My first impressions of GRAW and questions.

BigOlBrain

Well I didn’t have a whole lot of time to play last night but I did manage to get in about 10 games of multiplayer and part of the single player training.

The most important thing imo is the multiplayer. When I first got into a game…well I wasn’t all that impressed. I don’t remember the name of the map (desert Gulch?) but it’s the desert map with the broke down cars and whatnot if that tells you anything. I really didn’t think it looked all that great. Also the controls felt very strange to me for whatever reason though I only played for about 5 minutes before the pizza guy dropped of the food so I had to drop out of the game. :huh:

After I ate I started it back up and started the single player training but didn’t get very far because I was short on time and like I said…..multiplayer is where it’s at for me.

The first game I got into was the “Boneyard” map….LOVE IT! What an awesome map! It looked so much better than the first one I played. And the sound....just awesome! At this point I started really enjoying it. After a couple of games I got the controls down though I took a real beating the first few games I played. But after I got used to the controls they felt just fantastic. Very nice. I never did really figure out the cross-com but I was more focused on other things...I’ll get to it later. :thumbsup:

Oh and “Rocky Cove” which I didn’t so much care for from the video at X05, is fantastic. I also got to play Fishing Village, Wharf, Old Town and Nowhere. Loved them all! What a great bunch of maps. I didn’t get to play Dry Docks unfortunately…I really wanted to see this map.

Anyway, I went from a little concerned to absolutely loving it. What a fantastic job on the multiplayer and I’m really glad that they put a dedicated team to the multiplayer so that it would get the attention it deserved. It’s absolutely going to pay off.

I think my only complaints would be that there are only 10 maps. Not that it’s a really small amount but people who will play a lot I think will be starving for new ones soon enough. A map editor would have been great but as it is we will have to wait for download content. DON’T GET ME WRONG HERE…I know it’s only been out one day but I’m just saying.

My only other complaint would be that the multiplayer could have used some of the cool special effects from the single player’s graphics. But really it’s not a big deal because it’s easily overshadowed by the great game play and still looks very nice.

Oh yeah and lack of vsync.....but no big deal.

Now for my questions….these might sound stupid but like I said, I was short on time.

1) How do you get to your friends list from the multiplayer lobby or while you’re in a game? I kept getting invites and things but could not figure out how to get to my list. I’m sure I was just missing it somehow.

2) Is there a way to set your weapon up so that you don’t have to find it before every match? I’m still trying to find my favorite weapon but I’m just curious.

Also there haven't been that many impressions so I would like to hear from you guys as well. :yes:

Thanks guys.

Access your friends list at any time by hitting the glowing green X button on your controller ;) You know - the big one in the center .. also comes in very handy for an ingame chat to help someone out.

after you select a weapon you can hit the X button to make it the default for whatever class you have chosen. It also seems that if you select the same kit 4 or 5 times that kit comes up automatically.

Access your friends list at any time by hitting the glowing green X button on your controller ;) You know - the big one in the center .. also comes in very handy for an ingame chat to help someone out.

after you select a weapon you can hit the X button to make it the default for whatever class you have chosen. It also seems that if you select the same kit 4 or 5 times that kit comes up automatically.

I tried the X on the controller but all that came up was "turn off your console/controller." :hmm:

I must have missed it. :huh:

Cool..I'll have to try that once I find the weapon I like most.

Thanks. ;)

I tried the X on the controller but all that came up was "turn off your console/controller." :hmm:

I must have missed it. :huh:

Cool..I'll have to try that once I find the weapon I like most.

Thanks. ;)

BoB - Just tap the big X (start button) once to bring up your Gamer Panel. You hold it down for 3 seconds or so to bring up the shutdown console/controller menu.

The Gamer Panel is very handy as it's now a standardized way to check your friends list in the middle of anything (a game, a movie, pizza, etc. :D) ...well, except for downloads. :P That's alos how you're going to invite friends if you decide to host a private game. Just host the game, then bring up your gamer panel, go to your friends list and start highlighting friends and hit X (the blue faceplate X button).

And shame you missed Docks. Docks is the SEX. Very dangerous though, especially in co-op. There's lots of nooks and crannies for the AI to come at you from.

Gulch has no cars, btw, but rather a big canyon feel to it with a bridge overhead. I'm thinking you played on "Nowhere."

Did you give co-op a try? the 4 co-op maps are GREAT, and trying to achieve all the co-op objectives without dying is a PITA :D

Oh yeah, and my first impression? I'm not cleared for using the GLs yet. First three times I picked it up, I sauced myself and at least half the team :D

BoB - Just tap the big X (start button) once to bring up your Gamer Panel.  You hold it down for 3 seconds or so to bring up the shutdown console/controller menu.

