Mexico City?

Hey, guys!

This looks like a great community here! I'd like to start off by apologizing if this is in the wrong spot. Really, I'm not that serious about it, I just know it would add a lot to the realism for me.

I've been to Mexico City 3-4 times in my life (my most recent trip was last Summer) One of the biggest things I noticed was that (especially right out of the airport) there were a lot of umm... colorful cars. Kind of like the one in this picture right here.

That color green seems to be very popular. I saw quite a few cars that were actually just that color, and maybe a white and black stripe. Additionally there were a lot of old VW bugs. Someone actually counted them and on a 10 minute trip there were 50 some from what I remember. It's actually kind of funny.

Anyway, I don't know if it's too late or not, but I personally thing that the cars should be more colorful. Actually, I don't know much about the factory environments, but right out of the airport everything was very colorful. I don't know if we've only been seeing shots from one map, so it might already be right and I just haven't seen it yet.

I wish I had some pictures to show you from my experience in Mexico City. There were orange cars, green cars, puke green cars, yellow cars... Anyway, this post is starting to read like a Dr. Seuss book so I'm going to stop talking now... feel free to give your thoughts!

Mexico actually built Beetles for quite some time after they were stopped being shipped to the US. While this is speculation on my part, it may be one of the very reason why the smog is so bad there. The air cooled engine that the Beetle used was terribly inefficent over water cooled engines and spewed lots of pollution causing emissions.

Welcome to GR.net. I am sure that there will be more colors that what we have seen so far. As far as how bright, I couldn't begin to tell you. Sorry. Maybe Bo can.

Thanks for the welcome, and the info. It's funny how the devs come here instead of the official ubi forums. Actually, I've been over there, I don't blame them! :)

Interesting thing about what there doing about smog down there. If your license plate starts with a certain letter you cannot drive on certain days, the police will pull you over if you do.

Your fun Mexican fact of the day sponsored by Cookie! Tune in next week when we learn to say "Take cover!" in Spanish! :jester:

Mexico actually built Beetles for quite some time after they were stopped being shipped to the US. While this is speculation on my part, it may be one of the very reason why the smog is so bad there. The air cooled engine that the Beetle used was terribly inefficent over water cooled engines and spewed lots of pollution causing emissions.

Much to my chagrin, VW still manufactures the Jetta (Bora) out of Puebla, Mexico.

Interestingly, I always see some sort of old VW gathering at this particular Costco parking lot in Tijuana every Friday night without fail. Mostly Americans just hanging out.

Some of us have been concerned about the colours shown in all of the pics. The view seems to be tainted with a yellow filter causing a lost of colour intensity and a general undersaturation of the environment.

From the first devs chat…

<rovholet> The colors and graphics reminds me alot of black hawk down, Were you heavily influenced by that movie when you designed the game?

[ +Ulf ] Black Hawk down is a movie that we studied in detail because it uses light and color changes to clearly indicate the mood of a scene.

Before a fight, things look smooth, but as the bullets start flying and things get dangerous, the light changes to a more cold and "hard" hue.

We use that in game as well, to emphasize the situation.

They are trying to recreate a general mood or intensity by changing the ambient light tone depending on the situation, just like in the movies. That for me is a linear approach and should be avoided. I do not appreciate for the program to show me what is the situation or mood by changing the colours of the screen.

The guys in Stockholm seems to have worked on features that we don’t really care about and will most likely turn off if given the choice. All the scrennies provided to date are from SP so hopefully this effect will not be used in MP or better yet be a graphics setting option.

Some of us have been concerned about the colours shown in all of the pics. The view seems to be tainted with a yellow filter causing a lost of colour intensity and a general undersaturation of the environment.

From the first devs chat…

<rovholet> The colors and graphics reminds me alot of black hawk down, Were you heavily influenced by that movie when you designed the game?

[ +Ulf ] Black Hawk down is a movie that we studied in detail because it uses light and color changes to clearly indicate the mood of a scene.

Before a fight, things look smooth, but as the bullets start flying and things get dangerous, the light changes to a more cold and "hard" hue.

We use that in game as well, to emphasize the situation.

They are trying to recreate a general mood or intensity by changing the ambient light tone depending on the situation, just like in the movies. That for me is a linear approach and should be avoided. I do not appreciate for the program to show me what is the situation or mood by changing the colours of the screen.

The guys in Stockholm seems to have worked on features that we don’t really care about and will most likely turn off if given the choice. All the scrennies provided to date are from SP so hopefully this effect will not be used in MP or better yet be a graphics setting option.

AND again the screens you seen are from one level.

Thanks for the response, Bo. I figured they were from only one or two levels. I didn't think the game could be so repetitive that that's all there is. I for one don't have a problem with the colors being changed slightly to add to the mood. I don't think it's linear at all. In real life when things start happening (from my very limited experience) and you have to "fight or flight" the way you perceive things changes slightly. You can't force this to happen to yourself so the next best thing is to change the way things are (rather than the way they are perceived). I think it will add to the game experience.

<me> Hopes he gets the opportunity to blow up a VW Beetle... and take a video of it... and show it to his friends who went to Mexico... and then realize his friends think it's real 'cuz the graphics are so cool... then have them look at him in amazement... and then be elected president of the United States of America.... and then... </me>

*Pop*

Oh, whoa, was I day-dreaming again? Sorry, but I do want to blow up a VW bug and show it to my friends... :rocket:

Thanks for the response, Bo. I figured they were from only one or two levels. I didn't think the game could be so repetitive that that's all there is. I for one don't have a problem with the colors being changed slightly to add to the mood. I don't think it's linear at all. In real life when things start happening (from my very limited experience) and you have to "fight or flight" the way you perceive things changes slightly. You can't force this to happen to yourself so the next best thing is to change the way things are (rather than the way they are perceived). I think it will add to the game experience.

<me> Hopes he gets the opportunity to blow up a VW Beetle... and take a video of it... and show it to his friends who went to Mexico... and then realize his friends think it's real 'cuz the graphics are so cool... then have them look at him in amazement... and then be elected president of the United States of America.... and then... </me>

*Pop*

Oh, whoa, was I day-dreaming again? Sorry, but I do want to blow up a VW bug and show it to my friends... :rocket:

On the case of VW.. that is a trademark so it is always a issue of blowing up such things or even including them in games like GRAW. We have tons of Mexico ref material and some of the team went there to see the place aswell... but there is always real world restrictions.

No problem... :'( I'll live.

Seriously though, the game is going to pwn all when it comes out. The only thing you could tell me that would make me sad is that you have to stand on your head to play it. And even then I'd probably do it. :hehe:

On the case of VW.. that is a trademark so it is always a issue of blowing up such things or even including them in games like GRAW. We have tons of Mexico ref material and some of the team went there to see the place aswell... but there is always real world restrictions.

LOL, I would have no problem whatsoever if a VW got blown up. :evilgrin: I tried to keep from working on them if I could.

No problem...  :'( I'll live.

Seriously though, the game is going to pwn all when it comes out. The only thing you could tell me that would make me sad is that you have to stand on your head to play it. And even then I'd probably do it. :hehe:

id just turn my monitor upside down...

seirously bo, GRAW PC is gonna rule all, u better be ready for the GR.net/Dev game. ;)

i'm sure we can round up a few lawyers if any difficulties arise... ;)