Caseless ammo?

OPSIXDELTA

hey guys, can anyone explain to me the reason for gun manufacturers investigating caseless ammo, i mean i understand the advantage of not have to manufacture cases, and have the round completely self contained with no case ejection from the gun, but what are some of the other reasons. And why did they choose 6.8mm, or what ever the mesurement is. How do you think this will translate to graw, now that we know one of the weapons is a caseless. is there a gameplay advantage to the gun. just curious........christian?? can you answer

sorry for being ignorant, i did research a bit, but the sites i read werent very informative as to the advantages of it.

Edited by OPSIXDELTA

Those are actually good questions and not ignorant at all.

Frankly I don't see how caseless ammo will affect gameplay in the least.

The point of caseless ammo is to reduce weight and also it allows for a gun that can simply have a gas exhaust port that can expel gases straight down or up, and so a left handed shooter will not be affected by hot cases ejecting in their face.

For those who don't think cases are hot, try catching one straight out of an ejection port before it hits the ground. I have burned my right arm numerous times at gun ranges when shooting my M16. In full auto mode one hot case always manages to bounce off of the right barrier and land on my arm.

The weight factor may not seem significant, but when you are carrying 300rds of ammo it adds up.

Also in the future when the production techniques are "perfected" the cost of having to enclose everything in brass is also a consideration. Of course right now the caseless ammo costs more to produce.

Those are actually good questions and not ignorant at all.

Frankly I don't see how caseless ammo will affect gameplay in the least.

The point of caseless ammo is to reduce weight and also it allows for a gun that can simply have a gas exhaust port that can expel gases straight down or up, and so a left handed shooter will not be affected by hot cases ejecting in their face.

For those who don't think cases are hot, try catching one straight out of an ejection port before it hits the ground. I have burned my right arm numerous times at gun ranges when shooting my M16. In full auto mode one hot case always manages to bounce off of the right barrier and land on my arm.

The weight factor may not seem significant, but when you are carrying 300rds of ammo it adds up.

Also in the future when the production techniques are "perfected" the cost of having to enclose everything in brass is also a consideration. Of course right now the caseless ammo costs more to produce.

thanks for the reply. i read about the hk g11, and found that it can have 3 magazines attached at one time, and that each mag, holds 45 rounds of caseless ammo, giving someone carrying the gun around a total of 135 rounds, with out switching magazines, on an assualt rifle. Jchung, do you know anymore in regards to the hk G11, or the gun in GRAW (i dont know its name) thanks.

I believe the caseless ammo helps the gun achieve a high rate of fire, so a 3 round burst can be fired before recoil causes the gun to move.

On the CRYE the placement of the magazine seems advantageous to me. With a traditional weapon clip like in a M-16, if you end up hitting the clip on the ground, this can result in a double feed. So with the Crye, if you dive to the ground or fire from a prone postion on the ground, you don't have to worry about the gun clip striking the ground as much and feeding two rounds.

I'm sure jchung will be around soon to answer this question... *taps wristwatch*

EDIT:  Holy crap, you posted that right before me... lol... too funny.

Beat you to the punch.;)

@Opsixdelta

The G11 came out a long time ago, and frankly I don't remember much of what I saw back then.

As far as the mags go, they do need to be switched. Only one of the mags feed at any given time.

The high cyclic rate is acheived because there is no requirement for extraction of a case. However, from what I remember this can only be acheived in a 3 round burst. In full auto mode the cyclic rate drops considerably.

The G11 was scraped, and back then part of the issue was that the caseless ammo would quickly degrade making storage in less than optimal conditions nearly impossible. By comparison, I have shot seven year old 5.56mm ammo and I worked just like new ammo. I have even read in a mag test that 30rd mags were stored away for over fifteen years and all the rounds lit off just fine. The point of the test was not even the ammo, but whether the mag springs would still function properly.

As far as the gun in GRAW goes, I really don't know that much about it. I generally stick to guns that I can actually shoot, since you really are taking the opinions of other people when you talk about stuff you have never gotton your hands on (of course it also depends on who is giving the opinion).

Sorry, but that is all I know.