Civilians meandering about in GRAW

OSPerry

I remember in GR1, on Xbox, there were always civilians about. I thought it added a bit to the game.

I would think with a next gen game that it would add to the realism if they put civilians into the campaigns. Has this been addressed.

I had kind of forgotten about it, until someone mentioned it on the TeamXbox forums, and I thought it was a valid point.

It would definitly add another dimension to it if you had to watch where you were shooting and blowing up vehicles and such with civilians lives taken into consideration.

Well the area of the city you’re in has been taken over by “terrorist” (or whatever…we sure don’t want to offend anyone :shifty: ) so I can’t see people just walking around. I would think that the people would have evacuated considering there are guys walking around with automatic machine guns.

It's actually one of the "holes" I'm worried about made in terms of more accessible (And understandably, easier to design) gameplay.

My guess right now is that no, you won't see civillians scurrying about, let alone large numbers of civillians. I also remember reading literature/summaries/press info etc. that (portions of?) mexico city had been evacuated in the face of this coup, and that it was up to your Ghosts, already on the ground to go in and clean stuff up.

Only, you know, any recent look at Hurricanes Katrina and Rita will show you how quickly people can "evacuate" out of a city. Never mind that this city is constantly vying for the "most populated city on earth" crown and has huge swaths of population without the means to move themselves out rapidly.

And never mind that these events, as it now seems to be revealed, drops out quick ...over a period of several (as little as three?) days.

Sort of a big logic hole to deal with, and while many might be crouching down in their residences and offices hoping not to get nailed, I'm sure shanty-town walls and roofs are gonna provide great cover against mini-guns wiping enemies off of structures and the errant AT round.

...though it's certainly easy enough to see why such depth of environment wasn't addressed, both from a development point of view and from burdening the player with many more logistical, moral and unpleasant dealings.

The last point also brings up another question of mine. Why is there a giant minigun assembly blocking the crew door of a blackhawk, and why is Captain Mitchel, professional ground-pounder manning it instead of Crew-Chief Charlie...you know, professional blackhawk weapons station crew chief? :)