Any Word on a GR2 Map Mod?

cryptomorph

I was thinking a while back after centcom doing a sequal to centcom but more of a gr2 type setting in north korea based on a similar theme. we will have to see how things go after centcom comes out if i still am interested in the idea and what the guys think. here was my origional post: http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...ndpost&p=276225

I was thinking a while back after centcom doing a sequal to centcom but more of a gr2 type setting in north korea based on a similar theme. we will have to see how things go after centcom comes out if i still am interested in the idea and what the guys think.  here was my origional post:  http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...ndpost&p=276225

It seems you were hoping for moders to extract the maps from the PS2 or XBox editions. I was hoping that someone with connections to RSE could pull a few strings and make those GR2 maps available. As I remember, the screen shots were fantastic.

So what's the story behind the SOAF maps again? Rocky... was that you?

...I was hoping that someone with connections to RSE could pull a few strings and make those GR2 maps available. As I remember, the screen shots were fantastic.

Yes, and me too, but I would happily have paid for an official, ported Maps Only Expansion Pack - seems it could have made inroads towards making up for the awful disappointment of the cancellation of GR2-PC. I would have enjoyed playing any of the community's many .gtfs on those maps along w/my fav skins & weapons mods!

So what's the story behind the SOAF maps again? Rocky... was that you?

AFAIK, the SOAF map pack available is not actually an official one, and though debate remains, apparently whenever modders have sought official authorization they have been unsuccessful in obtaining it. :blink:

Your not going to see the GR2 PC maps released for GR1. The collision system is entirely different, the maps use shader effects the GR1 engine can't do etc. The tools to create GR1 stuff is extremely outdated, and it isn't worth the time. GR1 is, for all intents and purposes, dead. Modders are keeping it alive, but outside of the people in the communitty, its done, and has been for a long time.

There was never a "SOAF Map Pack", SOAF is a standlone game. The SOAF issue is simple, if you own both SOAF and GR you can use the maps with the other game. If you don't own both, you can't. You cannot create mods with them included, on their own. RSE has made that clear, more than once.

It seems you were hoping for moders to extract the maps from the PS2 or XBox editions.

no what i was going to do is make maps in 3d studio max based on the gr2 maps from the consoles but make them for ghost recon 1. not extracting them from consoles as that is impossible but build them from scratch for gr1 but model them after say the xbox maps.

Your not going to see the GR2 PC maps released for GR1.  The collision system is entirely different, the maps use shader effects the GR1 engine can't do etc.  The tools to create GR1 stuff is extremely outdated, and it isn't worth the time.  GR1 is, for all intents and purposes, dead.  Modders are keeping it alive, but outside of the people in the community, its done, and has been for a long time.

OK... thanks for the explanation. It's a shame though. As for GR1... I think its demise is greatly exaggerated.

There was never a "SOAF Map Pack", SOAF is a standlone game.  The SOAF issue is simple, if you own both SOAF and GR you can use the maps with the other game.  If you don't own both, you can't. You cannot create mods with them included, on their own.  RSE has made that clear, more than once.

As for the SOAF map pack, I thought it was made available by someone with connections to RSE. Maybe I dreamt it.

A mind is a terrible thing to.....err.... misplace!

As for the SOAF map pack, I thought it was made available by someone with connections to RSE. Maybe I dreamt it. A mind is a terrible thing to.....err.... misplace!

Not to worry, you didn't "dream" the SOAF Map Pack! It exists, is available for d/l at a number of sites, called SOAF Full Map Pack, usually in .rar format.

As I'd mentioned in an earlier post, there is debate over how the modder came to pack these SOAF maps (with some small changes made, mostly re zones, in order for GR .gtfs to be playable on these maps). For example, here is the modscontents.txt from the SOAF Full Map Pack Mod:

"// Mods Contents

NAME "Sum of All Fears Map Pack"

AUTHOR "Red Storm Entertainment"

SUPPORT "http://www.thecombatzone.net"

VERSION "1.00"

MULTIPLAYER "Server-Client"

Thanks goes out to Sam Copur and others at UbiSoft for allowing us to use the Sum of All Fears Maps for Ghost Recon play. Without his help this would not have been possible. We strongly suggest you pick up a copy of Sum of All Fears if you like these maps. The Sum of All Fears is a great multiplayer matchplay game. The action is fast, the games move quickly, and the game itself has some innovations and improvements over Ghost Recon. This is GR mixed with RogueSpear at its finest. You can pick up a copy of The Sum of all Fears and support your favorite game developer by investing in a copy now. Then join up on the The Combat Zone ladder to play a wild team match. "

:lightning:

Not to worry, you didn't "dream" the SOAF Map Pack! It exists, is available for d/l at a number of sites, called SOAF Full Map Pack, usually in .rar format.

I didn't mean to suggest I dreamt the SOAF map pack exists... since I have it. Only that given NYR32's comments, maybe I dreamt there was a connection to RSE. But your notes below look familar so perhaps that's where I learned of it.

"// Mods Contents

NAME "Sum of All Fears Map Pack"

AUTHOR "Red Storm Entertainment"

SUPPORT "http://www.thecombatzone.net"

VERSION "1.00"

MULTIPLAYER "Server-Client"

Thanks goes out to Sam Copur and others at UbiSoft for allowing us to use the Sum of All Fears Maps for Ghost Recon play.  Without his help this would not have been possible.  We strongly suggest you pick up a copy of Sum of All Fears if you like these maps.  The Sum of All Fears is a great multiplayer matchplay game.  The action is fast, the games move quickly, and the game itself has some innovations and improvements over Ghost Recon.  This is GR mixed with RogueSpear at its finest.  You can pick up a copy of The Sum of all Fears and support your favorite game developer by investing in a copy now.  Then join up on the The Combat Zone ladder to play a wild team match.  "

:lightning: