What do you preffer?

Ooooh.....good question Sairus!

Having been stuck on the original GR missions since June 05 (currently on Mission 4!) I've only experienced the first missions of all the mods - although I did fly through the first mission of WWIII (!).

Its a bit like asking me which of my children I like more.

Some campaign mods and missions mods may lack that real finished feel but I think we need them all in the GR family.

(p.s. mission 1 YOTM - how hard????)

Edited by nuttyknatty

One thing I don't like about the mods is that in the original game a soldier has 1 main weapon and 4 items but in most mods everybody has like about 10-20 main weapons and it makes a hell of a lot of kits and that annoyes me because some weapons are diffrent just by it's skin. Blargh.

Gotta love the original the most as without it we wouldn't be able to enjoy the great mods. ;) It's really a mix for me as some of the original missions are super and some only so so but when you throw original and mods all together you seem to have and endless supply of great missions and maps.

I think all depends on the personality of the player. I think the original maps are very polished and balanced. My co-op buddy, aka "Modwhore" can't even play unless he has 30 different sniper rifles to choose from. :blink: His favorite was the LesBears SD. For our primary, we used to carry a UMP.45 SD. It was from a mod and it was too accurate - it was like sniping with a submachine gun. But we loved it and kept playing with it.

It's kind of like asking which arm you'd rather part with - your left or your right.

One thing I don't like about the mods is that in the original game a soldier has 1 main weapon and 4 items but in most mods everybody has like about 10-20 main weapons and it makes a hell of a lot of kits and that annoyes me because some weapons are diffrent just by it's skin. Blargh.

we could do without those duplicate ballitstic weapons. just take them out of the mod or spend the time to change the weapons stats.

Example:

handgun: Kimber TSE 1911 .45 ACP big handgun, hard to control, crap loads of knock down. holds 8+1. This is a hand cannon.

handgun: Glock Model 37 .45 GAP Regualr Full Size Glock (wider slide), easier than 1911 to reaquire target. ballisticallly is a shade better than .45 ACP round, including knowckdown. and can hold 10+1.

These two pistols were featured in the same small Weps mod 2 years ago.

The two points I want to make:

1: Both guns were, in GR, ballistacally the same. equal. Only the skins were different. Which one should you choose? And if they were correct in game,

which gun would you choose?

2: The main point is that a lot, NOT MOST, of the people doing these weapon mods have never fired these weapons. They look on the web and find a cool pic of a "gun" and some with their rendering genious, make a GR kit.

I would like to see alot of the superfluous weapons taken from some of the mods to make kit selection a whole lot easier when you have say, a timer on, you are a noob and have no clue, and it would save time when exploring kits to find which are worth while and which should stay in the rear with the gear.

Changing an existing mod would be very difficult and not worth the time.

But some advice from a real life shooter: Follow the lead of modders that already practice researching the weapons before creating kits, if at all possible, actually fire the weapon and compare them.

If you just like to model the weapons in 3DMAX or whatever, create your self a fake PRESS PASS and roll into the local gun show with a camera. Take lots of pics.

And when you have all the kits you want, play the game with them all, and ask your self, "Does anybody choose a crappy rifle on purpose?"

Another point I want to make is this nonsense with the Demo class. Why do they get balanced kits??? Thats crap. And it doesnt happen in real life. So what they have a AT4? It doesnt negate the fact that they can take a SOPMOD if they want. Not a semi-crappy M4 or a sight range challenged SA80. This has always bugged me.

SN6

Edited by SierraNovember6

• 2 weeks later...
What do you like more? The original GR game or fan made mods like (No Easy Day, Frostbite, Alpha Mod etc.)?

I prefer everything! I currently have over 85 missions I like and I know how to script missions so I keep making more.

As for weapon mods, my favorite is probably Centcom weapons (it hasn't been released yet). I also enjoy M-468 Weapon Mod.

I prefer everything! I currently have over 85 missions I like and I know how to script missions so I keep making more.
Why do I get this feeling that I've only scratched the surface of all the incredible gameplay possible with GR through the use of mods and user-made missions??? :blink:

I don't have alot of gaming time but it seems as if I'm overwhelmed with the selection of good mods out there for GR. I almost wish someone would just say to me, "here, install this you fool!".

Edited by chiles4

Mods are the only thing that keeps me playing this game.

I'm a gamer that needs variety to keep any interest.

When I get a little bored with GR, I play other games, but always find myself coming back. There just isn't any other game out there that has the replayability that GR has. Period.

Most of the time I find myself playing with Eskwaad's Delta Force 1990, and Earl's Standard Upgrade, so I suppose that means I agree with the folks who don't see any need to change many mechanics of the game or to add a dizzying array of kits. Playing with these two mods tends to drag me even deeper into the game than running 'pure' GR simply because of the enhanced visuals, and I love being able to use them in the campaign modes without noticeably unbalancing the difficulty that was intended originally.

The only gameplay adjustment I'd love to see would be weapon jams. Think of the moment of panic!

Amy