The Gamer Panel is very handy as it's now a standardized way to check your friends list in the middle of anything (a game, a movie, pizza, etc. :D) ...well, except for downloads. :P  That's alos how you're going to invite friends if you decide to host a private game. Just host the game, then bring up your gamer panel, go to your friends list and start highlighting friends and hit X (the blue faceplate X button).

And shame you missed Docks. Docks is the SEX. Very dangerous though, especially in co-op. There's lots of nooks and crannies for the AI to come at you from.

Gulch has no cars, btw, but rather a big canyon feel to it with a bridge overhead. I'm thinking you played on "Nowhere."

Did you give co-op a try? the 4 co-op maps are GREAT, and trying to achieve all the co-op objectives without dying is a PITA :D

Ah, I was holding it (X) down. :wacko:

Yeah it might have been "nowhere". I'm not sure.

I never got to play Co-Op, didn't really have time to. I'll try it out this weekend though. :thumbsup:

BOB, I dont know if your talking about the "Nowhere" map with the broken down cars and stuff but I think thats the best map in the game!

You have a main street to fight on, a few buildings, a couple mountainside passes, plenty of cover, mid-sized, etc....Its perfect for any gametype.

BOB, I dont know if your talking about the "Nowhere" map with the broken down cars and stuff but I think thats the best map in the game!

You have a main street to fight on, a few buildings, a couple mountainside passes, plenty of cover, mid-sized, etc....Its perfect for any gametype.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying it's not a good map for gameplay, I'm saying it didn't look as nice as the other maps in my opinion.

Like I said I didn't even get to really play it because of the pizza guy. :D

I just looked around a sec and played with the controls.

Is there anyway to switch difficulty levels in co-op games......love the co-op..hate the fact that it was over in 1 hr...?

Also is there anyway to turn of the dramatic music.....?

Smoke grenades in MP are nice....IMO I think it would be nice to have the option of 3 smokes and 3 frags.....like SP....?

Also...left trigger for tighter aim ROCKS....!!!!!

Love this game......

Is there anyway to switch difficulty levels in co-op games......love the co-op..hate the fact that it was over in 1 hr...?

Smoke grenades in MP are nice....IMO I think it would be nice to have the option of 3 smokes and 3 frags.....like SP....?

Love this game......

Changing difficulty in coop campaign no..but u can set the number of AI guys in coop firefight/recon/elimination etc as needed.

You can turn the music off..when in game hit start choose in game options then go down to the dramatic music choice and set it to off.

I agree..love the game.

Only question I have is coop seemed to have some auto aiming going on making my reticule seem a bit choppy can this be turned off?

Love this game......

Hehe, did you notice that going left trigger activates the aiming laser mounted on your weapon? It's really hard to see far out (unles you scope in), but I've used that tiny pin-point dot to bring bullets on exposed knees and feet :D RAWK!

Love this game......

I think the only change in the coop is that the more players you have the tougher it gets ...

I have the same question on the music .. no matter how many times I turned it off it kept coming back on.

Throughout all the previews of multiplayer I wasn't at impressed with the graphics but when I sat down to play last night I couldnt get over how great the lighting is. I forget the map name but I thought it was a nice touch that I couldnt see too well when I was aiming in the same direction as the sun.

Nice reading there BigOl,

I'm with you on the comments... however I'm still having hard time getting used to the controllers. Maybe because I did a drastic jump from PC to Console.. I have tried playing since the game came out and I feel I'm making a progress every time. However I feel people turn around very quick.. it seems like faster than me.. also I noticed I get killed by people on the run...

I wonder if I will ever get to the point where the controls will feel natural. I'm using wireless controllers... Do you guys feel Ok with those devices? Are they as responsive as the wired ones?

Also any tips I can take to get better at aiming will be appreciated ;)

I'm hoping with practice I will get to the level I want.

,Mar 10 2006, 04:55 PM]

Nice reading there BigOl,

I'm with you on the comments... however I'm still having hard time getting used to the controllers. Maybe because I did a drastic jump from PC to Console.. I have tried playing since the game came out and I feel I'm making a progress every time. However I feel people turn around very quick.. it seems like faster than me..  also I noticed I get killed by people on the run...

I wonder if I will ever get to the point where the controls will feel natural. I'm using wireless controllers... Do you guys feel Ok with those devices? Are they as responsive as the wired ones?

Also any tips I can take to get better at aiming will be appreciated ;)

I'm hoping with practice I will get to the level I want.

The wireless controllers are excellent, no lag time at all.

As for getting used to it...well it takes a little time. Especially when you have been using a mouse but once you do you will really enjoy it.