Best way to pick the GRNET v. GRIN team?

Maybe create a list of selection criteria? Let me start it off:

1) Do you have the game yet?

2) The type of rig you have?

3) How many hours have you already played (maybe use Xfire?)?

4) how many years are you active at GR.net?

I know that these criteria are on thin ice. But you have to start somewhere! Every descission will have some people being dissappointed. Maybe the GRIN team would like to set up multiple matches. Every month or so one match? That way more people can enjoy it and I am thought: the more the merrier!

Good luck ya'll!

Why not 50/50 server?

Swedish connections are probably the best in Europe.

You should give them a couple of IP's from the East Coast.. who knows.. maybe they ping 80-100 or something.

And for a European server you should go for a server in Amsterdam, to me it seems like dutch servers have superior routing (atleast in Europe).

GRnet is supported by GameServer.net (which is dutch) so having a decent server shouldn't be a problem... But it still depends a bit on the netcode of GRAW.

Go GRIN!

Maybe create a list of selection criteria? Let me start it off:

1) Do you have the game yet?

2) The type of rig you have?

3) How many hours have you already played (maybe use Xfire?)?

4) how many years are you active at GR.net?

This actually will be the first piece of the selection criteria, but with many more questions. Those that don't respond, automatically are eliminated. From the rest, the responses will be analysed with a few more potentially being eliminated.

So an in-forum competition to see who is the best out of all of us you mean? 

This was my thought after that, but haven't totally figured out how to work this piece. Luckily I have more time now that the game has been delayed.

A random "in the hat drawing" to create a waiting list... then you go down the list, in the order you pulled them from the hat, until you fill up the slots with those who meet the criteria.

Fair for everyone?

Not sure I see the point in taking this tooooooooo seriously as far as making sure the team is only made up of peeps deemed worthy from a game playing point of view.

While I understand the competitive nature of us all (almost all my GR years have been in adversarial leagues) I thought this was a "fun" idea, and to be played for fun too, after all no-one's house is on the line!.

Just seems that all of a sudden this idea has turned into a "serious" attempt to win, rather than a fun game, and that is a pity.

I wanted to play. just to see what the game developers tricks and skills were like.

Name out of a hat is the simplest way to do it, and as for getting everyone together, lol if peeps ae picked, I am pretty certain they will turn up.

JF

Edited by JFSebastian

Well, once I am by default selected, all the other names should go in a random draw to fill out the rest of the team. This is the only fair way. I think by definition anyone who is posting here and has gone the extra step to even sign up for this match should be classified as a "ravenous GR fan" As such, because of our devotion level, I am sure most of our GR gaming skills are at minimum average and above. Therefore I don't think we need to select players based on some sort of "skill" competition.

Dislcamer: Most of the above post was serious. You figure out which parts.

Edited by *CDN* 12Gauge

Not sure I see the point in taking this tooooooooo seriously as far as making sure the team is only made up of peeps deemed worthy from a game playing point of view.

While I understand the competitive nature of us all (almost all my GR years have been in adversarial leagues) I thought this was a "fun" idea, and to be played for fun too, after all no-one's house is on the line!.

Just seems that all of a sudden this idea has turned into a "serious" attempt to win, rather than a fun game, and that is a pity.

I wanted to play. just to see what the game developers tricks and skills were like.

Name out of a hat is the simplest way to do it, and as for getting everyone together, lol if peeps ae picked, I am pretty certain they will turn up.

JF

hold up there brother, it's not suddenly a serious attempt to win, as the right GRNET team doesn't have to get serious to mop the floor with the GRIN team - and remember whose idea this whole GRNET versus GRIN thing was? two days ago I suggested bar code numbers drawn out of a hat by staff, and I believe this may have been met with some degree of initial approval by someone with influence, but he can speak for himself.

I say let's cut the chatter, make a decision, and drive.

Suggestions:

1. After the official release (i.e. NOT the demo) give players the chance to atleast get decent enough at playing GR:AW.

2. Hold a SOLO player ladder style tourney hosted by GRnet and TE. This will weed out the cream of the crop from the just plain cream. This will be easy to organize and execute due to the fact we've all done them before.

