GR:AW MP Co-op

This one's aimed at Bo.

Great job in placating the screaming masses my friend, your few well selected sentences were all we really needed. As mature gamers we don't appreciate the 'Mushroom' treatment, most of us get enough of that at work every day ;)

Anyway on to more important things.

CO-OP - Any news regarding how many players we can expect? Is it still only 4?

Now before we get people jumping in here and quoting all sorts of figures I will explain what I mean when I say Co-op.

X amount of Human players on a server, on the SAME team playing missions/Firefights/Defend against the AI.

Simple as that, that's what most of us at GRNET play every night and a limit of 4 people is gonna cause REAL problems tbh.

Come on Bo, quote me happy ;)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

most of us at GRNET play every night and a limit of 4 people is gonna cause REAL problems tbh.

:yes::yes:

Coop against AI is very important to us and many other Teams.

Its one of the main reasons so many of us are still playing the game as Team members.

Looking at the different levels of AI in GRAW this type of game play would be totally awesome.

A positive answer to this would make a lot of us very happy indeed.

To my understanding Bo won't comment on something that has not yet been available to the public.

And GRIN are holding the cards pretty close up to hide their big grin on what MP has to offer us PC players.

With the delay & release of 360 version I think we can expect more & more media release untill it's gone gold master.

Confused again, I thought coop was up to 16.

TVT Yes

We are talking COOP Against AI in a mission or FF

You have four. No more, that was stated last year.

It was stated last year your right Colin, but quite a lot has changed since then so unless you have some definative knowledge you can confirm then my question still stands as it has been edged around in the dev chats and confused constantly with MP in general.

Personally I would like a definate answer because tbh if 4 player IS the max for Co-op then GR:AW will only ever be something I play casually and my main focus for Co-op Teamplay will move to games that allow me to play with a PROPER amount of squadmates.

Since the CO-OP question is being posted, I'd like to repost my previous CO-OP plea...

A Plea for CO-OP Play

I know we have been told that there will be more than 4 co-op players on "custom modified maps". That co-op number is still unclear.

Co-op questions:

-How many Ghosts make up a squad?

-How many squads make up a team/platoon?

-How many teams/platoons can there be?

Bo since you clearly read these forums, please hear my plea. CO-OP play is very important and vital to Ghost Recon. GR1’s maximum 27 player number is one of the many attributes that has made GR1 so successful. When developers/producers talk about large numbers of players turning into a free for all, this confuses me. Sure in some adversarial modes this may be the case (I doubt it is always the case). In CO-OP, I guess this could happen as well, but that could happen no matter what (depends on the people playing). CO-OP is great because of its social aspects and the enhanced feeling of immersion in the game missions. Restricting the number of CO-OP players to 4 seems really backwards. It seems as if GRIN/UBI has not been paying attention to what makes CO-OP such an integral part of the Ghost Recon (PC) gaming experience.

In my opinion, CO-OP always allows the players to feel more immersed in the game world. After all, you’re sneaking around about to make some tangos’ day go bad. The tangos are going about their business, guarding, smoking, driving around, plotting and scheming, etc. Your team of 9 Ghosts (or maybe 3 teams) is dropped in out of ear shot of the objective area. Your team(s) sneak up on the objective. In a blitz of overwhelming force the objective is secured. Ok, so all the careful planning with the GR2 ATC (filled with GR1 maps) and good comms work doesn’t always end with a clean “win†or a “win†at all. But the planning, structuring, and team work make it so much fun to attempt. It is such a good feeling when you lead your team through a mission and everyone makes it back.

At the very least, please ship GR:AW with a versatile modding tool that allows for custom settings, like adding more than 4 players to CO-OP. Why not mimic the CO-OP offerings of GR1? I know GR:AW and GR1 use completely different engines, but why not allow the GR:AW (PC) engine to offer this kind of versatility?

silent_op

Hi,

Firstly a big thank you to Bo for taking the time out to talk to us it is greatly appreciated by us all here

As an avid MP coop player and team member of TEAM GRNET there are a few questions that I would like to ask Bo.

Silent op posted the following:

I know there are a lot of GR1 PC people who play GR with:

- Threat Indicator turned off

With the Threat Indicator off, people have to look and listen to their surroundings. Good communication with your team will tell you what you don't see.

- IFF turned off

This encourages people to "look" before they shoot. It also forces people to try to keep track of their team mates' general locations.

- Audio file confirmation of kills disabled

Unfortuneately, it doesn't seem possible to turn off the red text confirmed kills. The audio files seem to be easily disabled though.

- Command map red diamonds removed or minimized

There are not that many mods out that completely remove the red diamonds from the command maps. Year of The Monkey is a perfect example. The Alpha Squad mod (latest 2.5), doesn't remove the red diamonds, but it reduces it to a small red dot.

- HUD turned off

It is probably not done by many, but GR1 does give the option to turn off the HUD. You can even turn off parts of the HUD (Gun magazine/ammo counter, and the stance indicator). With the Gun magazine/ammo counter off, you really get a better feeling of having to be careful of your rate of fire.

- No Respawn

Well this goes without saying. Unless you have an army of undead, there is no reason to have this. Ok, it can be fun sometimes. (Ok this is not HUD related, but I just had to throw that in)

I'm well aware that the casual GR1 PC gamer does not do any or all of the above. It is the option to do these things that continue to make GR1 PC entertaining and challenging. Of course IGOR is another huge reason. I'd say that most GR1 PC people played with everything on for the first month or so, and then turned features off to suit their desired level of immersion. The people who still play GR1 PC really try to make the game a more "realistic" squad based tactical simm.

Thanks for listening Bo.

silent_op

These questions really got me thinking, having played GR from the day it landed on the shelf up until the present day, my playing experience and preferences have moved through several phases culminating in my current preference of team based coop play against the AI in either tourney style missions or defend, fire fight etc.

When I ask myself what has kept me here with the one game for all this time I come up with two core answers:

Firstly,

The sheer versatility of the game.

This is where silent op’s question comes in;

When I first started playing with the TI turned off it changed the nature of the game for me.

Last night I played a coop defend on a map from the mod “Year of the monkeyâ€

After all this time I was again treated to a new, more immersive, experience in the game that I love.

By removing all enemy AI from the command map including dead bodies, the experience again changed.

Not knowing if an enemy was dead, or had gone to ground after an inconclusive contact further increased the degree of caution that I had to exert.

I had to use my ears and eyes much more, confirming with team mates that we had all gone firm and the foot falls we could hear must be the enemy infiltrating our position.

No more command map up reveals all!

So, my first key point

I love this game because it is so easy to play it the way that I like to play it either as a result of inbuilt toggleable options or easily modded content. More importantly, the next person can play the same game in a completely different fashion that suits their preferences for exactly the same reason.

Therefore my first direct question:

How much control will an individual or group of individuals have to tailor the game to their preferences?

Secondly,

Team based multi player coop.

The ability for a group of like minded but geographically remote individuals to come together, form a close community, team or clan as the mood takes them and then train and work together to such a degree that they become a cohesive unit with genuine friendships developing outside of the game world.

Last week in an MP coop mission a team mate was in trouble and under fire from a building and was able to make the simple request to his team mates

“Contact Blue 3, suppress red Charlie 4â€

As a result of that request 6 other guns put fire into the 4th window in, on the third floor of the left hand side of the correct building with no further instructions.

Coop play at its best

So, my second key point:

IMHO the best thing this game has going for it in game play terms, is the opportunity for a close knit group of team mates to spend hours together working as a team.

Therefore my second direct question:

When I pick my copy of GRAW of the shelf on the day of release, will I be limited to a coop team made up of myself and three others or will there be the option for a larger team of us to take on the AI in game types?

Thanks in advance

Zeroalpha

Team GRNET

16 player coop is for 360.

Wait, when was that announced? I thought it was still 4 there. :blink:

16 player co-op on Xbox 360 has been known for a while... read any of the co-op previews. I'm not sure about the PC version though, everything is still largely in the dark from what I know.

16 player co-op on Xbox 360 has been known for a while... read any of the co-op previews. I'm not sure about the PC version though, everything is still largely in the dark from what I know.

I give up... I truely do :wall:

yep, we know what we dont know!

can we keep this on track?

(by on track i mean opinions about the key issues or answers greatfully received from those :ph34r: who do know)

yep, we know what we dont know!

can we keep this on track?

(by on track i mean opinions about the key issues or answers greatfully received from those :ph34r: who do know)

It's not that m8. Just how many times... and way's do I have to explain what WE mean by CO-OP?

16 player... even on the 360 is TEAM V TEAM !!!!!!!!!

Me Too :( I have sent this on guys :thumbsup:

OK... guys, i will post the link that states there are 16 for CO-OP (as in 16 people on one team, playing against the AI. That includes the 4 missions, defend, etc.. Terrirories IS against the AI (they keep respawning)).

I'm uploading it now. It'a an interview with Christian, someone else, and a "Frag Doll, who sucks at GR." It's 19:22 minutes long. I will post the link as soon as it's done..... :)

Edited by Trinity22