Exploding Cars

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WK - I am extremely impressed with your knowledge of basic chemistry! A man of many talents........ ;)

I was a mechanic. I worked with fuel tanks all the time replacing electric fuel pumps. Now before you ask why no explosion there, sparks can't happen in liquid. As long as the wires do not get frayed (should be checked each time the pump is replaced), there is no danger. Fuel pumps are in the tanks to keep the pumps cool. One should never let a vehicle with an electric fuel pump get below 1/4 of a tank. Doing so will burn up the pump faster and need replacement (starting at around $150 parts and labor). Now to get back on topic.

As I said before ferrous materials are what causes sparks. Just shooting a gas tank will not cause a fire. Now, we all have seen cars on fire, especially after an accident. This happens due to the fact the tank was ruptured and metal, scraping concrete or asphault causes the spark that ignites the fuel vapors. You may get an explosion then, but not usually. The fuel tank needs to be under pressure for that to happen and it would need to rupture then for an explosion to happen.

Yeah i doubt a wheel can be detatched from its Axle by being shot a few times. Or a car door wil fly off.

That my friend is exactly the 'touch' that the console crowd like. It's one of the characteristics that seperate and define PC games and PC players. Not just a system difference, it's an aesthetic and game philosophy difference.

I hope that's not in the pc game.

yes this is something that GR1 had in it that made it nice, was that when you shot at a car it would simply just leave a bullet hole there and be done with it, I feel that would be only right to leave that and not have a door or wheel pop off and such, that to me is just not realistic and nesessary. To me that would simply be dumbing down this GR that we like. What i have seen from xbox360 videos have been some really improved explosions with fire and such that are really bitchen, that is so cool to see, and would not mind blowing something up legitamently.

the cars would also do that being hit by a at4... or an M203. that was a prob in GR i thought...

What are you guys talking about? Only thing I ever saw explode was a tank.

White Knight, wouldnt a gas tank do something (im not sure about explode) if you fired a tracer through the gas tank above level of the fuel (so its going through the vaporized fuel/air mixture)? Of course then they would have to do all these models for the physics because the bullet would probably be deflected a few times before it got to the gas tank..... Still, I think firing tracers or explosives into the gas tank should make the car catch on fire. And it would be sweet if tires could burn.

WK - I am extremely impressed with your knowledge of basic chemistry! A man of many talents........ ;)

I was a mechanic. I worked with fuel tanks all the time replacing electric fuel pumps. Now before you ask why no explosion there, sparks can't happen in liquid. As long as the wires do not get frayed (should be checked each time the pump is replaced), there is no danger. Fuel pumps are in the tanks to keep the pumps cool. One should never let a vehicle with an electric fuel pump get below 1/4 of a tank. Doing so will burn up the pump faster and need replacement (starting at around $150 parts and labor). Now to get back on topic.

As I said before ferrous materials are what causes sparks. Just shooting a gas tank will not cause a fire. Now, we all have seen cars on fire, especially after an accident. This happens due to the fact the tank was ruptured and metal, scraping concrete or asphault causes the spark that ignites the fuel vapors. You may get an explosion then, but not usually. The fuel tank needs to be under pressure for that to happen and it would need to rupture then for an explosion to happen.

Like I said.......I stand in awe of your knowledge of explosive materials........wow :o you the man....man.........

Tracers use a chemical that glows by the friction with the air. It isn't actually a spark or fire. The heat could possibly start a fire and maybe an explosion, but as you say, deflection could keep it from entering the tank to begin with.

Eh? :unsure: Now where in the *beep* did you get that info from mate?

Cut straight from Wikipedia

A tracer projectile is constructed with a hollow base filled with a pyrotechnic flare material. In US and NATO standard ammunition this is usually a mixture of strontium salts and a metal fuel such as magnesium perchlorate. This yields a bright red light. Russian and Chinese tracer ammunition generates green light using barium salts.

So get a tracer round to enter a nearly empty fueltank (= plenty of vapours in the tank) and get it to stay there long enough and chances are it will ignite the vapour.

During my army training we got showed what happened when you set of a spark in a just about empty fueldrum....BIG KABOOM.

And yeah, I know the military and petrol fairly well...Did my service as a refuelling squad leader = mobile BBQ waiting to happen.

Mythbusters actually got a fuel tank to burn wuth tracer fire, although it was after shooting it with numerous rounds until it looked like a swiss cheese, after a long while they actually got a flame.

But I dont think that could happen with only one round, wouldn't you need more air? tha just the tiny bullet hole...

You are right Whiteknight. Although I think most fires in a collision are due to the oil that will leak from the engine after a hit. While the engine being hot as hell the oil sprays out of the ruptured engineblok and caughting fire on the hot engineblock. If this starting fire ignites the fuel from the ruptured fueltank you get a fully burned out car, where only rarely explosions will occur. Nice these technical topics. Learning a lot here!

Eh?  :unsure: Now where in the *beep* did you get that info from mate?

Cut straight from Wikipedia

A tracer projectile is constructed with a hollow base filled with a pyrotechnic flare material. In US and NATO standard ammunition this is usually a mixture of strontium salts and a metal fuel such as magnesium perchlorate. This yields a bright red light. Russian and Chinese tracer ammunition generates green light using barium salts.

Are these not made up of chemical compounds? Sorry, but...

Notice, an almost empty fuel tank. It is mostly vapors and not liquid. Vapors are what ignite, not the liquid.

Tracers use a chemical that glows by the friction with the air. It isn't actually a spark or fire. The heat could possibly start a fire and maybe an explosion, but as you say, deflection could keep it from entering the tank to begin with.

WK77, when I was in the Army I learned that tracers are an amount of phosphorous (Red for allies, Green for soviet block countries and it's allies)on the back of a single round. There's a little indentation on the back of the round and there lies an amount of the phosphorous that when the round is fired, the phosphorousis therefore ignited. Can't telll you how many fires at the driving range while in the Army I and my unit set during hot dry months.

this is a M62 7.62mm FMJ boattail tracer NOTE: the cup in the back of the bullet for the phosphorous.

M62.jpg

or read more about tracers.. Here

What are you guys talking about? Only thing I ever saw explode was a tank.

White Knight, wouldnt a gas tank do something (im not sure about explode) if you fired a tracer through the gas tank above level of the fuel (so its going through the vaporized fuel/air mixture)? Of course then they would have to do all these models for the physics because the bullet would probably be deflected a few times before it got to the gas tank..... Still, I think firing tracers or explosives into the gas tank should make the car catch on fire. And it would be sweet if tires could burn.

tracers are a wild card - I have set small fires in a dry field with tracers, but whether they would ignite a gas tank is a mythbusters in it's self.

Now as for disabling a vehicle, a .50 sure will crack an engine block!

Car + rounds - demolish in steps - make holes, smash windows, swing door open, deflate tire, kill cooler, set off alarm - this makes a more interresting OR less good cover depending on shape/position of car

Car + Grenades = Explosion if hit fueltank or total demolishin if not hit fueltank (flip can happen if hit from below or in the right angle) Car burns and smokes.

Trucks, Panards etc work like this aswell - but they are usually in motion when it happens :)