GR:AW Grenades

Dai-San

Killing range of Frag grenades is to short in every single game i played.

Paste form Wikipedia :

"These grenades are usually classed as defensive grenades because the effective casualty radius is greater than the distance it can be thrown; it is assumed that they will be thrown from behind cover at attackers."

How far regular soldier can throw a nade ? I think it'll be about ~30 m.

In most of FPP the killing range of a frag grenade is about 3-5 m.

PS. Of course i understan that 40 m killing range dosent mean that every single person within this radius is going to die but still it possible to die hit by a shrapnel from a frag which explode 50 m from your position.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<- Late - As usual...

You can throw a grenade while running (c'mon, anyone here ever play baseball?) It's possible, but very inaccurate.

What I think should be done (and this has probably be answered) is allow you to "wind up" your throw while running, but to actually release it you have to be standing still. That's realistic... ever throw something towards/at/over a building... gotta get a running start, but you'll usually stop at the last possible moment to throw whatever it is you're throwing.

Just my two cents for what they're worth.

<- Late - As usual...

You can throw a grenade while running (c'mon, anyone here ever play baseball?) It's possible, but very inaccurate.

What I think should be done (and this has probably be answered) is allow you to "wind up" your throw while running, but to actually release it you have to be standing still. That's realistic... ever throw something towards/at/over a building... gotta get a running start, but you'll usually stop at the last possible moment to throw whatever it is you're throwing.

Just my two cents for what they're worth.

That's a good point, it would be cool to be able to "prepare" the grenade while still in movement (maybe restricting the player to walk only), and then have to stop for throwing... But then again I don't know if that's what real soldiers would do.

By the way, these smiley scare me. Are they supposed to be GRIN smileys or what? :blink:

Actually I would disagree with the inaccurate remark. I played baseball for years, and often when you field a ground ball you don't have time to set before throwing to first base. Heck, when playing shortstop haven't you ever fielded a ground ball that was wide to your right, and with your body still moving to the right you turn and still hit the glove of the first baseman? Throwing with accuracy while in motion is not THAT difficult.

However, throwing a grenade while in motion is another story. I have tossed a dummy grenade, and I can tell you firsthand that it is NOTHING like throwing a baseball or football. I understand the analogy that you are making, and I can see your point of view, but unless you have actually tossed a real grenade, it is hard to really compare the two.

First, I always hated the rediculous 70m throwing range of GR1, which couldn't get modded to a more realistic 35-40m.

Next, throwing a grenade is nothing like throwing a baseball, hollywood notwithstanding. It's a lot more like shotputting. They're heavy. And scary as hell, the second most scary thing I did in basic training was throwing grenades.

the second most scary thing I did in basic training was throwing grenades.

I believe it. The dummy grenade I threw was pretty heavy, and the thing that really got my attention was how deliberate your motion has to be. Your experience must have been something, because with the dummy I threw, at least I didn't have to worry about it going off.

With a baseball you can quickly snap off a throw and still get 80% or more of the distance that you would if you made a very deliberate throw like an outfielder. It is kind of like a snowball fight where you pop up and quickly snap off a throw. I found that with the grenade I threw, this was not the case. With all the extra weight that a grenade has over a baseball, I found that I had to take more time and care into making a much more deliberate arc type motion to get the most distance out of the throw.

There is just no possible way that anyone can make a quick pop up snap throw from the ear that a catcher makes to take out someone trying to steal second. Considering that during combat it is unlikely that you will be able to stand in the open and make the most of a throw, the 35-40m distance is probably right on the money. However, if you are behind a wall, standing upright, and have the chance to really put all of your arm into it, then you probably could get some more distance. Your stance in the game should really affect how far you can throw the ######.

Just been watching some videos over at IGN.com and their preview of GRAW, one of the vids had a player throwing frags at all sorts of things. One part had the player walking backwards and throwing a frag. So, hopefully that will give you an indication of what the frag throwing will be like. I didn't see any running and throwing, so perhaps you can only walk and throw.

I just watched the new 1Up video and as in previouis GR titles and R6 titles to boot the character grab a grenade, pull the pin, lob it, and immediatly reach for another grenade...

I don't know if this had been addressed in the past (and certainly not in the grenade thread) but would a soldier do this or would he / she grab his primary weapon immediately?

I've been caught too many times (in RvS) with a grenade in my hands when a target pops around the corner and plugs me. Actually its a great tactic in MP on RvS, to wait until a grenade is tossed and then pop up knowing the thrower has his hands full.

