Best way to pick the GRNET v. GRIN team?

Hopefully the demo will have multiplayer, the best GR players may not nessecarily be the best GRAW players. It's hard to know how to pick the best players though. If it's done through team vs team matches, the best players could be knocked out by having poor team mates. If it's done by who has the most kills in free for all deathmatches, good individual players could be picked with no idea of team work.

Ideally there would have to be some kind of judging process. Maybe two judges could lead random teams against each other and assign marks out of 100 to each of their team mates. The best x players could then go through to the next round, repeating the process untill the number is down to the required amount. Of course this would involve the two judges being forced to endure countless hours of GRAW :o .

Alternately, I think Bo mentioned in one of the threads that the game awards points based on play which can be used to unlock weapons, perhaps the in game points system could also be used to pick the team.

Edited by stevenmu

Send out a question and answer sheet to every applicant via a word doc in a zip. The document will contain a virus and then the first x amount of people to reply (who survived the format) to complain ... get the slot.

:ph34r::thumbsup:

Send out a question and answer sheet to every applicant via a word doc in a zip. The document will contain a virus and then the first x amount of people to reply (who survived the format) to complain ... get the slot.

:ph34r:  :thumbsup:

lol, I love my computer. Who does such an abuse on my darling is just to mean, way to mean :'( Please don't do that :no:

LMAO

Check out Mr Competitive  :P

Hey, it's Mr. Competitive here, back again. :)

I was thinking about this topic just the other day, and it occured to me that in TvT, because ping is king, and I can only assume that the server is going to be in Europe, I was thinking that this would probably exclude a lot of us on the other side of the Atlantic. :( I don't see this as avoidable, and I understand it -- I want the GR.net team to do as well as possible.

Anyway, I was thinking that part of the selection process should be to see how people's connections are with the server where the actual match will be played. Will the match be on a GR.net server? Will it be on a GRIN server in Sweden? Elsewhere? I think we should know this before the selection process.

I personally think it should be on a GR.net server.

If the game is on a GRIN server, and the GRIN team is onsite with that server, we might be looking at GR.net - GRIN ping differentials of up to 100, or maybe more, and that would give the GRIN team a huge advantage. And they don't need any more advantages than they already have. :thumbsup:

Just a thought.

--Logos

Check out Mr Competitive  :P

Hey, it's Mr. Competitive here, back again. :)

I was thinking about this topic just the other day, and it occured to me that in TvT, because ping is king, and I can only assume that the server is going to be in Europe, I was thinking that this would probably exclude a lot of us on the other side of the Atlantic. :( I don't see this as avoidable, and I understand it -- I want the GR.net team to do as well as possible.

Anyway, I was thinking that part of the selection process should be to see how people's connections are with the server where the actual match will be played. Will the match be on a GR.net server? Will it be on a GRIN server in Sweden? Elsewhere? I think we should know this before the selection process.

I personally think it should be on a GR.net server.

If the game is on a GRIN server, and the GRIN team is onsite with that server, we might be looking at GR.net - GRIN ping differentials of up to 100, or maybe more, and that would give the GRIN team a huge advantage. And they don't need any more advantages than they already have. :thumbsup:

Just a thought.

--Logos

Got no problem with running a GR server if it packs good hardware.

Sounds like a neutral site is required. Maybe two sites, one in Europe and one in the States. The match can be split between the 2 servers. As far as picking the gr.net team is concerned, all I can say is "good luck, zjj."

How about naking it a grand slam event with best of 3 or 5 matchs, over 3 or 5 weekends, that way more guys could be in it if u varied the team rosters, and you could change server back and forth after each week, so it is a level playing field (if u pardon the pun)

JF

Edited by JFSebastian

New theory: GR:AW (PC) was delayed just so GRIN could have more practise time?

Seriously though, the best way would be for Rocky & co to pick out the people randomly as this is the only fair way of doing it, or by date of post, so first come, forst served basis.

Seriously though, the best way would be for Rocky & co to pick out the people randomly as this is the only fair way of doing it, or by date of post, so first come, forst served basis.

Fair by what standard? Everyone gets an equal shot? That's not a very good standard for a head-to-head competition.

I'm sure no one wants the team to get waxed, and I'm sure GRIN would want to play the best competition possible. With all this "beat GRIN" talk, I don't know if people realize how good they're going to be. They will have been playing this game for ten times as long as the GR.net team. If GR.net doesn't send the absolute best it can, the match is going to be a complete and utter slaughter. I don't think anyone wants that. I hope no one does, anyway.

I would say that in a head-to-head competition, "fair" to everyone would be the best representation, and the best representation is going to be the players who will give GRIN the best competition. :thumbsup:

-Logos

So an in-forum competition to see who is the best out of all of us you mean?

Can do guys, but by doing it this way it will mean a lot of effort on our parts to get people organised, to turn up, get in to teams, onto comms. Could take us a while just to get to a point where we are about ready to pick our chosen 10, or whatever the number might be.