass x velocity = force. I do believe the 6.8 will hit with more force, but again I don't have all the data in front of me.

I cannot stress more than anything else that equipment is secondary to skill. A well trained individual with a .22 lr is a lot more deadly than some gun junkie with a 6.5 Grendel, despite the obvious balistic advantages of the latter round. Train with what you've got, and since you've got a great selection of firearms in GRAW, train with what you enjoy using!