I'd like to propose an option toggle (to Bo / Grin or to any modders) to allow the soldier to toss one grenade and then either grab his primary or grab another grenade. Any thoughts?

By the way, the vid shows great game play; I can't wait for the demo and then the release! :grin1:

I just watched the new 1Up video and  as in previouis GR titles and R6 titles to boot the character grab a grenade, pull the pin, lob it, and immediatly reach for another grenade...

I don't know if this had been addressed in the past (and certainly not in the grenade thread) but would a soldier do this or would he / she grab his primary weapon immediately? 

I've been caught too many times (in RvS) with a grenade in my hands when a target pops around the corner and plugs me.  Actually its a great tactic in MP on RvS, to wait until a grenade is tossed and then pop up knowing the thrower has his hands full.

I'd like to propose an option toggle  (to Bo / Grin or to any modders) to allow the soldier to toss one grenade and then either grab his primary or grab another grenade.  Any thoughts?

By the way, the vid shows great game play;  I can't wait for the demo and then the release!  :grin1:

Actually you can throw the grenade then switch with the F key and whatever weapon you want to come up comes up. you do not need to take up another grenade - but you can. better than toggles in menus as we found it.

I just watched the new 1Up video and  as in previouis GR titles and R6 titles to boot the character grab a grenade, pull the pin, lob it, and immediatly reach for another grenade...

I've been caught too many times (in RvS) with a grenade in my hands when a target pops around the corner and plugs me.  Actually its a great tactic in MP on RvS, to wait until a grenade is tossed and then pop up knowing the thrower has his hands full.

I'd like to propose an option toggle  (to Bo / Grin or to any modders) to allow the soldier to toss one grenade and then either grab his primary or grab another grenade.  Any thoughts?

By the way, the vid shows great game play;  I can't wait for the demo and then the release!  :grin1:

Actually you can throw the grenade then switch with the F key and whatever weapon you want to come up comes up. you do not need to take up another grenade - but you can. better than toggles in menus as we found it.

Hi Bo,

When you press F, is the command queued? What I mean is that right when I start throwing the nade can I press F and have the soldier automatically swich to his primary when the animation allows? Or does one have to press it at a precise moment?

Edited by Lethal.Ambition

I'd like to propose an option toggle  (to Bo / Grin or to any modders) to allow the soldier to toss one grenade and then either grab his primary or grab another grenade.   Any thoughts?

By the way, the vid shows great game play;  I can't wait for the demo and then the release!   :grin1:

Hi Bo,

When you press F, is the command queued? What I mean is that right when I start throwing the nade can I press F and have the soldier automatically swich to his primary when the animation allows? Or does one have to press it at a precise moment?

Can I say semi qued? as it wont que several taps etc.

For those who have no idea about throwing or using grenades and whether there is enough smoke from them when they explode, check out the SOI video I just posted in the Joining the Miltiary thread in the Real Military forum. Notice that they are behind cover and that the explosion only kicks up dust around where the grenade landed. Now, it will be hard to judge how far the throw is due to the angle of the film, but I can tell you it is about 40 yards if that.

Forty is going to be big ol' dudes (i.e. Ghosts) who can make that!  Maybe WK and Bo might make that in RL, but I know my limits, I could not throw a gernade more than 25-30 yards...

I'd have to agree with you bohica....I have tossed live grenades and dummies, there is no difference between the two weight wise, but I will guarantee you this, that live one I threw, when I pulled that pin I couldn't wait to get that thing away from me as fast as possible and that sucker went a mile.. I wasn't scared just very respectful that the thing could possibly malfunction and doing so would not look pretty....I probably heaved that thing about 35 yards and I am a big guy and I threw it hard....so I think this game may actually be realistic.. [GR] 1.4 patch is totally unrealistic in the nade throwing...I mean I can throw one across some of the maps like MP river...

Off topic but funny...while in Basic Training we were watching behind explosion proof glass while the other students were throwing live nades and this soldier got scared crapless and dropped the nade at the DS' feet, the DS picked it up and just got it over the barrier and dropped to the ground covering the trainee when it exploded like 5 yards away....that soldier did not have any butt left after that....kinda funny watching someone do push-ups in full battle rattle lol...

warmaster

lmao how could anyone say that throwing a nade while moving is unrealistic .... I think any baseball player would take that as an insult. Ofcourse you can throw a nade at the very least semi accuarately. One thing we can all trust in is that in the fog of war if that nade has to be in a certain location to save ur life and your sqauds ....that nade will make it there moving, crawling, crouching, fighting, scream, bleeding, or anything else. You all play to many video games :P:rofl:

Edited by Xeno