Question on Game Design in General

chilly-willy

This may be considered offtopic, I'm not sure.

Bo or anyone really with knowledge,

Can you explain why in most games that try to simulate comabt in urban areas the designers will put in doors that dont open and windows that wont break.

I'd like to see a very large urban map where every building has an interior, every door opens, and every normal (non bullet resistant) window can be broken. Why has this never really been done, is it the limits of the PC or the programing technology? Is it just to save time and development cost?

I'd guess the sheer amount of work & modeling needed. If you take a 1km map 4 blocks wide thats alot of work & mapping with closed doors. If you then map every room within each building (many Multi floored) you've got a collossal amount of work thats simply mind boggling. Also it would look crap unless your going to do it properly like SWAT4 & fill every room with junk. Now SWAT4 is awsome for it's indoors each room looks realistic because posters, tools, desks, bins, paper, coke cans etc... are all over the place with proper phisics!!! :blink: It's unfair to compare this though as a SWAT4 map is a single building. on the GRAW maps there will be 100's of buildings.

I agree with you it would be great to have that but I think it will be a great many years before we see maps this big going into that much small detail.

Another reason besides the extra amount of work for modellers/mapmakers:

A game with a billion CAMP/HIDE spots is just boring, maybe realistic.. but not good for the gameplay / flow in the game.

A game with a billion CAMP/HIDE spots is just boring, maybe realistic.. but not good for the gameplay / flow in the game.

:rofl: Good point there Ben, You can imagine last man standing It could take weeks to find someone hiding in a walk in wardrobe in a backstreet hotel :yes:

Mind you the mission times could go from 1 to 2 hours to 3 or 5 interesting thought.

It sounds interesting in co-op where missions might go to 3 or 5 or more hours, but in TvT, particularly domination, it would create problems. I doubt you could find every person on the other team in a large urban map with every building interior fully modelled.

Also, how much disk-space would we be talking about? Isn't most of the diskspace used by current games chewed up by the levels?

--Logos

Mind you the mission times could go from 1 to 2 hours to 3 or 5 interesting thought.

Also, how much disk-space would we be talking about?

--Logos

I'd be willing to devote as much space as needed myself. I'd finally have a good reason to fill my disks. I have nearly 200 GB of empty space.... I'm not sure why I have so much disk space, I never fill it.

Maybe in a couple years CW will get his wish.

That would be great for us SP only players as we don't get any benefit of the MP aspect of a game.

You would need a uber computer to run it. Every interactive objects is dynamic which needs some sort of animation (open/close,destroyable) and that animation wants some memory. Now just imagine a map with what 1000 doors and windows like this?!?

Forget it...

Good point.

For CO-OP I think it would be fun still. If PPUs were in all of our machines, maybe we could set charges and start blowing building up. "Smokem Out". :rofl:

silent_op

Yeah. I considered posting earlier: something like that, while kinda' cool, wouldn't work at all for traditional map design.