3. The top 10 are team members and 11-15 are back up members, kinda like a second string... or whatever. Since GRNET senior members are going to reserve slots fill the remaining slots with the winners.

4. As far as a server is concerned shouldnt it be a public dedicated server owned by UBI, like UBI.com? Think publicity stunt. Much like the way MPlayer was when R6 first came out??

(We all remember those days... fraggin' noobs...anyways...)

Giving a player a sum of 45 days or so to practice when the game comes out will not only give the players time to practice (I myself will lose many hours of sleep to practice), it will give time to set up a 14 day tourney and at the same time give time to find a neutral server to play on with good hardware and a good connection AND time to hash out the final rules list for the GRNET vs. GRIN match.

Just some ideas, hope they help.

SN6

P.S.> All this is to create fairness based on effort to practice and get good and actual skill. If the team goes into the server and gets spanked by GRIN, it will not only give GR.net, who are the reigning GR experts bad publicity, it will leave people to think, why did they even bother. I personally, would like to see GR.net give 100% to this and not just throw a team together of people who say they like to play GR1 and think they will be good at GR:AW. It will mean that much more if we do win and make losing that much easier to take with a handshake.

SN6 out.

Edited by SierraNovember6

Suggestions:

1.  After the official release (i.e. NOT the demo) give players the chance to atleast get decent enough at playing GR:AW.

2. Hold a SOLO player ladder style tourney hosted by GRnet and TE.  This will weed out the cream of the crop from the just plain cream.  This will be easy to organize and execute due to the fact we've all done them before. 

3.  The top 10 are team members and 11-15 are back up members, kinda like a second string... or whatever.  Since GRNET senior members are going to reserve slots fill the remaining slots with the winners.

4.  As far as a server is concerned shouldnt it be a public dedicated server owned by UBI, like UBI.com?  Think publicity stunt.  Much like the way MPlayer was when R6 first came out??

(We all remember those days... fraggin' noobs...anyways...)

Giving a player a sum of 45 days or so to practice when the game comes out will not only give the players time to practice (I myself will lose many hours of sleep to practice), it will give time to set up a 14 day tourney and at the same time give time to find a neutral server to play on with good hardware and a good connection AND time to hash out the final rules list for the GRNET vs. GRIN match.

Just some ideas, hope they help.

SN6

P.S.>  All this is to create fairness based on effort to practice and get good and actual skill.  If the team goes into the server and gets spanked by GRIN, it will not only give GR.net, who are the reigning GR experts bad publicity, it will leave people to think, why did they even bother.  I personally, would like to see GR.net give 100% to this and not just throw a team together of people who say they like to play GR1 and think they will be good at GR:AW.  It will mean that much more if we do win and make losing that much easier to take with a handshake.

SN6 out.

if we are gonna do all that, the team selected should have some special role to play in the First GRIN expansion pack...

Think back to your child hood and now adult hood.... when has it ever hurt to ask?

Maybe they could be honorary devs or the first beta testers of an expansion.  Hell, I would settle for my name being printed in the game manual as a supporter or whatever.

Having now thought about it for a few minutes, I truly believe that playing against Bo and the "Boyz" at GRIN should be enough. How often does a chance like this come along? We shouldnt take their kindness for granted. If my name isnt in the manual or if I am not a beta tester so what, I got to play against the developers of a game series that I love to play.

At the end of the day, we'll be able to say we had fun... win or lose.

SN6

I think there does need to be a pre selection skill based competition, That way it'll be open to everyone & those who are prepared to make a real effort will be the ones who will go through. It takes nothing to stick your name on a list but if you really want it you'll practice for it.

Also once the primary team is selected they need to play online together to get used to team work. Now some of you might be thinking wheres the fun. well for me the Alpha Squad tourney's were the best fun I've had gaming. Working as a tactical squad is where the real fun is at (IMHO)

Anyhow I'm sure for just general fun online I'm sure we'll see the guys at Grin online anyway. Lets face it GRAW is looking to be the best online game around. of course there gonna be playing it :whistle:

Lets make this Tourney something special,

infact :huh: how about making it a annual thing once we've betten them we'll have the title & they'll need to win it back :thumbsup:

oh yes I like the Idea of that :yes: