Official StarForce Feed Back Thread

Colin

I'd like to add spectre that, even if you uninstall the game, the starforce drivers are still on your PC.

It stays on your frikkin' PC! so here's a direct link to download the starforce driver removal tool Here

And I don't even trust StarFarce enough to use their tool. I do it manually. I don't want StarFarce on my PC, let alone use any tool to remove it that came from them.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

touche'! but I've written my states attorney general about this and how it is parallel to the SONY/BMG rootkit fiasco whereby sony/bmg installed software on peoples PC's 1)without thier knowledge or consent and 2)it crashed or ruined the performance of peoples PC's...

If it smells like a dog, if it walks like a dog an dbarks like a dog...it is a dog!

Added: oops forgot to mention that i plan to demonstrate to my states attorney general the fact that the drivers are secretly installed by installing it on my pc for them

added again: Geez, I can't believe this, I found starforce still on my PC. anyway, i have a starforce removal tool that does work in removing the drivers. email me here with your email address and i will try to get it to you ASAP.

Edited by Papa6

warning ppl do not purchase any ubisoft game with starforce included as you will get no tech support from them

this is where i have been posting to get some help from ubi:

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc...8224#6341018224

i have now been told that ubisoft they cannot help at all and even though its their game i need to seek help from starforce:

this is my post at starforce:

http://www.star-force.com/forum/index.php?...&st=0#entry3379

Good luck on getting any help from those jerks.

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing your burning applications?

If I start having burning trouble because of this crap, all I can say here due to forum rules is that I will be waiting for also, for what you are.

I was really looking forward to getting SCCT and FC: Instincts at some point, but will not even think of it now. The only reason I will get GRAW is because I have waited years for that game, but that will be the last, because I will no longer put money into Ubi's pocket, even as addicted as I am to 3 or 4 of their series, as long as they use StarFarce.

I'd rather move on to titles from Bohemia Interactive, which I am sold on anyway. Armed Assault, VBS2.

But after the trouble I had initially getting LD to run, and I have a good system, I just won't do it.

I'm going to try burning some stuff today to see what happens, because I burn alot of CD's also, music, Anime, and backups and the like.

Edited by Specter

I fell like i'm :wall: :wall: :wall: a wall Specter!what do you do if you purchase a game that a top publisher will offer no support for and the copy protection people cant even tell the diferance between error codes :rofl::stupid::rofl: ?

oops, bohemia is also on the list of game companies using this starforce crap. I haven't had any problems, but when you sneakily install your crud on my machine, I got a real problem with it. It's like breaking and entering

my understanding is that starforce is a russian firm who sells starforce to mostly european and united states firms.

Ubisoft probably will lose sales out the butt if this anti starforce movement continues. Actually the PC gaming market will suffer to some degree.

I'd like to add spectre that, even if you uninstall the game, the starforce drivers are still on your PC.

It stays on your frikkin' PC! so here's a direct link to download the starforce driver removal tool Here

that tool fails to remove all traces of the starforce code http://www.glop.org/starforce/remove.php go there and heed their advice. :stupid:

I fell like i'm  :wall: :wall:  :wall:  a wall Specter!what do you do if you purchase a game that a top publisher will offer no support for and the copy protection people cant even tell the diferance between error codes :rofl:  :stupid:  :rofl: ?

Do as I have done, contact your highest legal authority and show thwm what's going on. this is illegal what they are doing. thisis EXACTLY the same as what SONY/BMG did with thier music CD's by installing the rootkits on peoples CD's without thier knowledge, which left them open to hackers. I doubt that starforce leaves us open to attackers at this point but hey, the situation is exactly the same. Sony/BMG sttled out of court too.

oops, bohemia is also on the list of game companies using this starforce crap. I haven't had any problems, but when you sneakily install your crud on my machine, I got a real problem with it. It's like breaking and entering

my understanding is that starforce is a russian firm who sells starforce to mostly european and united states firms.

Ubisoft probably will lose sales out the butt if this anti starforce movement continues. Actually the PC gaming market will suffer to some degree.

Inevitably that will be the end result for pc games but who wants a game that screws up their system, is a £30 game worth playing when your hardware costs £1300 and up. If Ubi include code that they will not offer any support for, well maybe it’s their own fault?

That isn't tech support over there that you posted in. Oh, they call it that, but all it really is, is a StarFarce Corporate "I'm in denial group." They sound like a bunch of addicts over there sitting around in a self help group, getting ready for a big group hug.

With all the details you posted about your issue, there is no reason that they shouldn't have had a fix or a reason for you within hours, a day at most. They are a JOKE, period, and a very bad one at that.

Here is what I posted over there:

Well Pigfister,

I use the same burning apps as you, and since it seems that all you're going to get from the company here is denial of issues(they did the same when they came over to another forum I regularly visit to answer questions, and when they found out that a title they protected was cracked and downloadable before it hit store shelves, they quit coming over), I'll see if I can duplicate them. The only difference is, my burner is a Lite-On DVD burner, but at least I'll try to help you.

