OpenGL, or DirectX?

johnnyblossom

Its rare to find games nowadays with the smooth Open GL GFX, The last game i played with Open GL was Quake III arena , miss that game.

most games are equiped with nvidea or direct x...

Overall it depends what game it is ...

In my opinion Open GL is better ..

Actually, DirectX is part of Windows that provides drivers for OpenGL and Direct3D.

Definitely Direct3D.

OpenGL was used alot in the 90's when video cards were making leaps and bounds, but you don't see it much anymore.

Direct3D is the hot stuff, and has been for awhile.

Edited by Specter

I've read pages and pages of text online concerning this question, and I'm no nearer an answer.

When given a choice between DirectX and OpenGL, which should I be opting for, and why?

I don't suppose you are developing a game, otherwise you'd know the answer to your question.

Basically, use OpenGL for any game based on game engines created by id.

Use DirectX for pretty much everything else.

:o

Can't believe this statement is coming from one of our top resident anit-M$ forum members. ;):lol:

I've read pages and pages of text online concerning this question, and I'm no nearer an answer.

When given a choice between DirectX and OpenGL, which should I be opting for, and why?

I don't suppose you are developing a game, otherwise you'd know the answer to your question.

Basically, use OpenGL for any game based on game engines created by id.

Use DirectX for pretty much everything else.

:o

Can't believe this statement is coming from one of our top resident anit-M$ forum members. ;):lol:

I know, I know.

But....

I'm not a developer. Like all of you, I'm stuck riding the train someone else is driving.

And the term is Anti-MS ZEALOT ! ! :whistle::thumbsup::rofl:

I'll tell Dannik on you if you keep flaming me by calling me anything but the gr.net ZEALOT ! ! :rofl::yes:

Edited by Specter

DirectX also has all kind of sound and networking libraries built in that can be used.  However, if you are looking for cross platform portability, OpenGL is the way to go.

Specter - come on man!  Supporting DirectX! What about Linux!? ;)

Supporting DirectX?! Not in this life, and you should know better, man ! ! :nono::o

Like I said, it's not my world, man. I'm just living in it. :thumbsup:

If we want to play games, for right now, we are stuck with Winblows. No getting around it...YET.

But with the strides Linux is making now, it won't be long ! !

I can see right now, that by letting up on Colin and his love for all things Microsoft, that my reputation is now in question.

I should have to remedy that straight away.

Sigh. You guys are killing me here. :blink::wall::rofl:

Edited by Specter