Gimme till this evening, and we'll see if we can see what's up.

The funny thing is, I can't think of one title that has this on it, that hasn't been cracked since the title's release.

So much for copy protection. I think one guy in another forum I belong to managed to find only one title with this on that hasn't been cracked.

It's a real shame that people have to run cracked copies of games that have this stuff on it.

Copy protection...yeah, riiiiiiiight. More like Malware.

Now, even if BIA uses it, they will support their products, and are very good about support for their products and bug fixes. That is the difference.

Edited by Specter

You know... im thinking...

I wont buy a game with starforce... EVER

Even if it doesnt cause problems...

still causes errors for users who legally bought their game and not to mention it still gets cracked ......

Let alone it is installing things without your known permission.

So I say good day to you sir starforce. Your mission was a failure thus far and your tech problems / program has ruined itself.

Inevitably that will be the end result for pc games but who wants a game that screws up their system, is a £30 game worth playing when your hardware costs £1300 and up. If Ubi include code that they will not offer any support for, well maybe it’s their own fault?

I will check into the BIA thing. If they are using it, I don't think they are using it on everything. I'm going to do some checking and talking, and see if I can find out what it's used on.

Ya know, there are lots of CP out there that don't invade your system. They don't install drivers, and they don't fubar apps like this did to you.

One title in particular stands out to me, and I'll tell you why I tried to copy it.

I got a copy of Todd Lammle's Cisco Virtual Lab E-trainer for Cisco routers, and I used that thing to death, and have never been able to find another copy of it to buy. So, one day, I tried to dupe it. I think it's about 6 years old now. Anyway, I tried to dupe it last week, because I noticed it was getting scratched up. It re-installed fine, and I could even do file copy, so I know the disc was readable. That disc was copy protected and wouldn't copy for anything in the world. And that copy protection managed to do everything that StarFarce doesn't, without system invasion, without drive damage or inoperability, and without hassle. It just simple wouldn't copy.

And what's funny is, the disc and the 400 page Cisco book that came with it were cheaper than what I just forked over for LD.

I have nothing against CP, if a publisher feels they need it, and they feel it will save them money, and actually help the cause.

I do have a problem with something that I'm forced to use that is proven not to work, and invades your system like Germany invaded Europe in WWII.

Ubi, please find an alternative. There are better ones out there. Hell, I'd rather have to authenticate and activate a product to use it like MS Office now does, Adobe products, Newtek, etc. That works better than StarFarce, doesn't invade your system, and allows you to make backup of your expensive media. It makes everyone reasonably happy.

This stuff you have now is a nightmare, and I will be greatly disappointed not to get to buy the game series' I've been collecting, because I will no longer put up with StarFarce. It will be a real bummer to have to give up my GR and R6/RS/FC/SC habits, just because of this ****. But I will, because StarFarce just isn't worth the aggravation.

I just want to clear up right now, from a BIA rep that BIA does not use StarFarce, they use USB keys that you just plug in, and athentication takes place there. No muss, no fuss.

I knew that is the one title I have does it, and it's a dream to work with. But I verified from an extremely reliable source that BIA doesn't use StarFarce.

So rest easy, andget that BIA title. It will be worh it.

Edited by Specter

brothers in arms earned in blood uk ver has starforce drivers included

Another Ubi game, NOT a BIA game.

BIA games come included with a USB key that handles the security.

Simply put, you have the USB key in a USB slot, and when you play the game, it authenticates to a unique USB key.

Very handy, very safe for your machine, and hassle free.

Simply put, you have the USB key in a USB slot, and when you play the game, it authenticates to a unique USB key.

I'm for that :thumbsup: its like a badge of honor too. Does it have BIA stamped on the USB?

I found this tidbit of info at Wonderland: Boycott starforce;

Starforce drivers, installed on your system, grant ring 0 (system level) privileges to any code under the ring 3 (user level) privileges. Thus, any virus or trojan can get OS privileges and totally control your system. Since Windows 2000, the Windows line security and stability got enhanced by separating those privileges, but with the Starforce drivers, the old system holes and instabilities are back and any program (or virus) can reach the core of your system by using the Starforce drivers as a backdoor.

here are JM's words from starforce about starforce himself..pay close attention here, he mentions codemasters as one company who uses starforce.

the link below is of a screenshot JM of starforce posted on a forum about copy protections and namely starforce.

http://www.glop.org/starforce/images/starf...icial-words.png

I was mistaken about bohemia, they use thier own or a different one called "fade" that diminishes play quality of copies..still this is against "fair use" laws in the US as people are allowed to make a archival copy of thier movies, audio CD's and Pc games. so US consumers can call thier respective states attorney generals and start large scale class action lawsuits if necessary.

usb device to varify games

awsome!... [Thing that should not be spoken of here IAW Forum Rule 3.7] as long as you have a usb device that came with the game... would be great ... no more scratched cds... or soon to be dvds

I'm for that :thumbsup: its like a badge of honor too. Does it have BIA stamped on the USB?

No. Marx Cryptobox.